UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 14th Jan 2022, 8:24 pm   #1
Cobaltblue

Default Decca Long Playing Advisory Panel

Came across some old documents from 1951

It will take a while to scan as my scanner at home only A4 and the pages are foolscap.

This was part part of the Wad of papers.

Is this commonly available material or worth scanning?

Cheers

Mike T
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Decca 51.pdf (2.31 MB, 123 views)
Old 14th Jan 2022, 10:23 pm   #2
Hartley118
Nonode

Default Re: Decca Long Playing Advisory Panel

I’ve never seen this material before, despite having an interest in Decca’s early work on the recording and reproduction of their new microgroove records. In particular, the double triode (6SL7) high gain preamp is similar to the first section of the amplifier in the well-regarded Deccalian record player where it’s followed by a 6V6 output stage.

It reads like a development report on early Decca amplifier design, which I believe was led by Harvey Schwartz who came along with Decca’s acquisition of Brunswick in the USA. What it doesn’t mention is their neat principle of achieving the 78/LP equalisation switching by means of a shorting link in the relevant XMS pickup head.

The surprise is the late date of June 1951. By that time, the Deccalian was already on the market and being exhibited at the Festival of Britain. Maybe Decca just kept the circuit details confidential for a while before deciding to publish.

If there are more pages from the same source, it would certainly be interesting to see them. That period of the introduction of microgroove discs alongside 78s was historically important, and one where Decca were 2 or 3 years ahead of rivals EMI.

Martin.
Old 15th Jan 2022, 12:25 am   #3
Cobaltblue

Here's some more bits, the bulk of it however is a list of different manufactures equipment and the best player and head combinations and recommended modifications.

I will ty to scan it all next week

Cheers

Mike T
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Decca 51-1.pdf (3.64 MB, 73 views)
Old 15th Jan 2022, 12:50 am   #4
RojDW48
Nonode

I would also be fascinated to see more of this. I have several Decca RPs from the period - and a bit of an infatuation !!
Old 15th Jan 2022, 12:54 am   #5
joebog1
Banned

I dont know anything about Decca, but the little teaser you showed is very interesting. I would love to see the whole article.
Thankyou!!

Joe
Old 15th Jan 2022, 2:14 am   #6
Techman
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobaltblue View Post
Came across some old documents from 1951
Interestingly, I seem to have the originals of these and I don't remember how, why or from where, so guess they may already be out there somewhere. There's loads more...
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Decca.pdf (639.6 KB, 75 views)
Old 15th Jan 2022, 2:26 pm   #7
dave walsh
Dekatron

Location: Ramsbottom (Nr Bury) Lancs or Bexhill (Nr Hastings) Sussex.

Yes I found these notes very interesting. Thanks for posting Mike and Techman. I don't have any Decca Grams but I see that they have Garrard Decks [ie a 121 in the] Beau Decca. There seems to have been a lot of separate work going on around developing high quality pick ups. My recently arrived RGD 750 RG will need a pick up head [if I ever get round to it]. I take it that the plug in ones were not necessarily transferable between different companies, despite the similarities?

Having bought some LP's from a Charity Shop on Monday the lady behind the counter told me these were donated by herself. She pointed out that one had the correct record sleeve but it contained 2 single side test pressings that might be a little different. She said that her late brother had worked at Decca for five years. There were often various copies scattered around and that was what he had brought home I asked if he might have known Geoff Emerick [Beatles Recording Engineer- now also deceased] who was at the Abbey Road Studios but she couldn't help with that!

Dave W

Last edited by dave walsh; 15th Jan 2022 at 2:40 pm.
Old 15th Jan 2022, 3:10 pm   #8
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by RojDW48 View Post
I would also be fascinated to see more of this. I have several Decca RPs from the period - and a bit of an infatuation !!
Yes, all were excellent in this time period - including the rarely mentioned single-ended (6L6) "Panatrope".
Old 15th Jan 2022, 9:13 pm   #9
bill knox
Hexode

Hi

I have several LPs that I got when I worked at Decca, the one that I can specifically remember is a record by Lionel Hampden and from memory there is just one track on the other side all at 400Hz, I also have a test tone LP with fixed tones on one side and variable tones on the other, I also have 2 "Sampler" one playing classical music and the one a pop sampler, I have a feeling that I have some others but am not to sure what I have got as I have 2-3 hundred LPs.

We used to be given the records to test radiograms, they came without sleeves or dust covers but fortunately I knew someone in the Decca sleeve department and he used to give me a load of dust covers, when the sleeves arrived I just put the records inside and I had brand new records, Which by the way, when I came out of the forces I found that my dad had given a lot of the records away and by then I had left Decca, Grrrr.

Regards

Bill

Last edited by bill knox; 15th Jan 2022 at 9:21 pm.
Old 16th Jan 2022, 9:36 pm   #10
Phonosandradios
Tetrode

Decca produced some lovely full colour ad's from this period for the first, second and third LP releases. I came across these A3 fold out beauties in my copies of The Gramophone magazine from the early 1950's. They were a glorious colour highlight in an otherwise word heavy black and white publication. I can reproduce them here if there is any interest.

I also recently bought myself this handsome box set second hand which contains 53 selected early Decca LPs from the mono period from 1944 to 1956 remastered onto CD with a really interesting book that comes as part of it. Will keep me busy with many hours of listening over the coming months. The quality of the sound is simply stunning for the period and it is amazing what could be accomplished.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20220116_203034.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	29.8 KB
ID:	249813  
Old 17th Jan 2022, 12:49 pm   #11
Phonosandradios
Tetrode

Just having a quick flick through my copies of The Gramophone magazine from the early 1950's there were regular adverts put out by Decca for the LP Advisory Panel and I have attached a copy of one below. On the back was an advert for a rather nice projection TV the likes of which i've never seen but I bet it would of been hyper expensive and not many sold! I thought the proportions of the screen looked very similar to the widescreens of today - even though this ad is from 1951 - is that what it would of looked like or artistic licence I wonder

The following month there was a four page advert of the decca record player range. I have attached a copy of the two central pages as it gives the prices which I thought might be of interest.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20220117_112249.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	40.4 KB
ID:	249836   Click image for larger version

Name:	20220117_112231.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	45.0 KB
ID:	249837   Click image for larger version

Name:	20220117_112155.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	51.6 KB
ID:	249838   Click image for larger version

Name:	20220117_112208.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	58.0 KB
ID:	249839  
Old 19th Jan 2022, 11:43 am   #12
Cobaltblue

To round this off I have sent the originals to Martin

So that everyone has a chance to look at them I have scanned them.

They are available here:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/2oc12ml36...CN5TpFefa?dl=0

Currently they are too large to put on the forum.

Thanks to everyone that replied.

Cheers

Mike T
Closed Thread