UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 9th Mar 2008, 5:24 pm   #1
Steve_P
Dekatron

Default Missing Sets?

Tell you some other models that aren't around much these days...

Thorn 8800
Thorn 9000 - all models. The Cylops PSU seems to have vanished without trace!

Cheers,

Steve P
Old 9th Mar 2008, 6:51 pm   #2
murphyv310
Dekatron

Default Re: Missing Sets?

Hi.
How about the Murphy V510 from 1960 I haven't seen one since the early 70's, even the 410 has got very thin on the ground but there still is plenty of the older 310's about.
Trevor
Old 10th Mar 2008, 12:20 am   #3
FERNSEH
Dekatron

The BRC 9000 series were excellent receivers, introduced in late 1975 these Ferguson and Marconi sets displayed the very best pictures to be seen anywhere. The first UK set to employ the PIL CRT.

As for the 8800, who cares? Best forgotten. Even worse, the 9800 series.

Trevor. Yes, there seems to be plenty Murphy V310s about, but as for the much better V410, I have not seen one for years.

DFWB.
Old 10th Mar 2008, 8:41 am   #4
gec2110
Retired Dormant Member

the 9800 with it diode split transformer and the inerca start circuit
i liked the 9000 have not seen one for years the syclops circuit was a good one but the mazda tubes use to go quick probably the way it was driven
Old 10th Mar 2008, 9:01 am   #5
Mike Phelan
Dekatron

Philips G9 (fortunately!)
I agree with all said about the 8800 and 9800; an 8000 with ideas above its station. They won't be missed by me.

I always found the 9000 an excellent and reliable chassis, and fairly simple in terms of component count. The "ssshyump" noise on switch-on was unmistakable in a crowded shop!

Not many 9600s around either - they were good.

Wonder how many ITT-KB CVC2s there are left?
Old 10th Mar 2008, 9:29 am   #6
Studio263
Octode

Has anyone seen an ITT CVC20 recently? They aren't even mentioned much (if at all) on this forum so they must be scarce. The same goes for the CVC30 and 32, did the useless line transformers claim them all?
I can't quite beleive that all the 9000's are gone, we used to sell loads of those. The 9600 was always rather rarer, shame because it was a much better proposition than the 9000 (or the 9800, though didn't that use a diode-split LOPT that look like the one in the G11? Progressive stuff for BRC if it is true).
Something that I never saw much of even at the time was the GEC Starline. There seemed to be two sorts, a 20" one with a Hitachi tube (like the TX9) and a 22" one with a 20AX. I remember the big one as being particularly nicely styled with nice rounded corners, black trim around the front and neatly recessed thumbwheel controls. They all seemed to be a pleasant pale wood effect colour which made the mucky brown plastic BRC sets we had look a bit tacky, do any survive?
Old 10th Mar 2008, 11:49 am   #7
ScreenSaver
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Studio263 View Post
I can't quite beleive that all the 9000's are gone......
Well, there's at least one left! I acquired it fairly recently but, as some forum members will know, I had been actively looking for quite some time without even a hint of one turning up. So they certainly do appear to be thin on the ground.

It's a 20" Thorn Television Rentals Model 773 badged for the Multibroadcast chain. Ultrasonic remote control (sequential channel change & sound mute only) with nixie tube channel indication (nice!). I'll attach some pictures.

It was in a bit of a state as found, but has cleaned up a little and works well after some fairly minor repairs. Very luckily, it has a nice bright Thorn New-Life CRT. More cosmetic restoration will be required.

I also have a 22" 8800 in the form of one of those rather nice bevelled edge wooden HMV models. I like it, but, as the general consensus seems to be they're only good for fire wood, I'll keep that one to myself!

ScreenSaver
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	9K_Chassis_1.jpg
Views:	955
Size:	179.3 KB
ID:	15728   Click image for larger version

Name:	9K_Chassis_2.jpg
Views:	924
Size:	178.2 KB
ID:	15729   Click image for larger version

Name:	9k_ColourBars.jpg
Views:	892
Size:	90.4 KB
ID:	15730  

Last edited by ScreenSaver; 10th Mar 2008 at 11:56 am.
Old 10th Mar 2008, 12:03 pm   #8
Steve_P
Dekatron

Wonder if anyone's got a Finlux Peacock?

Is it me, or is the G8 a lot more common now than the G11?

Mikey405 has a CVC2 and I think so has System A.

Cheers,

Steve P.
Old 10th Mar 2008, 2:57 pm   #9
hans
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScreenSaver View Post
Well, there's at least one left! I acquired it fairly recently but, as some forum members will know, I had been actively looking for quite some time without even a hint of one turning up. So they certainly do appear to be thin on the ground.

It's a 20" Thorn Television Rentals Model 773 badged for the Multibroadcast chain. Ultrasonic remote control (sequential channel change & sound mute only) with nixie tube channel indication (nice!). I'll attach some pictures.
ScreenSaver
The only UK sets i can remeber were sold in Norway were the Thorn/Ferguson and Rank sets.

I worked on a couple of these (9000) in the beginning of the 90's. Haven't seen any since.

Did the 8800, 9600, 9800 look similar to the 9000?
Old 10th Mar 2008, 3:01 pm   #10
AnthonyG
Retired Dormant Member

I have recently unearthed a CVC 20 from the loft and it still works well. Needed a very thorough clean inside and out though - extremely dusty!

Its badged as 'Aristocrat', a non remote model from 1981-2.
Old 10th Mar 2008, 4:25 pm   #11
FERNSEH
Dekatron

In 1978 another version of the 9000 series appeared. The Mazda/RCA CRT was replaced by the Brtitish made Mullard A51-570X. About the same time the PCB artwork was done by CAD. The 9000 series got even better.
Mullards received a grant from the Goverment to make a 20" CRT in the UK. The aim was to reduce the amount of imported 20" CRTs.

The 9600 series was a brilliantly over engineered creation. Ferguson TV designers could always come up with clever ideas. The cleverest was the 2000 series.

DFWB.
Old 10th Mar 2008, 4:39 pm   #12
ppppenguin
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FERNSEH View Post
.... The cleverest was the 2000 series.
Although it was a daring step to make the world's first all transistor colour TV the actual design is really quite simple and conservative. Yes, it was pushing the technology to do the solid state LOP but that forced the designers to use separate EHT which in turn gave professional monitor grade performance in that area. The downside, apart from nasties like the edge connectors, was cost. It's difficult to see how they ever made a profit from the 2000.

At the opposite extreme are very clever though possibly misguided designs such as thyristor LOP, syclops and heaven knows what else to give the service guys a headache.
Old 10th Mar 2008, 6:02 pm   #13
Mike Phelan
Dekatron

And to get transferred from the "for Tritel" shelf to my car boot .....
Old 11th Mar 2008, 9:52 am   #14
Studio263
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by FERNSEH View Post
In 1978 another version of the 9000 series appeared. The Mazda/RCA CRT was replaced by the Brtitish made Mullard A51-570X. About the same time the PCB artwork was done by CAD. The 9000 series got even better.

DFWB.
I remember those, wern't they badged "Ferguson AX" on the flip-out panel at the bottom where the tuning wheels were?
There was also a "monitor-styled" version of this chassis with a quite comprehensive remote control unit that pushed into the front. Does anyone have a picture of this model?
Old 11th Mar 2008, 10:04 am   #15
Tazman1966
Nonode

Quote:
There was also a "monitor-styled" version of this chassis with a quite comprehensive remote control unit that pushed into the front. Does anyone have a picture of this model?
I work at two bus garages in London and at our Harrow Garage the engineers mess(very appropriate) room has one of these very sets (I think) still in action and on for most of the day everyday. I'll take a couple of pictures when I'm there later this week.
Old 11th Mar 2008, 11:43 am   #16
gec2110
Retired Dormant Member

there was a 9000 monitor style multibroadcast which looked very good
it came in white as well silver had a tint controll at the front and a tone control also search tuining with auto memory and a pocket to house the
remote control
the 9800 did have a diode split transformer like the G11 but with a delta gun tube it was a c**p set which had a bowed front cabinet

Last edited by gec2110; 11th Mar 2008 at 11:46 am. Reason: add a sentace
Old 11th Mar 2008, 12:48 pm   #17
FERNSEH
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by gec2110 View Post
the 9800 did have a diode split transformer like the G11 but with a delta gun tube it was a c**p set which had a bowed front cabinet
And it still used a thyristor in the power supply when all other manufactures had given up on that idea. A horrible set. Twenty-six inch models (3745)used a Canadian made CRT which failed very quickly.
Can't be any of these receivers still service.

DFWB.
Old 11th Mar 2008, 12:50 pm   #18
Studio263
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by gec2110 View Post
I remember the bow front, it was an odd piece of styling work as it made the picture look distorted even when it wasn't. It was a strange thing to do as the 8800 / 9800 were the only ones in the series with a transductor and therefore some degree of raster correction.

Wasn't the slightly nicer 9000 with the Philips tube and the search tuner called the 9200, or was that something else?
Old 11th Mar 2008, 2:35 pm   #19
ScreenSaver
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
Wasn't the slightly nicer 9000 with the Philips tube and the search tuner called the 9200, or was that something else?
I don't think so. My information says that the 9200 was an export version of a fairly straight 9000, but with UHF and VHF tuners (selectable for each button on the rear tuning pots), a nixie tube channel indicator, and was non-remote. Extra mains filtering was also incorporated to meet continental compliances. It also had 6 slider controls on the front for Volume, Brightness, Contrast, Colour, Tone and Tint (UK models had contast on rear and no tone or tint).

The 9300 was specifically for the Irish market and incorporated the twin tuners, but without the nixie. The other major 'feature' of this version was a modification to provide a customer adjustable vertical hold control. This was deemed necessary in the Irish market due to greater co-channel interference problems.

I think you've got to wait for the 9600 for sweep tune, but I could very easily be wrong (again!). I'm sure there were some 9400 variants.

I've got a set of the service manuals used by Thorn Television Rentals for the 9600 series, and it lists no fewer than 33 offered model variations. These cover chassis types 9570, 9600, 9600B, 9602, 9606, 9641, 9643, 9650, 9653, 9670, 9700...there's probably more but I'll stop there! Quite a few of these have twelve button tuning options, full remote, sweep tune and teletext. Many of these variations are for rental uses only - some are standard retail re-badges. Therfore this backs up the many recollections of features and variations associated with 9000 series sets!

Is it possible the bargain basement 9800 was the last UK sold set to use a Delta Gun CRT?

ScreenSaver

Last edited by ScreenSaver; 11th Mar 2008 at 2:41 pm.
Old 11th Mar 2008, 2:40 pm   #20
Welsh Anorak
Dekatron

I THINK it was designated the 9004 for some reason. How well did the A51-570 last? They didn't last in KT3s and Decca 80s, but did in KT4 and CTX chassis. I know there was a -580 in the TX9 which didn't do so well...
The cabinet on the poverty rental models was 'blotting paper' chipboard with a Fablon coating - a slightly damp workshop (yes, there is such a thing!) resulted in the finish peeling off and refusing to go back!
Glyn
Closed Thread