UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Where To Get Sets and Parts

Notices

Where To Get Sets and Parts For discussions about swapmeets, rallies, NVCF and BVWS, car boot sales, antique and charity shops, dealers, newspaper adverts, the local tip and just about any other source of equipment (other than eBay).

Closed Thread

Old 21st Apr 2018, 9:35 am   #1
Tractionist
Heptode

Default Lidl re-chargeable irons

Hi All,

I bought a small re-chargeable iron the other day from Lidl ..... basically to keep in a 'general toolbox' and if necessary to do odd light jobs around the car etc.

(I've been thinking about getting a butane catalyst iron for some time - but really decent kit isn't cheap and difficult to justify for occasional use.)

I have yet to use it but can report that it isn't a 'toy'. It is lithium-ion and comes with a mains-powered USB docking station and a USB fly lead for taking power off any other appropriate usb source. Specified wattage is only 4w and max heat is 470deg ...... warm-up time seemed to be very fast when I tinned the tip.

Battery discharge duration is specified as 'approximately sixty minutes'.

It also features an in-built LED task light, and ........ a three year guarantee!

I'll let you all know how it performs as and when I get the urge to fuse something together .........
Old 21st Apr 2018, 9:37 am   #2
Tractionist
Heptode

Default Re: Lidl re-chargeable irons

P.S. The price is currently £9.99.
Old 21st Apr 2018, 4:36 pm   #3
TowerRadio
Hexode

I bought one,the first time I have ever paid good money for a soldering iron(all my others seem to have been "aquired") . The bit tapers to a sharp point. Someone on an auction site is offering TEN Henley Solon 125 watt jobs,NOS.Where have they been hiding? Les.
Old 21st Apr 2018, 6:51 pm   #4
Tractionist
Heptode

I know the feeling Les! Some of my Antex's have gone walkies, my TCP is currently waiting for a fairly priced mag-switch etc. etc. Currently using a Yihua 936 temperature-controlled iron on the bench ..... a little under-powered - but holding-up O.K.

Basically you can't have enough irons in my opinion ... one for heavy chassis work, one for hard-wired work, and one for PCB's etc. etc.
Old 21st Apr 2018, 7:08 pm   #5
IanBland
Hexode

Couple of years ago I purchased one of the cheap Maplin own brand ones which were a tenner for a set (iron, stand, little sponge) a while ago. It's actually quite good, if rather unsubtle.
Closed Thread