UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 16th May 2008, 8:10 am   #121
Mike Phelan
Dekatron

Default Re: Missing Sets?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welsh Anorak View Post
Hi
I was never too keen on the K80 - IMHO it never matched the K70's performance - or looks, come to that.
Agree on that, Glyn!

Quote:
I agree Mike P's articles are a good cure for insomnia, Marcus! (Sorry Mike...)
Made me go to sleep writing them.
Quote:
Didn't know the Kuba was German - I always thought it had an Italian look about it.
Interesting - one of our trainers always said they were Italian, but I thought that might have been because of the "Florence" model; the Kuba colour portable which I think was covered by LLJ in Television, was German, also this supports that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey405 View Post
Hi Glyn.

I didn't know they ever sold the K9 in this country - I thought it was just a continental set. Well, you learn something new every day.
Granada imported them, Mike. I managed to get a manual for mine from one of their engineers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heatercathodeshort View Post
The Ferguson 500 series was one of my favourite sets. I have a super 516T complete with FM radio and a 'Flight' 546T. Worked on huge numbers during the 60's and early 70's. The 506T was one of the stylish sets of the period.
A couple of pics to bring a smile to your face Mike. Regards, John.
Oops - think I must have meant the 406
Like the Rendar Safeblocs, John, I still use mine!
Old 16th May 2008, 2:39 pm   #122
Welsh Anorak
Dekatron

Slightly OT, but I never fathomed how the K70's sound was so good. I salvaged a couple of speakers from scrap sets for my car and the results were disappointing. Then I had a K70 which had an audio burn-up and I substituted a solid state audio module. Again, sound OK but nothing special. They must have designed the speaker to work with the amp. What does MP, our resident K70 man say?
Glyn
Old 16th May 2008, 5:19 pm   #123
Mike Phelan
Dekatron

Don't really have an answer to that, Glyn, but it is indeed quite unbelievable sound quality; it must be a combination of the output stage design, cabinet and speakers.

If anyone else would care to comment, I will probably split these two posts to a new thread as it's probably worth archiving.
Old 16th May 2008, 7:39 pm   #124
BGmidsUK
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Phelan View Post
as it's probably worth archiving.
Not yet though, I hope! Fascinating thread. I have memories of a few sets, which if (when, hopefully) identified I'll add to the thread

BG
Old 16th May 2008, 8:33 pm   #125
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

The majority of sets using the PCL86 audio valve had very good sound quality. Add a decent speaker and the results were amazing. The PCL82 never seemed to produce the same quality. Continental sets always had quite elaborate output transformers to add to the enhancement.
Hello Mike, The 406T and its family were another great set. I have one but never restored it. The set is clean but I think its lacking a back hence the reluctance to deal with it!
Ferguson also produced a range of fringe models of very high quality, all hand wired and using the AW43-80 90 degree tube. The chassis were very similar with model numbers 305/315T, 405T. The specification was very advanced with high gain, gated AGC and flywheel sync. An even rarer one is the hand wired fringe version of the 506T the 505T.
I would very much like to obtain a version of any of these models but they were rare in their day and I would think almost impossible to find today.
Regards, John.
Old 18th May 2008, 11:22 am   #126
Tazman1966
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tazman1966 View Post
I found the picture of Marcus's TV that I was refering to earlier. I had saved it to my computer as I liked the look of this set. (Ducks for cover!)
Seeing as I mucked up the uplaoding of the picture of the HMV version of the 8000, here it is again.

https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...1&d=1211106103

Hopefully this worked!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	HMV%202.JPG
Views:	1030
Size:	75.0 KB
ID:	17260  

Last edited by Paul Stenning; 18th May 2008 at 12:00 pm.
Old 18th May 2008, 11:31 am   #127
Tazman1966
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by hans9001 View Post
I think the Tandberg ctv1 had three PL802s. These valves were often substituted with transistor copies.

Haven't seen a ctv1 in at least 10 years. I would like one if I could get one.
Here's a picture of one...

https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...1&d=1211106582

It's in Mike Bennett's amazing collection.

Hope that jogs the memory,
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Tandberg CTV1-90 October 2007 01-1.jpg
Views:	571
Size:	80.3 KB
ID:	17261  
Old 18th May 2008, 12:25 pm   #128
hans
Heptode

The picture on the ctv1 looks good.

Almost all sets sold here after 1970 with 22 and 26" tubes were 110 degree tubes. The ctv1 was unusual because it had a 90 degree tube. Were 90 degree tubes more common in the UK?
Old 18th May 2008, 9:11 pm   #129
Tazman1966
Nonode

Hello folks.

I was thinking about Thorn sets and the fact that there seem to be a few Ferguson/HMV/Marconiphone/Ultra badged ones kicking about but I haven't seen any pictures on here say of a Baird or DER variant.

Well the other day, one of my mates who is on Facebook knowing that I was mad about old televisions pointed me in the direction a couple of old photos that he posted on there of himself first in 1976 and then in 1982 with Baird badged Thorn 3000 with the mechanical tuner and Thorn 3500 with a varicap tuner and pilot light respectively. Does anyone still own any of these rental versions?

By the way don't panic, I got his permission to post them on here

Cheers,
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Med and Thorn 3000.jpg
Views:	286
Size:	77.9 KB
ID:	17279   Click image for larger version

Name:	Med and Thorn 3500.jpg
Views:	320
Size:	55.6 KB
ID:	17280  
Old 18th May 2008, 9:15 pm   #130
MALC SCOTT
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by hans9001 View Post
The picture on the ctv1 looks good.

Almost all sets sold here after 1970 with 22 and 26" tubes were 110 degree tubes. The ctv1 was unusual because it had a 90 degree tube. Were 90 degree tubes more common in the UK?
Hi, most UK ctv sets off the 1970,s were 90 deg.
Old 20th May 2008, 2:28 pm   #131
Welsh Anorak
Dekatron

Hello!
In the UK 110 degree tubes were reserved for the top-of the range sets as they could boast a more slimline cabinet. Usually there were imported from Europe, for example the Philips K80, B&O 3400, various Telefunkens and Grundigs and some smaller manufacturers' sets imported around 1973.
British sets with the 110 degree tube were the 26" Bush Z179, the Philips G9 and the Pye 731 series. In the last two cases, I suggest the similar 90-degree set (G8, 725) was superior in every respect. I think Pye were the only British pre-20AX set to use the 110-degree 22" CRT, though I could be wrong....
As I have said before, I always thought the 90-degree tube gave a more natural picture with better contrast - for example the B&O 3000 vs 3400 and the K70 vs K80, but I realise this is subjective!

On another matter, I stayed in a B&B the other night (no, I hadn't been kicked out!) and there was a Network colour portable in the room. This was pre-NEI, and was a sort-of-Toshiba set with simple search and store tuning.
Talking of Toshiba, how about the Perdio 20" sold by Colorvision? It had a (for want of a better word) bootlegged Toshiba chassis - similar circuit but components all over the place at odd angles to each other. This copying seemed to be a feature of that period - witness the Chinese Huyanu portable that was a carbon copy of the Hitachi CPT1471.

I think we have decided on this thread that there are some sets best forgotten and some sadly missed!

Glyn
Old 20th May 2008, 2:38 pm   #132
ScreenSaver
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welsh Anorak View Post
.... I think Pye were the only British pre-20AX set to use the 110-degree 22" CRT, though I could be wrong....
Just to be a pain, the (often overlooked ) Thorn 4000 was also available in 22" 110 degree delta
Old 20th May 2008, 5:30 pm   #133
Mikey405
Octode

I think the Bush CTV1322 also had a 22" 110-degree tube.
Old 21st May 2008, 12:25 am   #134
Michael Maurice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Phelan View Post
Don't really have an answer to that, Glyn, but it is indeed quite unbelievable sound quality; it must be a combination of the output stage design, cabinet and speakers.

If anyone else would care to comment, I will probably split these two posts to a new thread as it's probably worth archiving.

Slightly OT

If anyone has one of these sets, it would be worth doing a frequency response check, you may find that Philips tweaked the frequency response of the pre amp or even output stage to achieve the sound quality.
Old 9th Oct 2008, 5:33 pm   #135
toshiba tony
Heptode

great topic, what was the thorn 405 set with fm radio that had a set of piano keys on the top for channel selection, if two buttons jammed the motorised tuner would run forever.
ours was a cable set, but im sure they did a rf version as well, thanks,
toshiba tony
Closed Thread