UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Other Discussions > Homebrew Equipment

Notices

Homebrew Equipment A place to show, design and discuss the weird and wonderful electronic creations from the hands of individual members.

Closed Thread

Old 30th Sep 2020, 9:20 pm   #1
clockman
Pentode

Exclamation Grundig vintage radio Type 87a

Hi i acquired this radio on ebay at a very low price but on inspection it looked not worth repairing and every thing was in German. The radio case is a 1960s really nice looking Avocado green a popular colour then with a cream front the Grundig logo and clear dial all in good condition so when i see on ebay sellers offering none working vintage radio models for a theatre prop or a home showpiece some in poor condition and asking a high price. i have striped the chassis of all parts to use as spares painted the chassis fitted new knobs and LED dial lights these are worked by the new control switches from a 9 volt battery pack inside the set. My reason for this post is if i put it on ebay as a home showpiece radio that can be displayed in any room in the house and showing its a empty radio will i be breaking the rules of the vintage radio fraternity and be upsetting some people ?
Old 30th Sep 2020, 10:10 pm   #2
Michael.N.
Pentode

Default Re: Grundig vintage radio Type 87a

Yes you will upset some people. You paid the money, it's your radio and you are free to do as you please with it. Don't forget countless thousands of old radios have been sent to land fill over the years. I doubt it's a highly sought after model and not rare. I quite like it though.
Old 1st Oct 2020, 10:13 am   #3
bikerhifinut
Octode

Seeing as you have already stripped out the guts and assuming it's now impractical to reconstruct, how about getting from the usual auction sources a low powered amplifier module and a bluetooth module and you have a nice functional "radio" that will play music from a personal player or phone including internet radio. Heck theres chips that you can get with simple FM radios on board that could be incorporated.
Andy.
Old 1st Oct 2020, 3:14 pm   #4
clockman
Pentode

Question Re: Grundig vintage radio Type 87a

I had thought of doing that with a nice looking Ultra Troubadour (U696) that needs a lot of parts replacing its case and condition very good but i do not see the practical reason to do this as it would use a small low quality speaker and the work and cost does not seem worth it . I am fully struggling with the ones i am repairing and replacement of original other parts i.e. working vintage speakers and valves that are so difficult to obtain so i think its best i work on the ones needing being made to sound again like they used to. TAB
Old 14th Oct 2020, 3:31 pm   #5
clockman
Pentode

RE Grundig Radio 87a
I now have an update on my progress I have fitted a 12volt small amplifier from ebay £8 a good quality speaker the amp is powered by a 12v 1 amp psu £6.50 have fitted a 12v led indicator lamp in the dial wired on/off via front switch. Made a new back to access amp controls i found a year1995 walkman in the loft in perfect condition has tape and radio fm&am have connected via a phono lead the sound is really good the Avocado green Grundig 87a is now a good looking working radio A side note i have a Glass Dial 17x15 mm and a back 17 inch x 9 .5 in perfect condition for a PYE P445U going spare. TAB
Closed Thread