UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Where To Get Sets and Parts

Notices

Where To Get Sets and Parts For discussions about swapmeets, rallies, NVCF and BVWS, car boot sales, antique and charity shops, dealers, newspaper adverts, the local tip and just about any other source of equipment (other than eBay).

Closed Thread

Old 26th Aug 2021, 8:50 pm   #1
Stinkersdaddy
Diode

Default 1970s Centralab Ceramic Caps

Hello

I’m trying to find 6 x Centralab 0.47uf 10v ceramic caps in order to restore a vintage effect pedal.

I’ve searched every site worldwide I can find with no luck and could obviously use modern versions, but the pedal is very valuable and it would devalue it considerably to do so.
So I wondered if anybody out there could help me with a source for these or at least a set of something from the period very similar?

Last edited by Cobaltblue; 26th Aug 2021 at 9:37 pm. Reason: Please put image in post not link
Old 26th Aug 2021, 9:40 pm   #2
Cobaltblue

Default Re: 1970s Centralab Ceramic Caps

Hi and welcome to the forum.

We dont like new users posting external links due to the risk of spam.

Please attach a picture to a post

Cheers

Mike T
Old 26th Aug 2021, 10:30 pm   #3
Maarten
Dekatron

Are you sure they're ceramic? If they really are, they probably don't need replacing.

If you could post a picture to verify, that would be very helpful.

if they happen to be electroytic, which is more likely for a 470n 10V capacitor, you could try restuffing the old ones.
Old 26th Aug 2021, 11:14 pm   #4
turretslug
Dekatron

There were some fairly awful low-voltage ceramic caps around in the past, they are one of the bugbears of Marconi test gear of the era- I was surprised to find this out but when I did, I checked the bag of several dozen NOS 100nF 30V ceramic discs that I had, every one was badly leaky on a low-voltage ohm-meter. I once found 6V rated disc ceramics in a French portable record player!
Old 27th Aug 2021, 12:05 am   #5
joebog1
Banned

I will nearly bet they are those HORRIBLE dried out .47uF 10volt electrolytics that were so popular 30 or 40 years ago. Most japanese stuff had at least 20 of them in their circuitry. Especially bothersome in phono stages where they were used for coupling and feedback.

Joe
Old 27th Aug 2021, 8:04 am   #6
Cobaltblue

Unfortunately I had to remove the link but the caps on the link were as described not electrolytic but small round (green) ceramic caps. If you google the description you will find pictures.

Cheers

Mike T
Old 27th Aug 2021, 9:11 am   #7
Sideband
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by turretslug View Post
There were some fairly awful low-voltage ceramic caps around in the past,
Yes I know those awful things. It's not surprising there are none about now. It's one of those situations where you have to make a decision as to how to replace them sympathetically with modern equivalents (if it really is that important). I very much doubt that replacing those old ceramic capacitors with much more reliable modern alternatives will make an ounce of difference to the effects produced by the pedal.

Even if original types could be found, they will be old stock and as leaky as the originals fitted so it would seem to be a pointless exercise.
Old 27th Aug 2021, 1:54 pm   #8
Stinkersdaddy
Diode

Thanks All

Sorry for the link mistake, I've now attached a photo to make amends (or t least I think I have!). This is an image of the correct caps for my specific pedal, it was a short run version and was nicknamed "The 47" as most of the caps and resistors were some variation on a 47 value. I know they are not great caps and these old pedals vary so much in sound from one to another that no two ever sound the same. The issue I've got with mine is someone has messed with the original early 70s board and replaced with modern film caps of the wrong value. Great for tolerance and stability, but bad for an OCD collector like me who wants an authentic version, not to mention heavily devaluing it. I'd really like to take it back to how it was when it came out of the factory with the bad period ceramics if possible.

Click image for larger version

Name:	BMP 47_V2_2.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	67.5 KB
ID:	240192
Old 27th Aug 2021, 2:37 pm   #9
factory
Octode

These are about the closest I can see for sale; https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/143234846286

They are marked .47M and M is a tolerance of 20%, the existing ones marked Z are worse at +80%/-20% tolerance. I found them searching for 470nF (same as 0.47uF) 10V disc capacitor.
I'm guessing low voltage disc caps are a thing of the past and new stuff uses MLCC surface mount stuff for low voltage.

David
Old 27th Aug 2021, 3:48 pm   #10
Refugee
Dekatron

I would make them up.
Find some plastic disks slightly smaller that the capacitors and cut a notch in the side of the disk slightly wider than the lead spacing you want.
Solder two wires to an SMD cap selected so that the target lead spacing is achieved.
Wedge the cap with leads into the notch in the disk with a tiny spot of hot melt glue.
Finally dip it in some green emulsion paint and allow to dry.
Old 27th Aug 2021, 6:46 pm   #11
Stinkersdaddy
Diode

Thanks Factory, I found those on eBay too, but the seller only has 2 available unfortunately. I may just buy them anyway to stick in the parts box.

That is great idea Refugee, vintage look with modern tolerances…….now what can I fuse as discs!
Old 28th Aug 2021, 1:21 pm   #12
factory
Octode

Having another look for modern parts, it appears 0.47uF through-hole ceramic capacitors are still made, but only in 25V or higher ratings, some examples from Farnell;
https://uk.farnell.com/w/c/passive-c...=25v|25vdc|50v

David
Old 6th Sep 2021, 8:04 pm   #13
kevinaston1
Hexode

Have a try on

https://www.facebook.com/groups/synthrepair/

One of the members may have a box of them.
Closed Thread