UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Where To Get Sets and Parts

Notices

Where To Get Sets and Parts For discussions about swapmeets, rallies, NVCF and BVWS, car boot sales, antique and charity shops, dealers, newspaper adverts, the local tip and just about any other source of equipment (other than eBay).

Closed Thread

Old 27th Jul 2014, 4:36 pm   #1
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Default Iconic 1930s Bakelite Philips set (834?) spotted in Warwickshire house clearance shop

Just been to a function in Alcester, Warwickshire, and while killing time, spotted a very nice 1930s Philips 834(?) Bakelite set in a house clearance shop.

http://www.radiomuseum.org/r/philips_834a.html

I didn't examine it in great detail, but from the front, it looked to be in fine condition.

It was priced at £150 which seemed a fair price to me (but then what do I know?!). Not sure how much haggling room there might be, but always worth a go.

The shop is called "Classic Clutter". I have the phone number and a photo if anyone's interested.

Nick.
Old 27th Jul 2014, 7:22 pm   #2
Sideband
Dekatron

Default Re: Iconic 1930s Bakelite Philips set (834?) spotted in Warwickshire house clearance

If that's what it was it's one of the famous 'Superinductance' TRF sets similar to the 274 (same circuit, different styling). Very nice and not really excessively priced for one of those. I have a 274 that performs extremely well.
Old 27th Jul 2014, 7:59 pm   #3
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Default Re: Iconic 1930s Bakelite Philips set (834?) spotted in Warwickshire house clearance

"Not excessively priced" is what I thought too, Richard.

Sorry for poor pic... £40 phone, dim lighting, and screaming baby in arms!

The back was present (but loose as you can see), and I'm told it works but is a bit crackly(!).

I've guessed at model number from looking at online pics.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo0091.jpg
Views:	244
Size:	32.5 KB
ID:	95570  
Old 28th Jul 2014, 1:27 pm   #4
Phil G4SPZ
Dekatron

I'm pretty sure that this set featured in an excellent restoration article in a recent BVWS Bulletin.

Optimist [n]: One who is not in possession of the full facts
Old 28th Jul 2014, 1:33 pm   #5
petervk2mlg
Heptode

Those radios change hands for around $1000 in Australia.
Old 28th Jul 2014, 1:45 pm   #6
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Interesting, Peter.

I would have grabbed it except I was consoling an upset baby and my wife would have had something to say as it would have had to go in her car.

The grille cloth and knobs looked original, but I didn't examine it any more than that.

N.
Old 2nd Aug 2014, 2:44 pm   #7
high_vacuum_house
Octode

Smile Re: Iconic 1930s Bakelite Philips set (834?) spotted in Warwickshire house clearance

Good afternoon,
Just called them to have a look at this set as I was going to be around the area and it has now gone.

Christopher Capener
Old 2nd Aug 2014, 4:01 pm   #8
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Oh, that's a shame. Someone had a bargain, I think.

Nick.
Closed Thread