UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 14th Jul 2019, 12:47 pm   #1
Richard_FM
Nonode

Default Panasonic TX-G10 no OSD

My latest edition to my collection is one of these 1990s 10 inch sets.

The picture looks nice & sharp, and there are a nice selection of AV inputs (scart / s-video & composite), but for some reason there is no on screen display of any kind.

On a set of this age it's essential for changing an major settings. Luckily the AV settings can be controlled by a button.

Also there's no remote control with it, but my universal one can be programmed to work the basic controls. The previous owner had used it with a digibox so probably hadn't noticed anything was wrong.

I don't know if it's a simple fix or not, but I've able to find the handbook & service manual online.

Any advice would be welcome.
Old 15th Jul 2019, 12:07 am   #2
John123
Heptode

Default Re: Panasonic TX-G10 no OSD

Perhaps the OSD can be turned off in the menus, although it would be a little odd not to have the usual volume/ channel indication etc.

The original remote for this model is part number: EUR511300 as noted in the operating instructions, available here - click on the green 'Download' button at the top of the page.
Old 15th Jul 2019, 11:06 pm   #3
Richard_FM
Nonode

It's bit odd to be able to turn the OSD off as it's then impossible to turn them on back on again.
Old 16th Jul 2019, 12:46 am   #4
G8KBG Tony
Pentode

Turning OSD on or off is not done under OSD conditions. You need to be able to access MENU (F).

If your universal remote can't access this function then perhaps, the useful advice given by John123 in post #2 might be worth another read.

Last edited by G8KBG Tony; 16th Jul 2019 at 12:59 am.
Old 16th Jul 2019, 1:10 pm   #5
Richard_FM
Nonode

Right it's hard to tell if the on screen menu it actually working or not, I didn't want to buy an actual remote control in case there's too many issues.

Another problem I've encountered is some black flickering horizontal lines on the screen after having it switched on for an hour during a soak test, along with it top of the case feeling hot.

After leaving it for 30 minutes it had cooled down & the picture was back to normal.

It might need cleaning out as it had been stored & might have accumulated some dust inside, so an interior cleaning session is needed.
Old 16th Jul 2019, 9:10 pm   #6
hamid_1
Heptode

I've just downloaded the instruction book. According to it, you can bring up the on-screen display without the remote control, by pressing the F button on the front of the set (next to the TV/AV button).

If the F button doesn't seem to work, see if you can display the Owner ID. How to do this is usually mentioned on the back of the set. Sometimes you have to press a button while switching on, or the owner ID is displayed automatically on screen for a few seconds after switching on. If the on-screen display generator is working, you should see "Owner ID" on the screen along with the name, house number and postcode of the TV's previous owner, if they bothered to store it.
Old 16th Jul 2019, 11:05 pm   #7
Richard_FM
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamid_1 View Post
I've just downloaded the instruction book. According to it, you can bring up the on-screen display without the remote control, by pressing the F button on the front of the set (next to the TV/AV button).

If the F button doesn't seem to work, see if you can display the Owner ID. How to do this is usually mentioned on the back of the set. Sometimes you have to press a button while switching on, or the owner ID is displayed automatically on screen for a few seconds after switching on. If the on-screen display generator is working, you should see "Owner ID" on the screen along with the name, house number and postcode of the TV's previous owner, if they bothered to store it.
OK thanks for the advice, F didn't seem to display anything when I tried it.

I didn't notice anything flash up when I first turned it on.
Old 7th Aug 2019, 10:18 am   #8
Richard_FM
Nonode

I've had another look at this, starting with a quick look inside. Hardly any dust inside or any other thing amiss.

Again no OSD in spite of trying all the controls.

After another soak test it was running hot & with the black horizontal lines on the screen as before.