UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Where To Get Sets and Parts

Notices

Where To Get Sets and Parts For discussions about swapmeets, rallies, NVCF and BVWS, car boot sales, antique and charity shops, dealers, newspaper adverts, the local tip and just about any other source of equipment (other than eBay).

Closed Thread

Old 16th Nov 2013, 12:42 pm   #1
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Default Audio-Technica styli

Hi everyone,

Just seen that you can get original/genuine styli for the ever-popular AT-91 and AT-95E cartridges direct from the manufacturers for £12.50 and £24.00 respectively, including VAT and postage (I think).

These prices compare favourably with 3rd-party suppliers where you don't always know what you're getting.

http://www.audiotechnicashop.com/ind...ory&path=93_51

Nick.
Old 19th Nov 2013, 11:00 pm   #2
bikerhifinut
Octode

Default Re: Audio-Technica styli

Yes the AT95E is still in production, I recently bought one as a stopgap while I save up to get an Ortofon MC cartridge retipped.
It's a ****** good device, I was very pleasantly surprised how lively it sounded and it's a very good demonstration of the laws of diminishing returns.
More suited to a modern higher mass arm than earlier stuff like the SP25, PL12D Turntables and SME 3009 arms which really work better with the likes of a SHURE M75ED or similar high compliance cartridge.
Tracks very well at around 2.5 grams in my Rega based arm which is at the heavy end of the recommended tracking force.
It's worth noting that when trying a new cartridge, to start at the heavy end and ease it off to find the optimum downforce for your arm. More damage is done to LP's by a mistracking stylus bouncing around the groove at a lower than advised weight, than a well designed and manufactured diamond sitting snugly in the groove.
Apologies to the grannies whom I have just tried to teach how to suck eggs!
Old 19th Nov 2013, 11:20 pm   #3
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Good advice, and agree with you wholeheartedly about diminishing returns! "Why pay more?" as they say.

A-T are helpful too. I e-mailed them about the AT-95E "cartridge height" (vertical dimension from mounting surface to stylus tip) so that I could set the arm height on my SL-1200/2 quickly without having to guess whether the headshell and record were parallel, and they had the decency to reply in a couple of days with the answer (I think it's 17.2mm BTW)
Old 19th Nov 2013, 11:46 pm   #4
bikerhifinut
Octode

Very helpful of them indeed.
I have to say I just adjust the pillar of the arm using Mr Michells handy VTA adjusting collar for Rega arms until it looks there or thereabouts. VTA is contentious at the best of times, and many cartridges have different VTA values. I just twiddle a bit around the horizontal until it sounds right to me. But I do spend a lot of time with an alignment protractor, that alone in my opinion can make the difference and a modest cartridge well aligned can really dig the music out.
But I will, once I get the cash saved up, get my Ortofon Moving coil cartridge refurbished as the difference is worthwhile to me. Whether its 10 times better in monetary terms is always debatable but it keeps me out of the pub!
On a slight tangent, there are some awful cartridges out there in retail land, and its no wonder some people have such a low regard for poor old vinyl. Thank the great juju that the likes of AT and Ortofon are still in business and making affordable stuff. Goldring if you must........... but my experience of their current cheap stuff hasnt been good, and the 1000 series has now got into silly money and for me you'll get a bigger bang for your budget buck with the 2 aforementioned manufacturers. The ortofon OM series are good as fitted as OEM to the budget Pro-Ject gear. And when you feel rich you can upgrade by simply shelling out for a more sophisticated stylus, if you feel the need.
Old 24th Nov 2013, 12:59 pm   #5
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Just fitted a new complete AT-91 cartridge to my parents' 1970s Philips 312 turntable and have to say that it sounds absolutely fantastic tracking at 2.0g. A real bargain for £19.

N.
Old 25th Dec 2013, 1:36 am   #6
FrankB
Heptode

Pfanstheil (also includes Datak, and a whole smattering of combined companies) is still selling the AT cartridges and styli here in the states. Min order is $50.00 USD.
I have used them many times over the years, and have no complaints about their product or service.
Old 25th Dec 2013, 10:57 pm   #7
Meat Pye
Retired Dormant Member

I've always liked AT cartridges: they're lively without being too 'bright'. The AT-91 was to be found in midis and stack systems (far exceeding the deck in quality) while the '93 and '95 were 'real' hi-fi. IIRC the only difference between the last two was an elliptical stylus for the the latter and a spherical for the former. The only gripe I had about the 93/95 was a rather low outpu of 3.5mV, requiring the volume control to be turned past 12 'o' clock for a decent level of sound.
Closed Thread