UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 16th Nov 2020, 2:00 pm   #1
CURRY POWDER
Triode

Default Magnetophon M23

Hello all,
I recently purchased a Telefunken Magnetophon M23. I bought as “for parts not working” I knew it was minus its valves but little else, a bit of a risk? However, it arrived all 30kg of it! very well packed and in one piece. While waiting for a set of valves- 7 x ECC81 (I’m not aware of any other machine that has such an unvarying array of valves?) I attended to the mechanics, switch contacts and checking capacitors, all capacitors were good. The main problem was that every trimmer pot and capacitor had been moved and also every adjustment screw in the head block had been “tweaked” Unless damage has occurred or the heads replaced, why do people feel they have to “adjust” the factory head alignment? I’ve got the head alignment back okay but could really do with a service manual to set the bias correctly and the three pots associated with the level meter. There doesn’t seem to be a manual available from searching the usual locations, the M23 was only made 1959-60 and probably in very small numbers. Any ideas where I might acquire a copy?
Old 16th Nov 2020, 2:21 pm   #2
DMcMahon
Dekatron

Default Re: Magnetophon M23

Yes seven ECC81's does sound strange ?

The radiomuseum.org site indicates it has 8 plus 3 other valves.

David
Old 16th Nov 2020, 3:44 pm   #3
CURRY POWDER
Triode

The M23 was line level output, the later M24 had a built in power stage, with additional 1 x EC92 and 2 x EL95. But I think a few transitional M23 machines with built in amp were also sold?
Old 16th Nov 2020, 6:38 pm   #4
DMcMahon
Dekatron

That now makes sense, the radiomuseum.org M23 link did say "mit Endstufe" (with power amplifier).
Closed Thread