UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 14th Jan 2022, 12:14 pm   #1
bill knox
Hexode

Default Garrard RC121 MK2

Has anybody got a jockey wheel for the above record deck, the record player that I am renovating has one that I cannot keep the speed steady I am quite convinced that it is not the motor.

If anyone has any suggestions on this it will be appreciated. ​

Any expenses will be paid

Regards

Bill
Old 14th Jan 2022, 2:45 pm   #2
Chris R
Pentode

Default Re: Garrard RC121 MK2

Hello Bill

The rubber of the idler wheels on these decks hardens over time and doesn't grip properly.
One solution is to dress the outer edge with a fine abrasive and clean off with spirit afterwards. A (slightly) stronger tensioning spring sometimes helps - don't overdo it.
Another solution I sometimes use is to grit blast the capstan to produce a matt finish. This can also help with the grip.

BSR idlers respond better, but are not compatible with Garrard's.

Chris R
Old 14th Jan 2022, 3:34 pm   #3
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

These are large diameter idlers so skimming off 2 or 3mm will make no difference to the speed and reveal the "good" surface under.
Old 14th Jan 2022, 4:07 pm   #4
bill knox
Hexode

Hi Chris

How exactly do you dress the rim of the idler with abrasive and what do you you for the abrasive

Hope you had a quite Christmas and the same for the new year

Bill
Old 14th Jan 2022, 4:42 pm   #5
Chris R
Pentode

Bill

Use some medium sandpaper / wet or dry paper and rotate the idler as you rub away the hardened surface. Try not to create any flat spots.
It can be done by using an electric drill or lathe, but it is easy to remove too much that way.
I believe it is possible to get them rebuilt - at a price! Used ones also appear on eBay regularly, but it is difficult to judge their condition before purchasing.

Christmas was quiet until the grandchildren arrived! Hoping to get some restraints for their next visit.

Regards,

Chris
Closed Thread