UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 25th Nov 2016, 12:26 pm   #21
paulsherwin

Default Re: The Crown on Netflix

Oh yes, a very classy job.
Old 26th Nov 2019, 10:43 pm   #22
Andy Green
Hexode

Default The Crown on Netflix - reprise

Watching the latest series of 'The Crown' on Netflix, plenty of vintage TV, with very impressive post production TV pictures displayed.

However, many are actually B&W sets displaying a colour picture, I wonder why, since they seem to have gone to a lot of trouble to make things as authentic as possible?
Old 26th Nov 2019, 11:36 pm   #23
slidertogrid
Octode

I mentioned My dealings with the Netflix props buyer in this thread
https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...=96824&page=17
Post 326.
I found the people I dealt with to be very keen to get things right . There has been a bit of a drift on the latest series but I think this is permissible as most viewers wouldn't notice. The sets I provided were unrestored and do appear working in the programme so I guess they were simulated pictures.

The props buyer told me they prefer to buy the props where possible rather than hire them. She assured me they would either be kept for the future productions or sold when they were finished with them as I expressed a little concern about their fate once the filming had been completed...
By all accounts they had been all over the country picking up various furniture and equipment it seems they had gone to a lot of trouble to be authentic.
Old 27th Nov 2019, 2:40 pm   #24
Panrock
Nonode

Default Re: The Crown on Netflix - reprise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Green View Post
Watching the latest series of 'The Crown' on Netflix, plenty of vintage TV, with very impressive post production TV pictures displayed.
I was watching last night. Did I even spot realistic less-than-perfect convergence on one of the '60s colour sets shown?

Steve
Old 30th Nov 2019, 4:16 pm   #25
Aub
Nonode

I'm watching the latest series. One episode shows the Royal Family watching themselves in a TV documentary, in 1967. They are watching it in colour. I thought broadcasts were only black and white then?

Cheers

Aub
Old 30th Nov 2019, 5:25 pm   #26
dazzlevision
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aub View Post
I'm watching the latest series. One episode shows the Royal Family watching themselves in a TV documentary, in 1967. They are watching it in colour. I thought broadcasts were only black and white then?

Cheers

Aub
BBC2 began colour broadcasts in 1967, starting with the Wimbledon tennis championships. ITV and BBC1 began colour on 15th November 1969, when they changed over to 625 lines Pal colour on UHF.
Old 30th Nov 2019, 5:32 pm   #27
paulsherwin

Were they supposedly watching Royal Family? That went out in 1969.
Old 30th Nov 2019, 11:21 pm   #28
Aub
Nonode

It said 1967 at the start of the episode, but it must have jumped ahead as, I would imagine, the documentary would have been shown on BBC 1, to reach more viewers. The royals were, according to the story, trying to appeal more to the general public. It didn't say what the documentary was called.

Cheers

Aub
Old 30th Nov 2019, 11:39 pm   #29
julie_m
Dekatron

It's also conceivable that something really important might have been simulcast on BBC2 to show what the 625 line colour service was capable of, and on BBC1 to reach as many viewers as possible including those with only 405 line sets.
Old 1st Dec 2019, 12:34 pm   #30
paulsherwin

It may have been just a bit of dramatic licence. The Wikipedia article claims it went out in the summer of 69 on BBC1 and ITV, being a co-production. That was a few months before the launch of colour on those channels. It may well have been re-shown on BBC2, or on BBC1/ITV after colour started, but I can't remember. I think it was shot on 16mm colour film.

The general consensus seems to have been that it was a bit of an embarrassment and a PR mistake, and it hasn't been shown on UK TV since 1972.
Closed Thread