UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 23rd Nov 2020, 8:37 am   #1
wireless_john
Heptode

Default Ekco U319A

This is my latest acquisition! It belonged to a friend of mine who had been using it regularly in his garage. Then he decided to have a clear out and told me that if I didn't want it, he was taking it to the tip. Naturally, I did want it!

A quick look and it doesn't look as if its ever been 'restored'. It looks as if the dropper resistor has been changed at some point and that's about all.

The date scratched into the case on the inside is 10th February 1959.

I think it should come up well. It has a ding in the brass strip underneath the loudspeaker but looks good otherwise.

First challenge will be to remove the knobs without breaking them!

John
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ekcou319a.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	88.3 KB
ID:	221051   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ekcou319adate2.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	40.0 KB
ID:	221052  
Old 23rd Nov 2020, 9:23 am   #2
Nuvistor
Dekatron

Default Re: Ekco U319A

Decent radio, I repaired one a few years ago, worked very well. I don’t have it now. Don’t forget the Hunts decoupler inside the FM tuner, I am sure there is one hidden in there.
Old 23rd Nov 2020, 11:17 am   #3
music-centre
Heptode

Yes these work well, you can try some string looped around the centre knobs but I resorted to a couple of thin bladed knives each side under the centre knob and lever it back against the outer one
Steve.
Old 23rd Nov 2020, 6:45 pm   #4
wireless_john
Heptode

Thank you both. This is the second one I've done and I managed to break one last time. One of the centre ones and they're not the same on both sides although they look it externally. Fortunately, Howard (haven't seen him on here for a while) came to my rescue and sent me a replacement.

John