UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 26th Mar 2005, 12:22 pm   #1
Fizzingtelevision
Triode

Default Ekco TSC T113 15" pop up TV with radio 1948/49

HI folks
i have a 1948/49 Ekco model TSC T113 which has a 15 inch crt that is mounted on a hinged lid so that to view you have to pick the lid up. it also has a 4 station preset radio built in to the right hand side. The sides of the cabinet are very dark walnut or mahogany and the front is birds eye maple. The set is very nice and quite unusual but i cant find any refernce to it any where it's not in the bvws service data cd and i cant find it on the web. So i am hoping someone reading this might have an idea. i can send a pic to anyone who needs one. I am trying to find out if it was made to special order or wheather it was on general sale and also i am after the service data maybe even an original advert .
Regards
Grahame
Old 31st Mar 2005, 10:44 pm   #2
Danny
Heptode

Default Re: Ekco tsc t113 15" pop up tv with radio 1948/49

Hi
Wow what a set!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ekco front2.jpg
Views:	299
Size:	47.5 KB
ID:	414   Click image for larger version

Name:	ekco open2.jpg
Views:	315
Size:	48.2 KB
ID:	415   Click image for larger version

Name:	ekco side2.jpg
Views:	313
Size:	84.7 KB
ID:	416  

Last edited by Mike Phelan; 25th Jun 2007 at 8:16 am. Reason: Tidy-up for archive
Old 7th Jul 2005, 8:20 pm   #3
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

Hi. What a fantastic EKCO! It is a very rare model and would have been made in small quantities for hotels, clubs and the like. The chassis is indeed the TS105 series from 1949. Odd thing is the CRT being a CRM152. This is what was then known as a 'wide angle' tube and this was first used in the EKCO model of 1951 known as the T164. The extra transformer must be for the increase in eht but how the TS chassis scanned that tube is beyond me!
The TS105 chassis is a very strange one indeed using a mix of out of date valves for its time. Mullard valves were used in the radio section, a very strange move as EKCO were users of MAZDA valves and only appear to have used these in the TS series. The set is TRF tuned to LONDON only and the original aerial socket can be seen in one of your pics. This was originally the same as the car radio design and not the familiar co-ax as we know it. I want it!!!!! JOHN.
Old 11th Jul 2005, 9:43 pm   #4
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

Hi again,
David Boynes tells me his data sheet on the TSC113 gives the CRT type as the huge narrow angle CRM151. This would be more in keeping with the date of the set. This is a horendous tube made of thin glass similar to other Mazda tubes of the period. Great care is needed when handling this CRT and I would stongly suggest the use of gloves and goggles. David informs me that the eht is derived from the mains in a voltage doubler circuit using a pair of U22 valves to produce around 10kv required by the aluminised CRM151.
I am no 'health and safety freak' but do take the greatest of care when handling or rather not handling the power supply on this model. Its absolutely LETHAL and must be treated with great respect. Can you confirm the use of twin U22's? Another Ekco receiver, again a 15" model was released in 1953 using the familiar T161 style chassis but again using the twin U22 voltage doubler curcuit. If I recall the model number was TC155 and was the last model to use mains derived EHT. It was bizzar to do this. Ekco had used RF EHT from 1946/47 with the TS46 and flyback from 1949. Why they used this dagerous and expensive EHT system on these models is beyond me.
Your TS113 is a very interesting model. JOHN.
Old 11th Jul 2005, 11:09 pm   #5
peter_scott
Dekatron

I see it's listed in my little Ediswan-Mazda book..

https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...achmentid=1021
Closed Thread