UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Computers

Notices

Vintage Computers Any vintage computer systems, calculators, video games etc., but with an emphasis on 1980s and earlier equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 18th Sep 2022, 11:57 am   #1
nicam49
Hexode

Default Atari 520ST

Hi All, this has been in storage in my loft for at least 25 years! (my! How time flies...) I bought it for a son when they were 1st out, so, late 80s?...and was the version that needed a boot disk to work. Anyway, was thinking of firing it up and am wanting advice whether I need to take precautions, (got the flack jacket already )...ought I to change any components 1st?... . Haven't got any floppies for it, tho', but just want to test it..... Thanks for any advice. Its still in its original boxes, btw.
btw, might be the 520stfm without climbing up into the loft to take a look.
Old 18th Sep 2022, 1:13 pm   #2
Keith956
Heptode

Default Re: Atari 520ST

I've got one of similar vintage. Not changed anything in the PSU - still the original caps and it's OK. But I did need to replace the floppy disk drive, they don't last forever, and if you're not carefull they can trash disks.
Old 18th Sep 2022, 1:23 pm   #3
Timbucus
Octode

My original STFM did need the drive repairing but, otherwise nothing just worked flawlessly. Wish I had kept my mono monitor though the TV signal crawl and limited resolution makes all my old dev tools less useful!
Old 18th Sep 2022, 1:24 pm   #4
Timbucus
Octode

If it is the STFM then the GEM TOS is in ROM so just leaving it with no disk for a while will bring up the GUI.
Old 18th Sep 2022, 4:10 pm   #5
nicam49
Hexode

Thanks for the comments and info. Just been in the loft and the box says 520STm. and the'm' is very tiny
Old 18th Sep 2022, 4:19 pm   #6
Outrun_uk
Heptode

Back in the day I repaired several of the power supplies from them. 2 modes of failure, either the machine just dies in use which was a resistor going o/c (2 watt 47r or 4k7 maybe?) or machine goes bang when turned on - full primary side rebuild!
Old 18th Sep 2022, 11:16 pm   #7
nicam49
Hexode

It's got a built-in modulator for connecting to a TV - that's what the 'm' means (got that off Wikipedia)
Old 19th Sep 2022, 9:41 am   #8
SiriusHardware
Dekatron

And the 'F' means it has a floppy drive built in, on the right hand side of the machine. Although it does have a modulator built in and therefore also has composite video out available from its 13 pin monitor socket, RGB-out to a SCART-RGB capable monitor or TV is the best way to go.

There is a fairly strong user community around these here:-

https://www.atari-forum.com

If in working order complete with mouse they sell for quite reasonable money but if you do decide to sell it, never send it by post or through a courier unless you have the original box and polystyrene inserts. I've just acquired one myself, as spares, which is obviously a past victim of postal disease.

They don't really have any 'stock' power supply faults like the famous exploding RIFAs in the BBC model B power supply but, as with anything which contains electrolytics which have not seen power for decades, there is no guarantee that it will work. I would say just give it a go. As Tim mentioned, with no floppy disc in the drive it will sit on a blank white screen for quite a while until the GEM desktop appears.

Last edited by SiriusHardware; 19th Sep 2022 at 9:49 am.
Old 20th Sep 2022, 10:22 am   #9
nicam49
Hexode

Thanks Sirius! I'll give it a go then, and also look into signing up to the Atari forum. I'll report back here once I've dusted off my old 12inch TV.
Old 20th Sep 2022, 1:28 pm   #10
nicam49
Hexode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outrun_uk View Post
Back in the day I repaired several of the power supplies from them. 2 modes of failure, either the machine just dies in use which was a resistor going o/c (2 watt 47r or 4k7 maybe?) or machine goes bang when turned on - full primary side rebuild!
Thanks for that insight into what might go wrong and a fix 👍
Old 20th Sep 2022, 2:19 pm   #11
SiriusHardware
Dekatron

If you can't find your TV or you can't tune the computer's signal on the TV, here's a useful web page detailing all of the Atari ST's connections. Scroll (quite a long way...) down to find the 13-Pin DIN video-out connector.

https://info-coach.fr/atari/hardware/interfaces.php

The pins are a bit thinner than those on DIN plugs with fewer pins so if you want to make a temporary composite connection to a TV or display which has composite-in, just find a couple of thickish component legs which are a smooth push-fit into socket pins 2 (Composite-Out) and 13 (GND) and wire them to an RCA/Phono or SCART plug, whatever form factor the Composite input on your display needs.

I notice that drawing says that composite-out is only present on pin 2 on the STe model, that is not actually true for the UK models, it is present on pin 2 on all ST models which have an RF modulator built in.
Closed Thread