UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 1st Sep 2014, 9:26 am   #141
Philips210
Nonode

Default Re: Favourite Colour Televisions.

Hi.

They were the ITT sets fitted with the CVC25, CVC30, CVC32 modular chassis. The remote control was ultrasonic. Excellent sets, the main problem I had was tripler failure causing the power supply to trip. Sometimes, the tripler could ruin the LOPT but I think that was mainly on early versions.

A leaky line output transistor causing tripping cropped up on a few occasions as well. I used to disconnect the base and emitter leads and check for leakage after wasting time looking elsewhere for the problem.

Dry joints were common. The mains switch wiring was a safety issue and involved fitting jumper wires because of solder joint embrittlement.
The Pressac connector on the convergence tolerance board could arc around the line scan coil pins, again a safety issue.
Other common dry joints were of course in the line output stage and the decoder board had problems with it's soldering around the metal frame and earth lands causing all kinds of intermittent faults.

Despite all this, they were a great set for servicing and gave a very nice picture. The CVC30 and CVC32 were the 20AX versions using 26" and 22" tubes respectively. The CVC25 used an Hitachi 22" PIL tube, though I never came across one.

EDIT: Just to add, the service manuals were also excellent making servicing that much easier.

Regards
Symon.

Last edited by Philips210; 1st Sep 2014 at 9:38 am.
Old 1st Sep 2014, 12:52 pm   #142
Hybrid tellies
Nonode

Location: 1966-1976 Coverack in Cornwall and Helston Cornwall. 1976-present Bristol/Bath area.

I can remember tripler problems on these sets. Some of the early models also suffered from a sound sibilants fault. I seem to remember ITT having several attempts at clearing this fault with modification to the sound output stage and 6Mhz inter carrier sound IF.
But yes ITT's first all solid state sets were well liked by both engineers and customers.

Last edited by Hybrid tellies; 1st Sep 2014 at 12:57 pm.
Old 1st Sep 2014, 8:09 pm   #143
nigelr2000
Heptode

Ones I hated were those 'orrible AVS2000 heaps that fidelity made, hard wires that fell off, output chips that blew if you breathed too hard and a remote control system that did whatever it fancied in a random way, LOPT's with a life measured in months not to mention the sheer bulk of getting these brutes onto the bench to change them oh and the picture quality left a lot to be desired.
My favorites for picture quality were those little fat ITT portables that gave a really crisp picture. but were pretty heavy to lug about don't remember the chassis number
Old 1st Sep 2014, 9:23 pm   #144
FERNSEH
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by nigelr2000 View Post
My favorites for picture quality were those little fat ITT portables that gave a really crisp picture. but were pretty heavy to lug about don't remember the chassis number
I remember that portable, was it model CP3120? Or something like that.
Fantastic little set. Made about 1980. ITT made quite a number small screen portables. There was one which had a tiny chassis, something we thought was truly wonderful in 1979/80.

DFWB.
Old 1st Sep 2014, 9:32 pm   #145
hans
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by electronicskip View Post
I used to like the ITT Ideal colour tvs with the remote control that actually plugged into the TV itself,they used to be very popular when we used to rent them out at Rumbelows.
I think these Remotes were used on both German and British sets. I only saw a few British sets, and cant remember much about them. The German sets were good and easy to work on, but the 26" tubes from SEL were not the best.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welsh Anorak View Post
Perhaps a 'least favourite colour TVs' thread would be interesting. Anyone?
There would be no need for that. That would be the Sony 1810. Could anyone like this set?

When I first saw a 1820 I feared that it would be more of the same. Luckily it wasn't. The 1820 and other sets with the same chassis are my favorite Sony sets. That was fast improvement.
Old 2nd Sep 2014, 8:43 am   #146
Focus Diode
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by FERNSEH View Post
I remember that portable, was it model CP3120? Or something like that. Fantastic little set.
Very good sets indeed with excellent picture quality. We had one where I worked over 20 years ago, it developed an occasional loss of sound problem. It was sadly dumped soon afterwards.

Speaking of portables giving excellent picture quality I also rate the Philips/PYE KT3 from the early '80s. We've been using a white PYE version in the bedroom via a UHF modulator over the past few weeks with excellent results. I'll upload a couple of photos in due course.

Brian
Old 2nd Sep 2014, 9:35 am   #147
Philips210
Nonode

Hi

I also liked the ITT colour portables. Their 16" set from about 1978 gave excellent results. This set had the CVC40 chassis which was a smaller version of the CVC32. The CVC40 had a diode split transformer with screened EHT lead similar to the Philips G11. The programme selector switches could be tetchy but it was sometimes possible to clean them successfully.
The modular construction made them a joy to work on. The Philips KT2 and KT3 were of similar construction. Does anyone remember the Philips KT2?

One thing I remember about these sets, and many others from 1970's was the whistles and whines from the various wound components mainly in the line output stages. This I think is known as magnetostriction due to looseness of the core material in the coil. ISTR a cure was to use Resin W PVA as recommended by ITT. I was wary about using water based adhesives to do this and used Araldite instead. Happy days.

Regards
Symon.
Old 2nd Sep 2014, 9:55 am   #148
Philips210
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by hans View Post
[There would be no need for that. That would be the Sony 1810. Could anyone like this set?
Hi.

I think the Sony KV1810 fitted into the category of either love it or hate it.
When it was working, the picture quality was first rate but once those gate controlled switches (GCS devices) went short circuit then the real problems started. It wouldn't have been so bad if they weren't so expensive. A variac was essential when servicing these sets. Apart from the power supply hassle, not much else gave many problems.
I would say they were probably the most feared of all TVs.

Regards
Symon.
Old 2nd Sep 2014, 11:10 am   #149
FERNSEH
Dekatron

There's me always saying I didn't have any favourite colour sets from the old days and I've mentioned three already, the compact Baird 19" M712 console, the Pye CT70/71 and those ITT portables from the early eighties.
The ITT CVC40 was a brilliant design, it was reliable and I remember testing the set for it's power consumption, an impressive 40 watts at low brightness settings. That's pretty good by any standards. One of the last British made ITT sets as well. CVC40 chassis was made for 20" PIL tubes and the CVC45 for the 22" PIL tubes. The chassis even had the old style KB type and serial number label.

DFWB.
Old 2nd Sep 2014, 12:10 pm   #150
Philips210
Nonode

Back in early 1985, I built a TV using a CVC40 chassis from Sendz components. The chassis supports came from an old CVC30 set scrapped at Rediffusion. The 16" tube came from Chromavac. The cabinet was a challenge but I managed to achieve a presentable result. I used Formica to give a durable finish.

I made up the remote control system using the Mullard SAA5012 ic. Teletext was later added using a Mullard VM6101 board again from Sendz. I wonder if my home built CVC40 set was the only one to have teletext as I don't remember ITT offering text with this chassis fitted. One thing I do remember was they had a separate Viewdata system that was used with the CVC40. RGB data insertion being done in the video output stages.
Wish that I still had that set. Pin sharp picture as I remember.

Regards
Symon.
Old 2nd Sep 2014, 7:27 pm   #151
Focus Diode
Octode

As promised some pics of the Pye KT3 portable taken earlier. Remember that switch off spot (bit over exposed on the camera)?

A great set.

Cheers,

Brian
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	kt3 1.jpg
Views:	220
Size:	92.2 KB
ID:	97085   Click image for larger version

Name:	kt3 2.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	97.8 KB
ID:	97086   Click image for larger version

Name:	KT3 3.jpg
Views:	214
Size:	72.4 KB
ID:	97087   Click image for larger version

Name:	kt3 switch off.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	61.3 KB
ID:	97088  
Old 2nd Sep 2014, 8:08 pm   #152
hans
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philips210 View Post
Does anyone remember the Philips KT2?
They were a like a shrunk K11. They used many of the K9/11 modules. They were good sets, but they were rare.
Old 3rd Sep 2014, 12:11 am   #153
ben
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by electronicskip View Post
I used to like the ITT Ideal colour tvs with the remote control that actually plugged into the TV itself,they used to be very popular when we used to rent them out at Rumbelows.
I've got two of them! A 1922 and a 3620. Ultrasonic plug in remote catridge.
There was even a video game that could plug into that slot, pretty novel for the late 70s.
Not sure if they were widely available in Uk or not.

Attached a few scans of the manual. May jog a few memories.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ITT IDEAL COLOR 1922 u.jpg
Views:	265
Size:	57.0 KB
ID:	97100   Click image for larger version

Name:	itt game 1922 ideal color.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	80.4 KB
ID:	97101   Click image for larger version

Name:	itt 1922 ideal color remote.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	78.2 KB
ID:	97102  
Old 3rd Sep 2014, 12:15 am   #154
ben
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Focus Diode View Post
As promised some pics of the Pye KT3 portable taken earlier. Remember that switch off spot (bit over exposed on the camera)?
Soft spot for the KT3 here too.
I have a manual /mechanical version of that set, not long ago I came across the carcass of a remote version and am thinking about fitting the remote panel into the manual set. Anyone ever do that?
Old 3rd Sep 2014, 12:53 am   #155
Little-Freddie
Tetrode

Think it has been mentioned earlier in this thread, my favourite would have been the 'Funky 711,.... nice pop out convergence tray,. and the touch switch channel change,....nice slide out, swing down panels for engineer access, and pretty fair sound.....
My hates were the BRC2000 a local farmer had, (Palterton, near Chesterfield, J29, M1) which he wasn't going to update, for love nor money,.... and a couple of G6s,..... (one or two of the senior engineers had convinced this gullible 19 year old, (early 70's!!) that I would end up sterile if I visited more than 2 in a fortnight!!!!!
( No names, but step forward, Dave Pells, {G4DTP}, and Ray Evans, {G4AGE}, Baskills TV, )

Cheers, Fred {G8ZWI, G4ZWI}
Old 3rd Sep 2014, 7:44 am   #156
saxmaniac
Heptode

How about Tandberg CTV1 hybrid sets? Super picture, class A sound output with 2 tone controls, sounded superb. Good quality minor components. The usual problems were related to valves and heat causing dry joints on valve bases or resistors. The pain with them was a lack of AGC, the tuner carbon tracks were fine when new but needed to be perfect to keep stable tuning. We rented loads of them out and they make life easy for us
Old 3rd Sep 2014, 1:59 pm   #157
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben View Post
Soft spot for the KT3 here too.
And here. I had a 16" manual portable with "Property of Crest Hotels" branded into the side of it, found by a bin in Birmingham in the mid-1990s as a student. I was going on a romantic-ish evening out with a young lady, but it was too good an opportunity to miss, so I grabbed it and carted it around all night! There was a lot wrong with it (Tripler, LOP transistor and a handful of other smaller faults) but the picture was absolutely first rate when I'd repaired it, and remained so for many years until my parents chucked it.

Quote:
...I came across the carcass of a remote version and am thinking about fitting the remote panel into the manual set. Anyone ever do that?
Yes. At about the same time, I had a basic CTX-E with a good tube, a basic KT3 with an awful tube, and some spares I'd pulled off a skip. I ended up with a smashing remote-controlled KT3, but I do remember it being quite a lot of work.

N.
Old 7th Sep 2014, 10:51 am   #158
electronicskip
Nonode

Quote:
I've got two of them! A 1922 and a 3620. Ultrasonic plug in remote catridge.
There was even a video game that could plug into that slot, pretty novel for the late 70s. Not sure if they were widely available in Uk or not.
I'm very interested in the plug in game for this unit as I'm an avid collector of these types of things.

I never knew they even existed!
Now where can I possibly get one from?
Probably impossible now ,
Old 7th Sep 2014, 11:07 am   #159
ben
Dekatron

About ten years ago I saw a tatty one at a fleamarket, but they wanted 30€ for it so I left it. I think the seller probably imagined it was a standalone unit, not knowing that without one of those ITT sets it was useless!
Old 7th Sep 2014, 10:14 pm   #160
ntscuser
Hexode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuvistor View Post
It all changed for us with Hitachi and Toshiba, the first range were not that good on looks and picture quality but they soon sorted that out and UK sets under 22 inch did not stand a chance, good picture, put them out and forget them. Still they had own problems with larger sets when they started producing them.
A 22" Toshiba was the first set we had with decent colour, full remote, dedicated video socket (BNC) and 100% reliable operation.

Don't remember the model number but it had a walnut-finish cabinet and I would know it if I saw it again.

The only thing which let it down was the rather boomy audio.