UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Other Discussions > Homebrew Equipment

Notices

Homebrew Equipment A place to show, design and discuss the weird and wonderful electronic creations from the hands of individual members.

Closed Thread

Old 3rd Nov 2020, 8:37 am   #21
Scotorvm
Pentode

Default Re: Re-purposed Bush AC11 - now retro lamp with sound

Thanks for all the comments guy's, both good and not so.....

I thought it would be a controversial item.

Have sold this (last night) for a nice profit, also a request for another. Advice has been taken on board for improvement.

Next one will be more profitable as have been buying parts in bulk.

Bought a few things from Amazon eg. £10 for one part, next day or £16 from China for 4.. You always pay more if you need it next day.

Achieved slightly more than the highest priced AC11 set on ebay as of today.

Just out of curiosity, how many do it for the £££'s or just to restore and treasure?
Old 3rd Nov 2020, 10:17 am   #22
paulsherwin

There's certainly a market for that kind of thing and I for one don't begrudge you the opportunity to make a few quid. You were never going to get many admiring comments on this forum though - the membership demographic is wrong, and most people here are much keener on restoring and repairing things rather than 'upcycling' them.

There are a few members here who restore old tech as a business, but most of us do it because we find it satisfying and no money is made.
Old 3rd Nov 2020, 10:47 am   #23
ThePillenwerfer
Octode

It's not to my taste but it seems like a good use of a lump of scrap given current fashions.

I fix old radios &c for the fun of it but do keep the financial side in mind; I'm not going to pay a fortune to have a transformer re-wound for instance.

Most radios I've had I've sold for around the amount they've cost me, only very rarely have I made a profit that would be worth having. I've been satisfied though as I made enough money and, more importantly, space for the next one. I've had my fun and somebody who wants a fixed-up set has got one. Rather than a business I regard it as a self-funding hobby.
Old 3rd Nov 2020, 11:14 am   #24
Uncle Bulgaria
Nonode

Dipping a toe into the Sea of Memes, this would be a good time to post the "Trololol" man.
Old 3rd Nov 2020, 1:40 pm   #25
Cobaltblue

I think views have been made clear so it's time to wrap this one up

Cheers

Mike T
Closed Thread