UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 15th Nov 2020, 1:09 pm   #1
DMcMahon
Dekatron

Default Name this Reel to Reel

Can anybody identify this very distinctive looking wide deep bodied upright reel to reel. The metal spools are Uher. It was featured in a film I watched a few nights back that had several reel to reel recorders.

I do not recognize it but am sure someone will. Not the best of images captured from the TV screen.

David
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Name this R2R.jpg
Views:	257
Size:	92.4 KB
ID:	220415  
Old 15th Nov 2020, 1:32 pm   #2
Ted Kendall
Dekatron

Default Re: Name this Reel to Reel

Nagra, I think. And the right hand spool is Agfa.
Old 15th Nov 2020, 2:40 pm   #3
ricard
Octode

I was going to protest, as I felt it didn't have a Nagra look to it, but I realized I should do better than to argue with Ted, and of course he's right: it's a Nagra TRVR logging recorder from 1979:

https://www.nagraaudio.com/product/trvr/

Interestingly though, the machine in the OP's picture seems to have a logo on the cover over what looks to be the capstan at the top of the tape path, which doesn't seem to be there in the picture in the link.
Old 15th Nov 2020, 4:20 pm   #4
DMcMahon
Dekatron

A very interesting machine. I think one of the other ones in the film (a little red portable) was also a Nagra.
Old 15th Nov 2020, 5:46 pm   #5
Radio Wrangler

Must have been a big budget production

David
Old 15th Nov 2020, 7:26 pm   #6
DMcMahon
Dekatron

I think the film (Atomic Blonde) was quite a big film at the time.

David
Old 15th Nov 2020, 10:09 pm   #7
DMcMahon
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricard View Post
Interestingly though, the machine in the OP's picture seems to have a logo on the cover over what looks to be the capstan at the top of the tape path, which doesn't seem to be there in the picture in the link.
The logo possibly looks a bit like a variation on a crown, the machine was being used by MI6 and there are various MI6 logos with crowns.
Old 16th Nov 2020, 12:58 pm   #8
TIMTAPE
Octode

The great TRVR from 1979. A key feature is the DD capstan motor attached to the large 24mm dia capstan shaft. No pinch roller. Just the friction from the tape pressed against the capstan shaft is enough to pull the tape along.

In normal operation there's always controlled tension on the tape from the DC reel motors. Even in fast wind, the capstan shaft controls tape speed. There are mechanical brakes but they are only used to clamp the reels stationary when the machine isnt operating. When going from play or fast wind to stop the capstan motor always controls the decelleration.

Perhaps a weakness of the machine is that there are no tape lifters. Like the old Ferrographs the tape always scrapes against the heads and it has five of those.

Last edited by TIMTAPE; 16th Nov 2020 at 1:20 pm.
Old 17th Nov 2020, 7:09 am   #9
ricard
Octode

Why five heads? Is it some form of autoreverse mechanism?

(A frivoulous guess on my part would be that being a logging recorder, it records and plays back in both directions, but only erases (the whole width of the tape) in one direction, thus two record and two playback heads and a single erase head. But I have no clue, really).

Regarding the lack of tape lifters, most use of this machine in it's intended environment would have been been recording over and over again, with only the occasional playback of material, so perhaps they figured the additional wear on the heads was quite small?
Old 17th Nov 2020, 7:32 am   #10
TIMTAPE
Octode

I guess they only record in the standard direction as there is only the one erase head but they certainly play in reverse even though two track stereo. I think they could be linked to another TRVR for automatic record switchover for longer record times. The five heads are erase, record and play audio, and record and play time code (centre track like other Nagras).

Yes I guess recordings werent necessarily played back unless there was a reason to, but these days with new heads no longer made and good heads with life still in them hard to source and at a premium price, the less head wear the better, or at least that's my motto.
Closed Thread