UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Success Stories

Notices

Success Stories If you have successfully repaired or restored a piece of equipment, why not write up what you did and post details here. Particularly if it was interesting, unusual or challenging. PLEASE DO NOT POST REQUESTS FOR HELP HERE!

Closed Thread

Old 12th Dec 2020, 6:47 pm   #1
vinrads
Dekatron

Default GEC transistor radio restored

The story is Lisa was asking for someone to restore a GEC radio to give to her mother as here late father used to work at the GEC factory, she saw a radio being repaired on the workshop program which brought back fond memories. Lisa won the same model radio on eBay and had it sent to me to repair.

I decided to go to town on this one, replacing all the electrolytic and paper capacitors, strange thing I found the leg of two transistors had been eaten away. I managed to solder them back. There was a hole/tear on the front speaker cloth and the left top corner also was worn, I pinched a bit of material from the bottom, where it is not seen, to effect a repair. I cleaned the case and all the brass work and lacquered it, the radio is now working and ready to be boxed up as a lovely Christmas present from Lisa to her Mother.

Mick.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP0022.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	108.8 KB
ID:	222405   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP0023.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	143.6 KB
ID:	222406   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP0025.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	89.0 KB
ID:	222407   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP0026.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	71.7 KB
ID:	222408  

Last edited by vinrads; 12th Dec 2020 at 7:07 pm.
Old 12th Dec 2020, 6:48 pm   #2
vinrads
Dekatron

Default Re: GEC transistor radio restored

Some more pictures.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP0021.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	99.3 KB
ID:	222409   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP0028.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	138.3 KB
ID:	222410  
Old 12th Dec 2020, 7:48 pm   #3
Paul_RK
Dekatron

Super job on a great little set, especially the just about invisible Vynair repair. I've had a few of this model and its near relatives, haven't yet come across one that didn't work pretty well before getting any attention at all but with all those potential nasties replaced it should be ready for another sixty years now.

Is it a trick of the light or are the knob brights fitted convex? I think they've been concave on all the BC502s/505s I've seen.

Paul
Old 12th Dec 2020, 8:30 pm   #4
ronbryan
Octode

How did you manage to remove the tuning knob and the scale beneath it without damage? I know the two 'D' sections of the slow motion tuning cap shaft have to be turned to be in line before you can extract the scale, but the spring rings on both parts of the tuning knob can be very tight and the plastic (polystyrene?) can be very brittle.

Ron
Old 12th Dec 2020, 8:59 pm   #5

I have one of those, a bit worse than yours, works well with all original components. I even have the instruction manual.

Old 12th Dec 2020, 9:09 pm   #6
mark_in_manc
Octode

(It would be very cool to give it as a present with a photocopy of the instruction manual. Just like new!)
Old 12th Dec 2020, 9:17 pm   #7
Reelman
Octode

Great job Vinrads!
Must the be the only one of these sets I’ve ever seen that had two matching knobs!
Were the radios made in Coventry by any chance? I used to run the bank sub-office within the Stoke works, it was busier than many “proper” branches. Fond memories of the canteen and staff shop there...... sorry drifting off topic.

Peter
Old 12th Dec 2020, 9:37 pm   #8
vinrads
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_RK View Post
Super job on a great little set, especially the just about invisible Vynair repair. I've had a few of this model and its near relatives, haven't yet come across one that didn't work pretty well before getting any attention at all but with all those potential nasties replaced it should be ready for another sixty years now.

Is it a trick of the light or are the knob brights fitted convex? I think they've been concave on all the BC502s/505s I've seen.

Paul
Well spotted Paul you are correct ,there was one missing the one remaining was badly scratched , so I fitted the only ones I had which were convex , Mick.
Old 12th Dec 2020, 9:42 pm   #9
vinrads
Dekatron

Hi Rob I guess luck played a part ,when removing the knobs I was fearing the worst but two broad bladed screwdrivers did the trick. Mick
Old 12th Dec 2020, 9:46 pm   #10
Cobaltblue

This set rarely turns up in good condition so its always nice to see a nice restored example of this set.

Great job.

Cheers

Mike T
Old 12th Dec 2020, 10:34 pm   #11

Both my knobs have concave brights.

Old 13th Dec 2020, 8:10 am   #12
Kevin Hoyland
Heptode

Morning Mick.
Outstanding work as always and it looks so good.
Kev.
Closed Thread