UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items

Notices

Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items For discussions about other vintage (over 25 years old) electrical and electromechanical household items. See the sticky thread for details.

Closed Thread

Old 1st Sep 2022, 8:03 pm   #21
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

Default Re: Hoover Steam Iron.

I can just about remember my paternal grandfather, a bespoke tailor in Edinburgh, heating a pair of irons in the fire.
My maternal grandmother was still using a passive iron heated on an open coal fire in the early 60s. This wasn't some croft on the Isle of Arran, it was in the rural fringes of Stoke.

My Nan had a couple of irons with their weights marked in the cast iron tops. The steel handle was wrapped in a thick cotton cloth.
The older generation like to keep to the ideas that have served them well. It happens with all generations. John.
Old 1st Sep 2022, 9:39 pm   #22
dglcomp
Heptode

My Gran still had her Morphy Richards (PA75?) iron until her passing and it's still around here somewhere and works just fine, even the indicators.
My gran stopped using it when it got too heavy for her and brought a new morphy richards to replace it.
Old 2nd Sep 2022, 10:29 am   #23
winston_1
Hexode

The old flat irons that were heated up on the side of the boiler work very well heated on an induction hob.
Old 6th Sep 2022, 10:07 am   #24
regentone001
Heptode

My mum had a Morphy Richards Atlantic steam iron when they first came out. It died not long after the guarantee, how unusual, ran out. She took it in for repair and left it in the shop when it cost more for the replacement element than it did for the iron originally.
Old 6th Sep 2022, 3:35 pm   #25
usradcoll1
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancs Lad View Post
Thanks so much, everyone, for your replies - greatly appreciated!

Yes, Kevin, that's the exact same iron as the one I have.

I do love old adverts like that one - aimed at the 'busy housewife'. Gender roles were definitely more defined in those days...

Liverish husbands indeed!
In the US, Hoover was a small player in the small appliance line. I remember seeing some around, but GE dominated the market, followed by Sunbeam!
Hoover dominated the floor-care market.
Dave, USradcoll1.
Old 6th Sep 2022, 5:12 pm   #26
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

The most common Morphy Richards iron was the classic CA75.
This had a separate heavy soleplate, element, Asbestos pad, thermostat and clamp plate. They also did a heavy ceramic cowl version, All spares available and fully repairable.

The LA75 was the lightweight version with embedded element in a aluminium soleplate.
The replacement element/soleplate was 2/3 the cost of a new iron and usually wrote it off especially if the cord was tatty.

Small appliance repairs were usually straightforward such as the fat waxie cap in the handle of the MR Hair dryer and the profit made usually paid most of the shop electricity bill. I still have my Blue HD service data book! John.
Closed Thread