UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Where To Get Sets and Parts

Notices

Where To Get Sets and Parts For discussions about swapmeets, rallies, NVCF and BVWS, car boot sales, antique and charity shops, dealers, newspaper adverts, the local tip and just about any other source of equipment (other than eBay).

Closed Thread

Old 19th Aug 2010, 9:16 am   #1
Pamphonica
Nonode

Default Valves from John_BS

I have volunteered to act as a "stores" for the 300+ valves generously donated by John_BS. See this thread. But I need help from forum members.

He does not want to dispose of them in one go, or even take any money, but provide a small bank of valves for forum members. This does pose problems, which he and I have been discussing, but we would like members' inputs.

The valves are not rare - mostly 6/E/U series B9A with a smattering of stabilisers and other valves used in scopes etc. Audio/Radio, not TV. A bit like a pot-luck tray of B9As from a BVWS auction but probably in better nick!

But this should not just be an opportunity for people to grab handfuls to swell their valve stocks. Somehow we have to be fair in allocation, and prevent all the "good stuff" vanishing quickly. To prevent this, John suggested that a small donation be made for anything which would otherwise fetch a quid or two on Ebay.

Then the question is, what to do with these funds. They could go to The British Vintage Wireless and Television Museum. Or possibly, John suggests, they be used to buy small parcels of valves (from BVWS auction or members) to
keep the stock replenished.

I most certainly don't want to become a valve hoard curator, so could we have your suggestions on how to deal with this.
  • How do we allocate valves? We have a list but want to satisfy need not greed.
  • Do we charge a small donation for better valves (which I could test)
  • How do we prevent it from being a chore.
  • Should we advertise the whole list or just respond to individual "valve wanted" posts
  • How do we benefit the most members of the forum.
BTW thanks to John for giving us this "problem". It's a very generous gesture, which I will try to augment, from my own small valve stocks.

regards
Jeremy

Old 19th Aug 2010, 12:19 pm   #2
ekcobeach
Rest in Peace

Default Re: Valves from John_BS

Hi Jeremy, I think to advertise the whole list would probably save a lot of unnecessary answering of requests. Maybe limit two valves per member. Any obvious gems like triodes etc could be offered individually to the highest offer by PM and proceeds go to the museum. Colin.
Old 19th Aug 2010, 1:54 pm   #3
JoshWard
Octode

I agree there should be a list on the forum, maybe a locked post which can be updated, perhaps a sticky in the sets & parts offered section.

Then when members want a valve they can check the list and send you a PM.

I don't think there should be a valve limit but rather some confirmation that the valve is actually going to be used (success story of the particular set in question perhaps?)

I agree a donation to the Wireless Museum would be a good idea, depending on rarity, with more common valves perhaps being just a quid plus p&p. A cheap resource but there's still a pound going to the museum which is better than nothing.

Josh.
Old 19th Aug 2010, 3:36 pm   #4

If packing is a problem, it always is with me, why not get the prospective purchaser to send the quid or two in an SAB, stamped addressed box. Anyone can go and 'Paypay' (for example) a few quid, getting a box together shows some commitment.

Old 19th Aug 2010, 10:44 pm   #5
Phil G4SPZ
Dekatron

Good luck with this initiative, which is similar to one I have suggested myself in the past. However, don't underestimate the amount of time that it may absorb; having boxed and posted a number of valves to members myself on several occasions, it's quite easy to spend whole evenings on this task! And when the recipient complains that the valve has arrived damaged in the post, what happens then?

I like the idea of the recipient sending the payment plus postage-paid return packing in advance. That will certainly simplify the sender's task.

I believe that an Excel spreadsheet is essential for keeping track of collections in excess of a few dozen valves. My spreadsheet lists over 2,000 valves, not just my own stock, but those of three other Forum members who were good enough to send me a list of what they held. Ultimately this could form a central resource, but two things are stopping me doing it; firstly, professional valve dealers could claim we were robbing them of business, and secondly, curating this lot could become a full-time job - and I've already got one of those!

Phil

Optimist [n]: One who is not in possession of the full facts
Old 19th Aug 2010, 11:08 pm   #6
Pamphonica
Nonode

I am aware it may take a bit of time but I will see how it goes. I post off valves to members quite a bit and am happy to do so once every few weeks. I will have to respond to requests when I have time. I think it will only work is SABs are used. I cannot source 100s of boxes and sort out postage. And a donation is best, not some sort of "stock replenishment", as I don't want this to be an ongoing job for decades! But at least I can put something back into the forum which is so helpful to me.
My escapades with valve boxes have taught me that any central buying is time consuming...
regards
Jeremy
Old 21st Aug 2010, 8:10 pm   #7
Guitarist28
Heptode

Hi Jeremy,
I tend to agree with Josh's comments with regard to those requesting a valve should give some form of 'evidence' that they have indeed used it in an item of equipment.

With regard to cost I don't mind paying a couple of quid plus P&P for common valves but more for 'rarer' or more desirable ones. You may have to think of a benchmark to compare these to and take a low average from this perhaps. Although I do think that all valves should be priced so as they accessible to all members (working or not).

I also agree that you should think of your time to do this - perhaps orders should be at a set time per month?

All proceeds to the British Wireless and Television Museum of course

Regards

Rob
Old 21st Aug 2010, 9:39 pm   #8
glowinganode
Octode

How about splitting the stock into two similar lots, and sending one "up North" to a second custodian.
The lot could be brought to an event for example the Harpenden bring and buy. Items could be reserved and paid for in advance for collection in person or FCS, the rest available for purchase on the day. Pricing would obviously need adressing priorly for the higher value items. The less valuable ones / pulls lucky dip £1 a go?
Trying to supervise allocation and price on a meritocratic basis would be difficult and time consuming, as will the physical distribution.
I really apprciate John's kindness and sentiments and agree the solution needs to be fair and reasonable to all (including the custodian).
Rob.
Old 22nd Aug 2010, 11:54 am   #9
HamishBoxer
Dekatron

If there is anyway i can help please PM me.

David GM8JET
Old 23rd Aug 2010, 8:11 pm   #10
Pamphonica
Nonode

If it looks feasible to split the 300-valve lot and have some up North, that sounds a fine idea. Any volunteers? Perhaps the underprivileged souls in Scotland should have first look in this time (HamishBoxer?) as they have a far harder time getting components than those of us in the South-East.
I will add 50 or so spare valves of my own (radio ones) to the lot in any case so it may be a reasonable size to split.
Old 29th Aug 2010, 11:00 pm   #11
mendipviews
No Longer a Member

Hi,
if I could be of any help I have a large workshop/storage building and various 40ft containers for storage near Bristol and travel twice a week to Henley-On-Thames where I have other storage facilities.
Also have access to large amounts of packing materials and have various accounts with couriers, etc.

Also travel up country fairly frequently

Regards
Luke
2E0VHV
Old 29th Aug 2010, 11:21 pm   #12
Pamphonica
Nonode

Luke,
kind offer indeed. The actual bulk is not bad - it's only a few 100s of valves not 1000s. It fitted in my estate car fine. I have been sorting them for the last couple of days.
I have been discussing the best method of handling distribution with John and I think we have a way forward. For the moment it is probably not worth splitting this smallish stock. Post works fine for everyone, wherever they are.
I will start a new post once the valves are re-catalogued and the list will be attached for all to see.
Thanks all for suggestions - many of which will be used.
best regards
Jeremy
Old 29th Aug 2010, 11:25 pm   #13
mendipviews
No Longer a Member

Hi Jeremy,
no problem the offer is there for anybody needing to store things for a while.

Kind regards
Luke

Last edited by Dave Moll; 30th Aug 2010 at 6:28 pm. Reason: unnecessary full quote of preceding post
Old 2nd Dec 2013, 11:00 pm   #14
Pamphonica
Nonode

I think this thread is well past its' sell-by date - thanks for all the inputs
mods please close
thanks
Jeremy
Closed Thread