UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Telephony and Telecomms

Notices

Vintage Telephony and Telecomms Vintage Telephones, Telephony and Telecomms Equipment

Closed Thread

Old 14th Dec 2021, 12:43 am   #1
Hermitcrab
Triode

Default GPO telephone headsets

The telephone headset pictured had an amazingly long life, first introduced in the 1950's and used by the majority of GPO/BT operators until about 1987.

However, in the early 1980's a new type of headset was developed called the Auralite which was in use by a minority of BT operators, this had no headband and used an earpiece which went into the operator's ear canal. It wasn't as popular as you might have thought, being considered unhygienic and I knew of at least one operator who went back to using the traditional headset out of choice!

I wonder if any Auralites are still in use. As for the headset in the picture, that is now certainly consigned to history and was admittedly rather cumbersome.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	vintage-original-gpo-british-telecom_360_cf36852a3dc2e97ea7e9db2d8592cd7c.jpg
Views:	241
Size:	24.2 KB
ID:	247843  
Old 14th Dec 2021, 12:55 am   #2
Hermitcrab
Triode

Default Re: GPO telephone headsets

And here is a picture of the Auralite in all its glory, it came with a gigantic coiled cord and an operator wearing one of these could probably walk a significant length of the exchange room without taking their headset off!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2d6a258ddc743c61d2162a6cad06fe11.jpg
Views:	224
Size:	38.7 KB
ID:	247846  
Old 14th Dec 2021, 7:08 pm   #3
Sparks
Heptode

An amplified electret microphone in the Auralite would have a similar output to the carbon microphone in the old GPO headset. Probably higher quality audio too. Civil aircraft cockpit headsets work on much the same basis.
Old 14th Dec 2021, 10:19 pm   #4
Hermitcrab
Triode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparks View Post
An amplified electret microphone in the Auralite would have a similar output to the carbon microphone in the old GPO headset. Probably higher quality audio too. Civil aircraft cockpit headsets work on much the same basis.
Operators who used Auralite headsets found them indeed to be much better and clearer than the old type which used a carbon granule unit. I remember seeing the old type headsets in use by other organisations as well as BT on television well into the 1980s, but I don't think you would have seen any in use after around 1987.
Old 14th Dec 2021, 10:24 pm   #5
Hermitcrab
Triode

Before and possibly during the 1950s the GPO headset in use was called the head-and-breast set and is pictured. I have never seen one in use as I am not that old! The picture shows an operator at Potters Bar exchange in 1947.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1947headset.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	91.2 KB
ID:	247898  
Old 15th Dec 2021, 9:54 am   #6
Dave Moll
Dekatron

The transmitter in those head-and-breast-sets uses the same inset as a bakelite 164 handset.
Old 15th Dec 2021, 11:22 pm   #7
Richard_FM
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermitcrab View Post
The telephone headset pictured had an amazingly long life, first introduced in the 1950's and used by the majority of GPO/BT operators until about 1987.

However, in the early 1980's a new type of headset was developed called the Auralite which was in use by a minority of BT operators, this had no headband and used an earpiece which went into the operator's ear canal. It wasn't as popular as you might have thought, being considered unhygienic and I knew of at least one operator who went back to using the traditional headset out of choice!

I wonder if any Auralites are still in use. As for the headset in the picture, that is now certainly consigned to history and was admittedly rather cumbersome.
The horns on these would have seemed a little quaint by the 1960s.

I heard GPO engineers often had to solder in an extra resistor into the earphone as operators complained that they were too loud.
Old 17th Dec 2021, 1:57 am   #8
Hermitcrab
Triode

Quote:
And here is a picture of the Auralite in all its glory, it came with a gigantic coiled cord and an operator wearing one of these could probably walk a significant length of the exchange room without taking their headset off!
You could not buy an Auralite headset by walking into a phone shop: they were British Telecom branded and BT had the monopoly on them and their sale was restricted, so effectively you would have to be one of the operators who was supplied with them, I believe that some places such as hotels used these on their switchboards as well as some of BT's own operators. I did hear though that they cost in real terms over £100 each!
Old 18th Dec 2021, 9:17 pm   #9
Sparks
Heptode

Quote:
Quote:
You could not buy an Auralite headset by walking into a phone shop: they were British Telecom branded and BT had the monopoly on them and their sale was restricted, so effectively you would have to be one of the operators who was supplied with them, I believe that some places such as hotels used these on their switchboards as well as some of BT's own operators. I did hear though that they cost in real terms over £100 each!
The daft thing is that the Auralite is likely to have been a badge-engineered Plantronics unit. Could have been obtained from RS or Farnell.
Old 19th Dec 2021, 10:58 am   #10
Simondm
Pentode

I immediately thought "Plantronics" too. The microphone tube is exactly the same, allthough the earpiece black moulding overall is somewhat different to the model I used in the 1990s. The proper Plantronic set also has a rather nice hermaphroditic connector for the cable, although it's a pain as I suspect you need special tooling for it - I haven't ever successfully rewired one.
Old 21st Dec 2021, 9:39 am   #11
AD360 Rob
Hexode

Quote:
Before and possibly during the 1950s the GPO headset in use was called the head-and-breast set and is pictured. I have never seen one in use as I am not that old! The picture shows an operator at Potters Bar exchange in 1947.
Years ago I worked in a theatre in Tewkesbury that used these headsets for their in house talkback system (communication between lighting, stage, followspot operators etc) it was less than successful as ambient sound from the auditorium was generally much louder than what was in the earpiece. Nice use of old technology though
Old 22nd Dec 2021, 8:48 pm   #12
nutteronthebus
Hexode

I had a few of the Auralite headsets as a PABX eng for BT gave 1 to my son when he started in a call center for British Gas other opp were jealous as they as poor copy's
Old 23rd Dec 2021, 7:40 pm   #13
OscarFoxtrot
Heptode

Quote:
You could not buy an Auralite headset by walking into a phone shop: they were British Telecom branded and BT had the monopoly on them and their sale was restricted, so effectively you would have to be one of the operators who was supplied with them,
Also before phones had 'modular' handset cords, you had to buy a special phone with a headset jack to use a headset. IIRC a Plantronics phone was about £100 and another £100 for the headset.
Old 24th Dec 2021, 12:21 am   #14
Restoration73
Nonode

There was a similar looking version with twin earpieces to that shown in #1 made by
Coles and widely used in broadcasting - a version with a boom mic was also made.
Closed Thread