UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 15th Jan 2022, 2:26 pm   #1
Geoff Sherratt
Tetrode

Default Modern speakers suitable for Leak stereo 20

Recommendations gratefully received for any advice on speaker choice for use with Leak Stereo 20.
Old 15th Jan 2022, 2:43 pm   #2
PYE 405
Pentode

Default Re: Modern speakers suitable for Leak stereo 20

That is a very good question !

I guess any loudspeaker would work, but of course in reality you really want something that offers a reasonably even impedance with frequency response. Not to mention good sensitivity too. Something with at least 90db at 1 watt. In the late 90's, I had a Stereo 20 and used it with Mission 752 speakers. These were a good match at 8 ohms with 90db, but of course probably not classed as modern now. They sounded excellent with plenty of volume I remember.
I guess a good starting point would be to decide upon a budget and then look at the data of possible choices to see if they come close to the ideal. It is of course worth keeping an open mind to the possibility of buying a used pair of suitable speakers too.
Old 15th Jan 2022, 2:58 pm   #3
Geoff Sherratt
Tetrode

Quote:
Originally Posted by PYE 405 View Post
That is a very good question !
possibility of buying a used pair of suitable speakers too.
I agree entirely... unfortunately this is not a view shard by my wife!
I have two pairs of old speakers both considered aesthetically unacceptable in the lounge.lol
Old 15th Jan 2022, 3:03 pm   #4
PYE 405
Pentode

Ah !!

Another important requirement has just been added..... WAF.
(Wife Approval Factor).

You now have a difficult (but not impossible) job on your hands sir !
Old 15th Jan 2022, 3:04 pm   #5
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

A high sensisitivty of around 91dB is almost essential for the Leak Stereo 20. Tannoy floorstanding reflex speakers of 1980-95 would be ideal.
Old 15th Jan 2022, 5:02 pm   #6
Radio Wrangler

As said, just remember that it's 20W total from both channels, and quite significantly lower power than the sort of things most modern speakers are designed around. So you need something reasonably efficient. That rules out the crazy inefficient ones.

David
Old 15th Jan 2022, 5:10 pm   #7
Herald1360
Dekatron

Some nice horn loaded jobs? Plenty of noise available then
.........O..Chris....O
Old 15th Jan 2022, 5:57 pm   #8
bikerhifinut
Octode

I'm going to chuck a curved ball in.
based entirely on my own empirical experience.
I don't swap in a conventional pair of speakers when I want to listen to my Stereo20, I simply plug it into the Quad ESL989 in my medium sized listening room and the amp doesn't bat an eyelid. Many were used with the original Quad ESL57 with no issues. Valve amps of a sound design can cope with these difficult loads.
My other speakers are a smallish set of standmount Kudos cardea1 which I think are around 86dB/W, and they seem plenty loud enough to me.
I've used , in the past a pair of Wharfedale Diamond9 budget jobs and they were fine, and previously My old Monitor Audio Monitor3 gold floorstanders and a pair of Usher S520 small stansdmounts.
All worked just fine and enough volume to annoy the distaff side.
I think any decent speaker with a reasonably steady impedance characteristic will be just fine. There's a lot of hot air wafted around this sort of thing, fanned by certain magazine contributors.
If you're going to be buying new, or used from a dealer , then take the amp along and ask for a demonstration. If the dealer fobs you off or otherwise strings a line then walk away and take your business with you.
Buying online and used comes with its own caveats.
A good dealer should also let you take a demonstration pair home to try, it would be reasonable to expect to pay a refundable deposit especially if the shop doesnt know you.

Best Regards.

Andy
Old 15th Jan 2022, 6:16 pm   #9
PYE 405
Pentode

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikerhifinut View Post
I think any decent speaker with a reasonably steady impedance characteristic will be just fine.
I agree completely, 4 8 or 16 ohms, so pretty much all types are catered for by the amplifier adjustment.
I guess the choice ultimately comes down to what you like the sound of, plus the WAF, so audio and domestic harmony may be achieved.

Any HIFI dealer worth his salt should only be too happy to cater for a demonstration with the amplifier and a sensible selection of speakers.
Old 15th Jan 2022, 6:19 pm   #10
mikes08
Pentode

Do you have a rough budget in mind....New or vintage...
Old 15th Jan 2022, 7:03 pm   #11
GrimJosef
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikerhifinut View Post
... Valve amps of a sound design can cope with these difficult loads ...
I can confirm that. Leak used plenty of negative feedback, so the output impedance is nice and low.

Quote:
... I think any decent speaker with a reasonably steady impedance characteristic will be just fine ...
Again that's been my experience. If I don't want to listen loud then my Rogers JR149s are fine and they're just 83dB/W. Speakers around 88-89dB/W are OK for rock and roll. You can go north of 90dB/W for very loud indeed but then you run the risk of starting to hear any hum, to which Stereo 20's can be a bit prone.

The general advice for a hifi system is to start with the speakers - find a pair which work well in your room and whose sound you like. Then find an amp which will drive them as loud as you like.

Cheers,

GJ
Old 15th Jan 2022, 8:48 pm   #12
Glowing Bits!
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio Wrangler View Post
As said, just remember that it's 20W total from both channels, and quite significantly lower power than the sort of things most modern speakers are designed around. So you need something reasonably efficient. That rules out the crazy inefficient ones.

David
That rules out Goodmans Dimension 8's then, them damn things need a very powerful amp to get anything happening.
Old 16th Jan 2022, 12:05 am   #13
Ted Kendall
Dekatron

The overriding consideration here appears to be the WAF - any clues as to what size or type of finish is likely to be acceptable?
Old 16th Jan 2022, 12:51 am   #14
Geoff Sherratt
Tetrode

Lol...To achieve 100% WAF requires the speakers to be as small as practicable with no visible wires. The cloth should preferably be available in a choice of colours. Cabinets should be in Beech or Maple. So...no much to ask!!
Old 16th Jan 2022, 12:57 am   #15
joebog1
Banned

Talking Re: Modern speakers suitable for Leak stereo 20

Offer to drape some cloth over the SIDES, NOT the front of the boxes. Paisley was very "in" during the Leak period . Florals were nice too !!. Nice potplants work too. Just make sure they dont leak ( pun intended ).

Play the game, She will come around.

Joe
Old 16th Jan 2022, 10:21 am   #16
mikes08
Pentode

Quad ELS's out then
I was going to suggest if looking vintage Ditton 33's or Kef Coda's of if very deep pockets LS3/5a's - depends on how much bass you want.
I have an elderly pair of Spendor BC1's which i have happily driven with a smaller amp - Rogers Ravensbrook previously.
Old 16th Jan 2022, 10:33 am   #17
PYE 405
Pentode

If it were me, and I could afford it, I would love to try the Rogers LS3/5A.
Now personally, I don't like high volume neither do I crave oodles of bass, so it would be very interesting to hear such a set up. I think it could be rather good... But you would never be able to rattle the window's with 10 watts and 82db sensitivity !

In this instance, quality over quantity would be the order of the day.
Oh, and they look nice and are not too big.
The good lady may approve, until she see's the price lol.
Old 16th Jan 2022, 10:34 am   #18
Radio Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff Sherratt View Post
Lol...To achieve 100% WAF requires the speakers to be as small as practicable with no visible wires. The cloth should preferably be available in a choice of colours. Cabinets should be in Beech or Maple. So...no much to ask!!
WAF negotiations are highly non-linear and exhibit hysteresis. So what you can get away with is strongly influenced by which direction you approach from.

Pick something decidedly more than you think you'd get away with, with the intent of compromising back to something still decent that wouldn't have been OK if suggested directly

David