UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 14th Nov 2020, 10:55 am   #1
beery
Heptode

Default Ekco A23 in a parcel!

Hi all,
I'd been after an Ekco A23 for a while. In the absence of actual collectors fairs due to Covid restrictions I decided to take a gamble on buying one online and getting it posted.
I spent many months waiting for a set to come up at the right price, with a good cabinet, all its knobs, a well preserved tuning scale and with the cardboard back in place.
Finally I found one and had it delivered to my workplace. Now I was a bit wary of actually opening up the big heavy parcel when it arrived. I had resigned myself to the fact that the I might have wasted my money on a big bakelite jigsaw.
However, by some miracle it turned up nicely boxed and well covered in bubble wrap and with no shipping damage whatsoever

I would have had it delivered to my house, but I was unexpectedly unfurloughed for November, so I now have three weeks to take it home bit by bit (I don't have a car.)
I removed the back and the valves. These are like new apart from the ECH35 which has had the screening paint fall off from the contact wire.
Upon removing the speaker and baffle board I found that the lovely ‘mountain range’ speaker cloth is crumbling to dust.
I've removed 3 of the knobs, but the fourth it proving to be a problem. I will have to wait till Monday lunchtime to resume.
All together I’m very happy with my purchase.

Updates to follow.
Cheers
Andy
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20201113_132802s.jpg
Views:	430
Size:	90.3 KB
ID:	220334   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20201113_140012s.jpg
Views:	352
Size:	84.2 KB
ID:	220335  
Old 14th Nov 2020, 11:02 am   #2
HamishBoxer
Dekatron

Default Re: Ekco A23 in a parcel!

These sets work very well when restored,I have 2 here but never fetch much money.

Never seen one much over £35,not sure why they are not a bit more sort after.
Old 14th Nov 2020, 11:12 am   #3
electrogram
Heptode

Knobs that can't be removed are a particular problem with these sets. On at least one occasion , rather than damage the knob attempting to remove it, I have cut through the spindle, inside the cabinet, with a hacksaw blade, using a spindle coupler when reassembling. Awkward job but better than losing the knob.
Old 14th Nov 2020, 12:52 pm   #4
Vintage_RC
Heptode

A nice looking example of the Ekco A23, you are indeed fortunate that the bakelite suffered no transit damage.
Old 14th Nov 2020, 1:31 pm   #5
AC/HL
Dekatron

We all know that transit damage is all too common, for various reasons.

It's not a factor here, so can we concentrate on the radio please.
Old 14th Nov 2020, 1:50 pm   #6

A rectangular A22 in essence.

Old 14th Nov 2020, 1:56 pm   #7
Simon Gittins
Heptode

There's a useful article from 1996 in the BVWS: https://www.bvws.org.uk/publications...olume21number2

I had to sleeve some of the rubber wiring in mine. It's a good performer.
Old 14th Nov 2020, 3:27 pm   #8
Lloyd 1985
Nonode

I’ve got one of these, they are remarkably large! Mine was from one of the first NVCF’s I ever went to back in 2004, cost me £40, and had been restored already by the guy selling it. It is a very good radio, I haven’t fired mine up in a long time, it’s up on a high shelf that I can’t reach at present!

Regards
Lloyd
Old 14th Nov 2020, 4:46 pm   #9
McMurdo
Dekatron

Good radios, and fond memories as it was one of the first valve radios I got going. Didnt need much, the output valve was distorting so fitted a new one, the little celluloid button labels were missing so I made new ones.
Old 14th Nov 2020, 8:26 pm   #10
cathoderay57
Nonode

Flaking metallised paint on the ECH35 is unlikely to cause any problem; not so with the EF39. If you have to remove the EF39 be careful to hold it by the base, not the glass and if possible gently lever it from below with a screwdriver. Cheers, Jerry
Old 14th Nov 2020, 9:16 pm   #11
Horris
Hexode

They are lovely sets. I have restored 2 of them. It’s a pity they are so undervalued.

Dave
Old 14th Nov 2020, 10:19 pm   #12
MurphyNut
Heptode

I think the A23 was made in large numbers and not rare hence their value, this doesn't detract from the fact they are very good radios.
Something that puzzles me with this set is the tagged switches, they look upside down. Someone with this set will probably know what I mean.
Old 15th Nov 2020, 2:17 pm   #13
Dennis M
Pentode

beery, if you want a replacement speaker cloth there is one here that you can have.

Jetstream320 gave me a complete set a couple of months ago along with a spare set of innards.
Old 17th Nov 2020, 1:37 am   #14
beery
Heptode

Hi all,
Thanks for your encouraging replies.
Simon, thanks for pointing me to the BVWS article.

Clive, I've enjoyed seeing your set in your bakelite YouTube video. I see what you mean about the knobs. It also means that the grub screws are pointing upwards where you can see them. Very odd. Can any A22 owners confirm if the similar knobs on those sets are also upside down?

Dennis, that's great. I'll send you a pm.

I had another go at removing the tone control knob. I've tried WD40, a very hot soldering iron on the grub screw and freezer spray on the shaft, but no movement as yet. Maybe acid is the answer? I shall continue to plug away at it.

Cheers
Andy
Old 17th Nov 2020, 8:07 am   #15
Gabe001
Octode

Hi Andy, the 2 spoons trick from this forum worked well for me in the past to remove stuck knobs. I have used it just last week to get the knobs of a KB MR10, which is renowned for breaking knobs.

Protect the bakelite with a towel and use 2 tablespoons, one on each side of the knob, as levers. Then simply gently press the handles down towards the case.

Gabriel
Old 17th Nov 2020, 9:41 am   #16
Sinewave
Octode

Can't someone from work take it home for you?
Old 17th Nov 2020, 10:57 am   #17
Ian - G4JQT
Octode

If you can get the grub screws out, then drip some penetrating oil in the hole and wait a few days, then use the techniques suggested.

Where there is room, I've stuck a hot soldering iron on the shaft somewhere. That can loosen rust etc. Maybe just poke it on the grub screw or in the hole...?

They are indeed lovely sets - I think they sound very good.

Sometimes the switches stick or get noisy/intermittent, so look out for that and if necessary choose some appropriate deoxidising/lubricant spray.

The TV sound (Band I) marked on the SW dial probably only worked if you lived very close to Alexandra Palace as I think it relies of the second harmonic of the local oscillator.

Ian
Old 17th Nov 2020, 7:01 pm   #18
Burnt wire
Tetrode

Very under valued set, lovely design and sounds great.
See it here...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I_aH4zZjdvQ
Old 18th Nov 2020, 2:47 pm   #19
beery
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabe001 View Post
Hi Andy, the 2 spoons trick from this forum worked well for me in the past to remove stuck knobs. I have used it just last week to get the knobs of a KB MR10, which is renowned for breaking knobs.

Protect the bakelite with a towel and use 2 tablespoons, one on each side of the knob, as levers. Then simply gently press the handles down towards the case.

Gabriel
Hi all,
I can report that the two spoons trick advocated by Gabriel has succeeded in levering off the tone control knob.
Thanks Gabriel

Cheers
Andy
Old 18th Nov 2020, 3:37 pm   #20
Gabe001
Octode

Thanks, glad I could help, but I can't take credit for it. I found this tip on the forum - cannot remember who by.

Gabriel
Closed Thread