UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 16th Jan 2022, 4:56 pm   #1
Dick Glennon
Hexode

Default Pilot 90A radiogram volume control.

Hi again, I have here what I think is a Pilot 90A radiogram, I can only see this reference on the dial glass. It is a MW/LW/FM set. I have replaced all the Hunts capacitors. The electrolytics are reading ok. When I switch on I am getting a lot of vibration in the speaker and a rustling noise as I turn the volume control up. I do not have an outside aerial socket and I was wondering if I could in any way connect to the ferrite aerial. My valve line up is ECH81,EF89,EL84,EF89,EL84,EZ81,EABC80 and magic eye. I cannot find a circuit diagram either. Any help would be very much appreciated. Dick
Old 17th Jan 2022, 10:50 am   #2
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

Default Re: Pilot 90A radiogram volume control.

Did it work even to a limited degree before you replaced all the Hunts capacitors? John.
Old 17th Jan 2022, 8:36 pm   #3
Dick Glennon
Hexode

Hi again, I did not plug it in till all the caps were replaced. Idrenched the volume control with servisol and it is a good bit quieter as I turn up the volume.The wires to the ferrite ariel are severed but I cannot see a place for an outside ariel to plug into. As I turn up the volume I am getting places that are very clear without turbulence. Regards,Dick
Old 18th Jan 2022, 12:59 am   #4
Silicon
Nonode

The electrolytics may be reading OK but they may still be faulty enough to cause instability.

Could you connect a new capacitor in parallel with the old ones?

I would start with the electrolytic on the circuit nearest the anode of the EABC80.
Old 18th Jan 2022, 11:33 am   #5
Herald1360
Dekatron

With severed wires to the ferrite aerial you'll have problems even with an external aerial since the coils on the ferrite rod are part of the RF tuned circuits for the receiver.

It should be fairly easy to identify which connections on the ferrite aerial go where, any circuit for a valve set with similar wavebands coverage will be helpful with this.

Some decent pictures of the problem area could help with remote diagnosis or at least identifying which aerial connections are what.
.........O..Chris....O
Old 18th Jan 2022, 12:13 pm   #6
Silicon
Nonode

FM will probably use an external aerial.

Does it work on FM?
Can you get the 'gramophone' input to work?
Closed Thread