UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Telephony and Telecomms

Notices

Vintage Telephony and Telecomms Vintage Telephones, Telephony and Telecomms Equipment

Closed Thread

Old 11th Nov 2021, 8:18 am   #21
brenellic2000
Octode

Default Re: Telephone call charge rates: 3-minute history

Thanks but going back to my original question, any ideas why 3-mins was chosen as a band-rate?
Old 13th Nov 2021, 2:27 pm   #22
Pellseinydd
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by brenellic2000 View Post
Thanks but going back to my original question, any ideas why 3-mins was chosen as a band-rate?
I doubt we'll ever know as '3 minutes' was time interval bought for trunk calls as early as 1885.
Local calls in those days were free as part of the 'subscription' to the telephone service.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Three_minutes_1885.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	83.8 KB
ID:	245696  
Old 13th Nov 2021, 6:51 pm   #23
dagskarlsen
Heptode

The 3 minutes was used here in Norway too, and as a child I was told that that should be long enough to bring over a short message, and keep the load of the network down. I can remember that the capacity of the network was extremely stressed. At the same period it was a long time waiting for a number when you had applied for a telephone line at home, sometimes several years to wait. We were so lucky to have a phone, and the neighbors came to us and borrowed the phone when they needed to make a call, and when people called us to get in touch with the neighbors I had to run and get them. This problem lased to the 1970-ies.
Old 10th Dec 2021, 10:44 pm   #24
Oldcodger
Nonode

Ref my post #18 and reply #20. I mentioned Coventry as prior to the new exchange area(s) of Meriden and Fillongley , Coventry and Birmingham were adjacent areas and I suspect telephone traffic was brisk but only charged at local rate. Being cynical I'd suggest that GPO/PO (t) saw an easy way of boosting revenue by moving calls between these two business communities into a higher charge band.
Closed Thread