UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 14th Sep 2018, 5:13 pm   #1
Umatic82
Retired Dormant Member

Default Sony U-Matic deck constantly tries to load tape.

Hi Everyone,

A friend of mine has recently acquired a Sony VO-5630 U-Matic deck. It worked fine for a few tapes, but has recently developed an issue.

The unit powers on perfectly, however when any tape is inserted, the tape starts to be pulled around the head, but then returns to the home position, then tries wrap around the head again. This happens constantly, until the eject button is pressed. The deck does not respond to any button, other than "eject" .

I've seen issues where the tape could not be pulled around the head due to gears needing lubricant, however we have oiled and greased the normal places and the mechanism seems to be running smoothly. There are no grinding or other sounds.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Many Thanks
Umatic82
Old 19th Sep 2018, 8:50 pm   #2
Retrotechie
Pentode

Default Re: Sony U-Matic deck constantly tries to load tape.

This fault sounds familiar.
Check that the reel drive belt hasn’t snapped.
Other than that, could be one of the opto sensors.
Old 22nd Sep 2018, 10:30 am   #3
dalekmoore2007
Pentode

I Have sony Umatic and it had a loading problem ended up being one of the mechanical switches ,mine would load then do nothing it ,i just had to turn the gear that loaded the tape it to eject the tape then it worked fine again must of just loaded and pushed the tape in a touch to far ,working fine since then .
Old 22nd Sep 2018, 11:02 am   #4
cheerfulcharlie
Heptode

If it happens when the lid is off but not when the lid is on, then it's just stray light affecting an opto sensor
Old 27th Sep 2018, 5:36 pm   #5
Umatic82
Retired Dormant Member

Thanks everyone for the responses, however tried all to no avail.

There does seem to be a sensor loose down towards the front of the tape path. The plastic around it broke and it wont stay in place, however putting it in any position doesn't seem to change anything, unless I just haven't found the right position yet.

Here is a clip of what it is doing. All belts and gears seems to be operating as normal. Also, the probably occured after playing a tape. As soon as it finished playing and rewound, this started happening.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qQ7hWlc6WXY

Thanks
Closed Thread