UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 9th Nov 2020, 1:09 pm   #1
Martin Bush
Octode

Default 8 Track players - worth owning?

Hi all

I like to have access to various formats and have vinyl, cassette, CD, MD etc and wondered whether owning an 8-track player would be fun or a source of disappointment.

I've seen a few on ebay for reasonable prices but I have no desire to do much in the way or repair (except maybe a bit of servicing) and so I wondered what you guys thought.

I envisage simply playing a few pre-recorded cartridges every now and then for a bit of variety. I can't see myself recording onto them so I don't think I need a recorder.

Over to you

Martin
Old 9th Nov 2020, 2:03 pm   #2
Cobaltblue

Default Re: 8 Track players - worth owning?

I quite like 8 track but just like other tape based stuff you will probably need to do a bit of belt replacement, cleaning and electronic repairs.

The other issue is that you will need to do some work on most of the tapes.

See this there are others :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FYCrkiwhVPc

Cheers

Mike T
Old 9th Nov 2020, 3:21 pm   #3
Andrew2
Nonode

We sold quite a number of 8-track music centres in the 70's and as an engineer I really wasn't very keen on them! We had lots of u/g calls for running slow and 'wow'. The problem was that the pinch roller was part of the tape cartridge rather than a part of the deck mechanism. This meant that the cartridge had to be clamped very firmly in position to ensure the correct pressure onto the capstan. Sometimes a wiggle of the tape by the customer would effect a quick cure, but often the annoyance of having to do this would result in rough handling and 'thwacks' which didn't do the gubbins any good. Not a good part of the design IMO.
Also the capstan was prone to wear, which also caused poor drive and wow.
Still, if you can find a worker and you like fiddling about with stuff, why not?
Old 9th Nov 2020, 3:39 pm   #4
Martin Bush
Octode

Thanks chaps.

I am OK with servicing type stuff so could change belts, clean up and fix a cartridge (providing I had the right bits) but am less able with the electronic side although I am fine with replacing parts (it's the diagnosis I tend to shy away from).

What got me thinking was listening to Genesis' Foxtrot on CD and then spotting a cartridge of it on ebay. It seemed like a reasonably cheap way to enjoy some good music on an old format without getting too hipster about it

What sort of brands are likely to be good ones to look out for? I've noticed that there's a fair few machines branded Harry Moss and some others I'd normally consider lesser makes if it was on other stereo gear. That said I'd be looking in the £30 type range.
Old 9th Nov 2020, 3:39 pm   #5
Superscope
Octode

I like the 8 Track myself.
It's a bit of Fun for sure, and they can sound surprisingly good
with the right Media and a Quality Player.

As Cobaltblue has alluded too, you will almost certainly have to
work on the Cartridges.
The Tape Pads will undoubtedly need replacing, and the Tape
Transport will probably need cleaning meaning the Cartridge
will need opening.

Opening a Cartridge without damaging the Shell or Label will
depend on what type of Shell is used.

If you just want to play some prerecorded Tapes, you might be
disappointed.

Although good Quality Recordings were made, most prerecorded
Tapes were dire in quality, which is a shame because Home recording
on good quality Cartridges and High end Recorders like an Akai for
example, can be extremely good.

They are not going to match the quality of a good Cassette Deck.
Not because the 8 Track system was bad, but simply because it didn't
have the decades of development the Cassette had.

If you want to play with the 8 Track, get a decent Player/Recorder.
I use an Akai CR 81D which is one of the better Machines.
There are better Machines, but a lot of cheap rubbish as well.

On a plus side, Cartridges are generally cheap, because nobody really
wants them.
The US is the best place to find 8 Track stuff, but expensive to
import into the Uk.

Ian
Old 9th Nov 2020, 4:14 pm   #6
Martin Bush
Octode

Thanks Ian - useful advice. All of the above is actually.

I suppose it will be a longer process for me if I seek a quality machine rather than go for any old one listed on ebay as "working" (which can mean anything I expect). But better that than the disappointment of a no-name duffer.

I did have a go many years ago with radio jingle carts which I now find are broadly the same thing, albeit tweaked slightly for studio use.
Old 9th Nov 2020, 4:17 pm   #7
Refugee
Dekatron

Recorders are pretty rare in the UK.
Car players are much easier to find as are prerecorded tapes.
Blank tapes are very rare indeed.
I spotted one on a rummaging table at the flea market last year with a tape.
I did not buy it though.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0417.jpg
Views:	231
Size:	143.7 KB
ID:	219995  
Old 9th Nov 2020, 5:16 pm   #8
Martin Bush
Octode

Yes, there's stacks of in car ones which I expect could be repurposed for home use although I wonder if they will also have had a hard life due to variable in-car temperatures and moisture etc.

There is a nice looking Akai I have spotted but not at the price that's being asked for it. As I usually do, I will bide my time
Old 9th Nov 2020, 5:49 pm   #9
Restoration73
Nonode

All in-car and a few mains decks have dc motors and can be problematic. However
Akai CR80 recorder with speaker output (or CR80D deck only version) with AC motor are probably the best in class.
Old 9th Nov 2020, 6:02 pm   #10
Martin Bush
Octode

I will keep my eyes open in the coming weeks and months.

As formats go I think streaming - the most convenient and accessible - is my least favourite. I seem to be seeking out all possible avenues to listen to music on anything but that
Old 9th Nov 2020, 6:06 pm   #11
theredhouseinn
Hexode

I can confirm superscope's comment on the Akai. I have just repaired one for a friend. The quality did surprise me. In 60 years I have never been asked to fix an 8 track, so this was a first. So I cannot comment on any other makes. On this one all the electrolytics were faulty to some degree, the belt had dissolved into black gunge, the tape path was very dirty and took some time to clean. The tapes were another problem. The pressure pads were a sponge like material which had dissolved to dust. These can be obtained from a guy in the USA who makes direct replacements. The pinch rollers took some cleaning.
Some cases come apart quite easily. An RCA tape had a rivet through the centre so I could not get it apart. Quite an education this one.
John.
Old 9th Nov 2020, 6:37 pm   #12
Radio Wrangler

Akai also built 8 track machines into some open reel recorders like the X-1800SD. I think there was even one with open reel, cassette and 8-track in one box. Maybe they were too expensive? They were certainly aiming for something for the man who has everything, but I think they hit 'dog's breakfast' I think some can record on 8-tack

Keep your eyes open, you might find one of these for a silly price if you're lucky. I don't think they're much sought after. It's unlikely the 8 track got used much

David
Old 9th Nov 2020, 6:45 pm   #13
andrewferguson
Hexode

YouTuber "Techmoan" did a video on 8-track several years ago where he pointed out some of the issues that come with the format. From memory (it's been a few years since I watched the video):
  • Low availability of contemporary pop acts from the 80s onwards (and high prices for what is available)
  • Poor quality of the glue / labelling on many cartridges leading to a "bubbling" effect which makes them less presentable as collectables

I suppose it depends on what you want out of the format. I have quite a few 8 track tapes, and a player (that needs servicing), and the above two issues don't affect me since I like the format for its quirks and novelties, rather than as a collectable.
Old 9th Nov 2020, 7:16 pm   #14
bluepilot
Heptode

What put me off 8-track is the automatic switch over from one set of tracks to the next every time the tape goes round. Sometimes albums got rearranged to try to align the gaps between songs with the switch, which could only ever have limited success. Otherwise there are "hiccups" in music when the switch occurs. I found both annoying. If you just want the music you are better off getting it in another format.

For me 8-track would only be interesting for listening to Q8 material where the other four-channel formats have their own problems.

The golden age is always yesterday - Asa Briggs
Old 9th Nov 2020, 7:18 pm   #15
electronicskip
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superscope View Post
I like the 8 Track myself.
It's a bit of Fun for sure, and they can sound surprisingly good
with the right Media and a Quality Player.

As Cobaltblue has alluded too, you will almost certainly have to
work on the Cartridges.
The Tape Pads will undoubtedly need replacing, and the Tape
Transport will probably need cleaning meaning the Cartridge
will need opening.

Opening a Cartridge without damaging the Shell or Label will
depend on what type of Shell is used.

If you just want to play some prerecorded Tapes, you might be
disappointed.

Although good Quality Recordings were made, most prerecorded
Tapes were dire in quality, which is a shame because Home recording
on good quality Cartridges and High end Recorders like an Akai for
example, can be extremely good.

They are not going to match the quality of a good Cassette Deck.
Not because the 8 Track system was bad, but simply because it didn't
have the decades of development the Cassette had.

If you want to play with the 8 Track, get a decent Player/Recorder.
I use an Akai CR 81D which is one of the better Machines.
There are better Machines, but a lot of cheap rubbish as well.

On a plus side, Cartridges are generally cheap, because nobody really
wants them.
The US is the best place to find 8 Track stuff, but expensive to
import into the Uk.

Ian
I also have an AKAI 8track recorder unit which was recently given to me , and after a bit of a fettle the quality is actually pretty good.
Well worth a the time spent.
Old 9th Nov 2020, 7:30 pm   #16
greg_simons
Octode

Always thought they were pretty horrid, serviced loads back in the day, the car ones were very cheaply made but all suffered from huge amounts of tape oxide shed from the tape, which i believe was coated with a lubricant so it would slide over the rollers etc, the capstan shafts would accumulate a good layer causing wow and incorrect playback speed, could sound ok but not a brilliant format.
Greg.
Old 9th Nov 2020, 9:16 pm   #17
ben
Dekatron

I have a love hate relationship with them. There are undeniable problems with the format such as:
- Loop tape means no rewind, you have to wait for the whole thing to come round again to repeat a specific point on the tape.
- Aforementioned break in the programme after 12 mins or so for track changeover.
- The tapes always seem to look tatty, the paper glued on the the plastic (presumably expand and contract at different rates) plus the fact you have to grip it means oils from the skin get pressed onto the label
- The back lubricated tape seems to mean increased head/tape path cleaning required. if not, you get wow and the sensors don't respond to the foil.
- The aforementioned pressure pads. I usually keep the plastic sheet part, and glue that onto some old kitchen sponge cut to strips. It's quite a fiddly job and time consuming if you have lots of carts.
- The programme material. If your tastes aren't mainstream 70s pop and easy listening, you're pretty much out of luck!
- Most players have no eject button (I only ever had one that did, using a kicker gear off the capstan flywheel)), meaning you need to grasp the deck with one hand and yank the tape out with the other - rather inelegant to me. Leaving the tape in with power off will result in damage to the pinch roller.
- The moving head is not in the best interests of consistent tape head alignment.

That said, the plus points to me are.
- Good dynamic range, especially bass.
- Handy for background playback (though I suppose long playing open reel or auto reverse cassette are too)
- The most simple to use tape format ever.
- Fun!

I definitely suggest getting a recorder. That way you can re-use all those tapes you don't like by taping over them. Believe me, you will end up with a stack of crap you won't otherwise know what to do with!

Years ago in the early 90s on a trip to the USA, I picked up dozens of carts from a record shop that had them at 0.25 cents each. They must have had thousands sitting gathering dust below the racks of vinyl. I got classics like Led Zeppelin and Sly Stone releases which are like gold dust over here.

On holiday in July I picked up a player branded Elizabethan 8/LZ1 for only 3 euros. Presumably made it to Spain with some ex -pat. Lady in the junk shop didn't know what it was!
Old 10th Nov 2020, 12:37 am   #18
Martin Bush
Octode

This is one of my favourite threads! Plenty of opinions on either side, which makes the subject even more interesting to me.

I may post an an on here at some point and will be keeping my eyes open for a decent deal on ebay etc too.
Old 10th Nov 2020, 12:48 am   #19
emeritus
Dekatron

I remrmber seeing a large (full page?) Philips ad in a newspaper in the early 1970's comparing compact cassettes with 8 track. It said that the lives of 8 track and cassette were 500 hours and 1500 hours respectively. It must have been before the days of auto-reverse cassette decks as the only advantage 8 track was admitted to have had over cassette was its continuous play ability.
Old 10th Nov 2020, 2:43 am   #20
ben
Dekatron

Interesting comparison. I had forgotten something, I have an adaptor which looks like the business end of an 8 track tape, but the bit sticking out has a cassette well. So you could play cassettes in an 8 track deck!

Useful I imagine in cars where swapping out the deck would mean disassembling the dashboard. Just as today we can use those mp3 transmitter things that plugin to the 12v cigarette lighter socket to play through car radios that have no USB input.

I also once had an in-car Binatone unit that had both 8 track and cassette slots.
Closed Thread