UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 8th Jan 2022, 8:07 pm   #1
stevehertz
Dekatron

Default What do you listen to on AM?

With the ever decreasing number of stations broadcasting on AM, choice is quite limited - well it is for me anyway.

I listen to BBC R4 on LW, and that's about it on LW.

On MW I listen BBC R5 Live, Gold Radio (pop classics), BBC Radio Derby, and Talksport.

So not a lot of choice, but it could be worse of course.

What stations do you listen to on AM?
Old 8th Jan 2022, 8:15 pm   #2
paulsherwin

Default Re: What do you listen to on AM?

Nothing on a regular basis, apart from the pantry transmitter of course.
Old 8th Jan 2022, 8:30 pm   #3
Bazz4CQJ
Dekatron

If we're talking MW/LW - nothing. Everything by internet radio now, then via pantry Tx to VHF FM

B
Old 8th Jan 2022, 8:44 pm   #4
Techman
Dekatron

Basically nothing, it's a complete waste of time. Sometimes I listen to R4 on LW and Absolute Radio on medium wave, mainly when demonstrating an AM radio to somebody.

I only listen to stations on VHF/FM, 88-108. I sometimes listen to R5 live at night/early hours VHF only, I particularly like radio presenter Dotun Adebayo when he's doing his 'non-sport' programs and phone in music discussions etc. Sometimes sends me off to sleep in the end...and that's not a criticism!
Old 8th Jan 2022, 8:48 pm   #5
Radio tirana
Pentode

Sadly very little on AM for me these days. I do listen to Radio 4 on long wave but usually give in when the background noise gets to much. As I have zero interest in football its a shame that R5 live is the strongest MW signal where I live. Absolute radio is plagued by adverts. I do enjoy having a trawl of the SW bands which sometimes still come up with interesting content. This is why my Minimods are worth their weight in gold. I have also fitted Bluetooth modules to most of my AM only sets so that I can use BBC sounds via my phone.

Kind regards RT
Old 8th Jan 2022, 8:51 pm   #6
Aub
Nonode

Mostly Radio 5 on MW and sometimes Radio 4 on LW. Very occasionally, Caroline on MW.

Aub
Old 8th Jan 2022, 8:54 pm   #7
telstar
Octode

For me, its Radio Caroline on 648 Khz Well, I did attend an event at Felixstowe in 2017 that announced that it would be legalized.
I wouldn't mind if I was able to hear the Flashback shows as well, on another A.M channel
Old 8th Jan 2022, 8:56 pm   #8
newlite4
Octode

On MW I listen to 5Live and sometimes BBC Radio Wales, occasionally I listen to R4 on LW and on Short Wave I listen to Radio Romania International or Voice of Turkey late at night.
Neil
Old 8th Jan 2022, 9:50 pm   #9
Biggles1998
Triode

Radio Caroline - 648 they have a new xmter and looking for signal reports.
Old 8th Jan 2022, 10:02 pm   #10
murphyv310
Dekatron

Hi.
BBC Radio Scotland on a fairly regular basis and Radio Caroline when conditions allow. Used to listen the Spirit Radio on 549Khz regularly before it was pulled.
Old 8th Jan 2022, 10:04 pm   #11
emeritus
Dekatron

About the only MW stations I listen to these days are couple of Spanish stations that can usually be heard loud clear on my bedside portable tranny late at night. I sometimes tune in to practice the Spanish I learned at evening class a couple of decades ago.

I used to be able to get the Spanish exterior service at any time of the day on short wave on my Sony portable until transmissions ceased around ten years ago.
Old 8th Jan 2022, 10:12 pm   #12
mister valve
Hexode

I listen to Radio 4 on 198kHz LW and RTE Radio 1 on 252kHz also on LW.
MW is a bit limited here in Blackpool, (atleast where I live), but I can get Radio 5 Live and one or two local radio stations and a few commercial stations. How I wish we could go back to the mid 20th century, when the medium wave band was crammed with stations especially at night. Nowadays the Long Medium and the LF end of the Shortwave broadcast bands are crammed with buzzing hissing and other erroneous noises from switch mode PSU's and other electrical noise generating devices.
Old 8th Jan 2022, 10:13 pm   #13
roadster541
Pentode

I regularly listen to BBC R4 on 756kHz MW.
Rod
M0LXY
Old 8th Jan 2022, 10:17 pm   #14
cathoderay57
Nonode

Often Euro pirates on 48m and 52m bands. Reception currently is dreadful but sometimes there are flashback recordings of the pirate stations in their heyday that are a joy when listening conditions permit. The Dutch ones are quite frequent, although I haven't heard Johnny Tobacco for a while. He sometimes signs off with Vera Lynn "We'll Meet Again". Another odd one is The Bogus Man Experience with some unusual progressive music. Jerry
Old 8th Jan 2022, 10:18 pm   #15
roadster541
Pentode

I regularly listen to BBC R4 on 756kHz MW.
Rod
M0LXY
Old 8th Jan 2022, 10:35 pm   #16
electrogram
Heptode

R4 and RTE 1 on LW, and non sport programs on R5 on MW
Old 8th Jan 2022, 10:52 pm   #17
Hartley118
Nonode

Gold classic pops on 1548 kHz. It’s music of my generation and a bit challenging to receive here in Cambridge requiring careful orientation of the loop aerial to minimise local interference. I enjoy a technical challenge: it adds to the enjoyment of the station, just like the old days of Radio Luxembourg.

Martin
Old 8th Jan 2022, 11:15 pm   #18
kalee20
Dekatron

BBC R4 on LW. I used to listen to Radio Devon on 801kHz till they switched off MW last August.

Manx Radio on 1368kHz MW occasionally (Devon is outside the official coverage area, but a decent radio picks it up).

Currently? Classic AM on 783kHz - the frequency my pantry transmitter is set at.
Old 8th Jan 2022, 11:18 pm   #19
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

I don't listen to the radio anymore. John.
Old 8th Jan 2022, 11:30 pm   #20
mister valve
Hexode

Quote:
Originally Posted by cathoderay57 View Post
Often Euro pirates on 48m and 52m bands. Reception currently is dreadful but sometimes there are flashback recordings of the pirate stations in their heyday that are a joy when listening conditions permit. The Dutch ones are quite frequent, although I haven't heard Johnny Tobacco for a while. He sometimes signs off with Vera Lynn "We'll Meet Again". Another odd one is The Bogus Man Experience with some unusual progressive music. Jerry
Crikey are there still 'pirate' radio stations on the 48 Metre Band !! I used to listen to them on a Sunday back in the 1970's on a Valve communications receiver (which I still have). If I remember correctly, they were usually on in the morning from about 10am 'til about 2PM or until their Battery run down or got caught . Some of them were quite 'professional' in their presentation, whilst others, not quite so. I was living down south in those days so nearer to the continent. But I should be able to pickup some of the stations here in Blackpool using 'skip-wave' and a good outside Aerial. I never knew they were also on 52 Metres too.... Maybe that is a recent thing ?