UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 9th Jan 2022, 8:34 pm   #1
EF80TVVALVE
Octode

Default Defiant radio

Hi all,

As some of you may have seen I posted a wanted request in hopes to find a coil for this Defiant radio. I thought I'd post a thread in this section to help identify the chassis. Reading online it seems that Defiant used Plessey chassis in a lot of their sets so I wonder if any member can identify the chassis and relevant service information.

I'm not too sure if the coil can be replaced with one from a different set or whether I need to find an identical coil. It's in very poor condition and has obviously been crushed by something. It would be a shame to write the set off as it has a very nice bakelite cabinet.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20220108_200541.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	73.4 KB
ID:	249402  
Old 10th Jan 2022, 2:25 pm   #2
kestrelmusic
Hexode

Default Re: Defiant radio

What is the valve line-up? From above they look like Mazda octals - if they are it woudl narrow it down a good bit.
Old 12th Jan 2022, 1:50 pm   #3
mister valve
Hexode

Definitely I would say they are all "Mazda Octal's", looking at the picture. I would think the valve line-up would be :- TH41, VP41, HL41DD (or pos. HL42DD), PEN45, UU6. They were more or less the standard range in a four valve plus rectifier, A.C. only mains set.
Old 12th Jan 2022, 2:15 pm   #4
ms660
Dekatron

The chassis is the same as the Defiant MSH 546.

Lawrence.
Old 13th Jan 2022, 11:06 pm   #5
EF80TVVALVE
Octode

Hi all,

Apologies for somewhat neglecting this thread for the last few days. Lawrence kindly sent me a PM and helped to confirm that the radio is indeed an MSH546. I haven't had chance to have a closer look at the chassis and coil yet but hopefully I will have some time tomorrow to investigate if the coil can be saved or if it will need to be replaced.

Cheers
Bren
Closed Thread