UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Where To Get Sets and Parts

Notices

Where To Get Sets and Parts For discussions about swapmeets, rallies, NVCF and BVWS, car boot sales, antique and charity shops, dealers, newspaper adverts, the local tip and just about any other source of equipment (other than eBay).

Closed Thread

Old 9th Mar 2014, 12:35 am   #1
Michael Maurice

Default New method of making parts with a 3D printer.

I recently received the following email for a company that makes plastic parts using a 3D printer.

R.J.Lewis Design Ltd is a small team of freelance Design Engineers based in North Dorset with 40 years experience in engineering design and manufacture.

I thought I would write to you a service we can offer;

I recently had to get my 20 year old CD player repaired, the part I needed is now obsolete. I was able to Model the part then 3D print it in Plastic, the new part could then be installed in the unit.

Click image for larger version

Name:	3d 1.jpg
Views:	265
Size:	6.0 KB
ID:	90005

I appreciate most spares are available somewhere, but for ones that are not, if I have the part, I can measure it, Model it, Print it, and reproduce it.

I have a customer who refurbishes ATM’s (Cash point machines), he cannot get some of the parts, so that’s what I have been doing for him. See image below.

Click image for larger version

Name:	3d2.jpg
Views:	256
Size:	6.7 KB
ID:	90006

If you ever get stuck for a part let me know.

I hope you find the above of interest and I would be pleased if you could find a moment to visit my Web Site.

If I can be of any assistance please feel free to contact me.

Regards

Richard

R.J.Lewis Design Ltd
Email rjlewisdesign@btconnect.com
Tel 01747829295
Mob 07739310299
Skype rjlewisdesign
Webhttp:// www.rjlewisdesign.co.uk

http://www.michaelmauricerepairs.co.uk/
Old 9th Mar 2014, 12:59 am   #2
AC/HL
Dekatron

Default Re: New method of making parts with a 3D printer.

Interesting. As Manufacturers scale back spare parts stock holdings, and prices come down, it may help in keeping some things going.
Old 9th Mar 2014, 9:10 pm   #3
trickie_dickie
Hexode

The company I now work for makes its Battery Holders this way. Fascinating to watch. It has a reel of plastic (looks like 2mm thick wire), a flat glass plate which is heated on which the item is "printed". Motors to move the injector head in an X-Y motion. Another to raise the head gradually and one to feed the plastic and a heater to melt it. All looks like a Heath Robinson Meccano set up.
Old 9th Mar 2014, 10:36 pm   #4
Dave Moll
Dekatron

I find myself asking the following questions (though I suppose I should ask R.J. Lewis Design):
* What do they need to produce a given design?
* Can they start from an existing example to produce a copy?
* What sort of price would be involved.
Old 10th Mar 2014, 6:32 pm   #5
GMB
Dekatron

I can answer some of that as I have been trying out 3D printing for commercial purposes.

To answer the questions, they need a 3D model in STL format which can be generated from most 3D design software.

Starting from an existing example is generally costly and/or not very satisfactory. You are better off measuring the thing up and setting up a CAD model.

Until yesterday I thought that getting prints done commercially would cost between £70-£200 to make a thing like a knob, but I just found someone who is seriously cheaper than that.

Finally, the 3D print technique that actually works properly is the laser sintering method. Forget the cheap printers that you see everywhere - OK for fun models but not great to accurate stuff. I just ran a plastic case for a little product on an SLS machine and the result was amazing.
Old 10th Mar 2014, 7:50 pm   #6
Dave Moll
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMB View Post
Starting from an existing example is generally costly and/or not very satisfactory.
I rather suspected that that might be the case.
Old 10th Mar 2014, 7:52 pm   #7
Mikeymushradio
Rest in Peace

Maplin do a Velleman kit with good reviews, currently on sale with £200 pounds off if anyone wants to get into the technology.

I would like one but will wait and see how useful they are first.

No connection with either firm just interested.

Mike
Old 13th Mar 2014, 3:20 pm   #8
Karen O
Rest in Peace

I wonder if manufacturers could be persuaded to release archived drawings/CAD files?

I've often wondered whether there are dusty libraries of engineering drawings of long obsolete products in basements somewhere.
Old 13th Mar 2014, 4:24 pm   #9
FIXITNOW
Octode

I guess as we do more of this if someone has already done the part we just need a file to load
And print our own

I guess the will be a big library on the web of parts to print
Old 23rd Mar 2014, 7:10 pm   #10
AndyMor
Triode

This library idea has potential, I'm sure. For example, I recently got a 3D-printed replacement small part for my bread machine from Shapeways (www.shapeways.com ).
The part I wanted has already been designed by someone else and is in the vast library they offer, all I needed to do was order a copy. The designer gets paid each time. I have not found any vintage radio parts on there yet. If R.J. Lewis Design is a better source for our needs maybe they would set up a "library" ?

The part is made in "stainless steel", actually I think it is mostly bronze but works very well. Much cheaper than a new breadmaker. details:
http://www.shapeways.com/model/18132...&materialId=23
Closed Thread