UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment

Notices

Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment For discussions about vintage test gear and workshop equipment such as coil winders.

Closed Thread

Old 8th Jan 2022, 7:09 pm   #1
Holmseynw9
Triode

Default Sun Engine Tester 745

Hi all, i have a Sun engine performance tester 745. Type eet-745. I bought recently with wiring issues, i would like to get it operational but i am struggling to get wiring diagrams, maybe somebody can help.
Thanks in advance.
Holmseynw9.
Old 9th Jan 2022, 9:55 am   #2
Malcolm T
Hexode

Default Re: Sun Engine Tester 745

Try these people as its car orientated . They may know people , seems like your not the only one looking !.
http://www.nsra.org.uk/
or across the pond.
https://www.antiqueradios.com/forums...c.php?t=172697

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/...thread.839016/

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/....839016/page-7
Old 9th Jan 2022, 2:20 pm   #3
Holmseynw9
Triode

Hi, thanks for reply and help. Have tried all over the pond with no luck. Information on these machines has just vanished.
Thanks again.
Old 10th Jan 2022, 10:15 am   #4
Malcolm T
Hexode

I think your going to have your work cut out for you trying to find that manual. But who knows you might find one right on your doorstep in a garage there , its a strange world sometimes .
Old 10th Jan 2022, 7:28 pm   #5
The General
Hexode

Hi Holmsey, The 745 is one of the smaller versions of the big box testers which were made up from individual modules mounted in a frame & coupled together with a switching unit. Sun would usually combine two functions in each module, dwell, tach, combustion, coil test, condenser test, timing light etc. They would be paired in various combinations over time, unfortunately producing a very large number of models all of which seem to be quite hard to get information on. You might have more success searching for information on the individual modules' model numbers rather than for the complete unit.
Fortunately however, the individual test functions tended to be based on fairly simple circuits, I've had to sketch out Sun kit before now, I have the circuit for a Sun CCT-10 coil condenser tester on this site. This might be your best option for some units.
The most complex unit will be the ignition scope, I don't know which one you have but I do have a pdf copy of the repair manual for an SS-95 scope which may help. I also have a manual for a U-808 dwell tach unit & some basic info on how the combustion meter works. Sun tended to use the same basic circuits. PM me with your email & I'll send them to you.
HTH
Mark.
Old 12th Jan 2022, 2:35 pm   #6
Andrew B
Heptode

Hi Mark.

I used to work on both the Sun and Crypton machines. When I say "work", I mean board swap, we were supplied with a whole host of boards to change via a "flow diagram" worksheet. Boards were to be returned to head office for repair, where the secret circuit diagrams where kept in an underground vault !!!!. Being the nosey sort I found 70% of faults were due to dried out electrolytics and wonderful blue tantalums.
The monitors were the easiest things to fix.

Andrew

Andrew
Old 12th Jan 2022, 8:36 pm   #7
Holmseynw9
Triode

Hi Andrew, Have you a map for the vault? Having all sorts of issues trying to get info on these fine machines. The 115v transformer for the dwell and volt meter gauge (Panel part number is u-600n) on mine is fried so firstly I will have to get the transformer repaired (another day's work!)and work out what voltage goes where and then will have to find out why the transformer took a dump, there are two vacuum valves fitted to this panel, could they cause a transformer to burn out if they were faulty?

Thanks, Holmsey.
Old 13th Jan 2022, 2:23 pm   #8
Andrew B
Heptode

Hi Holmsey. I have never seen an old valve set. The ones I worked on were 68000 or Z80 based. Post a few pictures of the gubbins inside, if you can.
Andrew

Andrew
Old 13th Jan 2022, 6:39 pm   #9
Telleadict
Hexode

Hello

I know nothing about these but there have been some threads in the past about similar instruments. The Google site search at the very top centre of each page turns some up with a search for "engine analyzer", there might be some useful links hiding somewhere
Old 16th Jan 2022, 2:09 pm   #10
Holmseynw9
Triode

Hi,

I am beginning to wish I hadn't seen this tester for sale!! So hard to get information regarding drawings, I will have a look as you suggested, and thanks for your help.
Old 16th Jan 2022, 3:17 pm   #11
Station X

When buying things like this you have to accept the fact that you may end up with an expensive door stop. It all depends on your skill level, availability of spare parts, service info etc.

I have a Snap-on Connoisseur engine analyser myself, but if it went wrong I reckon I'd be hard pushed to fix it.

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 16th Jan 2022, 3:34 pm   #12
Station X

This eBay seller lists an number of Sun manuals, but not the 745, nearest is 740. It might be worth contacting him to see if he knows what the similarities and differences are:-

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/255054820361

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 16th Jan 2022, 6:23 pm   #13
Techman
Dekatron

I'm sorry to say that browsing various internet forums over the last decade and more I've seen many threads started by folk regarding Sun garage engine testers that have been bought second hand and I've followed these threads as an interested observer and I've never, ever seen one come to any sort of successful conclusion, and that's the truth. Sun are a closed shop and there was even a suggestion that Sun deliberately do something to them so that once they're decommissioned from a garage due to obsolescence, they can't go on to be used 'out in the wild', as this isn't good for the 'trade' at large.

All I can say is good luck with it and if you do manage to do any good with it then it may be a 'first'. I shouldn't really say this, but there's no shortage of uninitiated buyers out there ready to take it off your hands if you decide to move it on, then they'll join an internet forum to get advice on getting it up and running, and so it goes on, and on, and on...

Once again, good luck with it, I hope you can buck the trend and you actually manage to get it up and running, I'd love to be proved wrong on this, so please let us all know if you do succeed with it in the end.
Old 16th Jan 2022, 8:42 pm   #14
Holmseynw9
Triode

Thanks for all the replies, the eBay seller mentioned, i ordered the cd from him last week, told it has all the wiring diagrams to suit the 745, however i am not holding my breath on that, but it will be interesting to see what's on it when i get it. Will keep all updated as regards progress and hopefully in the not to distant future I will have it all hooked up showing all the right readings.

Last edited by Cobaltblue; 16th Jan 2022 at 10:58 pm. Reason: Automotive removed
Closed Thread