UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 21st Nov 2019, 9:39 am   #1
Atmosferit
Triode

Default Brionvega Algol BV1 "contact" issue

I found a Brionvega Algol BV1 last week, one of the "modern" versions of the 1960's original, with SCART, OSD menus, etc.

The TV is working, I get "snow" when it's on normal TV channel, and I get some displayable signal on SCART... except there seem to be an issue with a contact somewhere, because just barely touching anything on the back of the tv (with the finger, or when plugging or unplugging a cable) makes the TV display blank, and the red "stand by" light to appear.

I made a short video showing the issue:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=KgpHE6qLIHc

Does anyone has an idea of what could cause that, and if that looks like something that can be fixed easily?

I really like this TV, it fits perfectly the computer!

Bonus question: Assuming the TV can be fixed, is there a way to center the display, it looks like the computer display area is too much on the left.

Thanks in advance!
Old 21st Nov 2019, 11:22 am   #2
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

Default Re: Brionvega Algol BV1 "contact" issue

Have you checked the soldering to the pins of the scart socket? These often become disconnected especially if the connector lead is removed and replaced often. John.
Old 21st Nov 2019, 11:50 am   #3
Atmosferit
Triode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heatercathodeshort View Post
Have you checked the soldering to the pins of the scart socket? These often become disconnected especially if the connector lead is removed and replaced often. John.
I've not checked anything at this moment: The seller told me he would agree to cancel the transaction, but only if I did not try to open anything.

From purely an outside examination, it seems that pressing any of the connectors from the back, including the antenna, RCA/Cinch, etc... does the same thing, it almost look like if that was somewhat moving the entire circuit board and get it to disconnect something.

The fact that the standby light stays on kind of mean that the power is still on, so I was wondering if that could not be an issue with the connection between the main board and the "highpower" transformer (or whatever it's called, the thing that powers the tube/canon) which could be damaged/lose.

Basically, before attempting to opening, I wanted to have some opinion from people who know this brand, and if generally speaking they are repairable (I was able to find schematics for the very old model, but not for that one).

I've repaired simple things like tape drives and portable radios, but I've never worked on anything involving a CRT or potentially dangerous power, so I'm being cautious there
Old 21st Nov 2019, 12:49 pm   #4
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

I am not familiar with this particular brand but your fault could be with literally any brand of TV.
You cannot discover what is wrong with it if you can't open it! If you don't feel you are competent enough electronic wise there is not a lot you can do other than return it, that is unless you are prepared to take a chance and check it internally. Regards, John.
Old 21st Nov 2019, 1:16 pm   #5
unitaudio
Heptode

I can see why you want to use the TV with that computer, they match each other beautifully! I think the fault is probably due to dry solder joints on the SCART socket or something on the same board.

Myself I'd try re-flowing all the solder joints on the SCART board.

Regards,
Paul
Old 21st Nov 2019, 5:54 pm   #6
Atmosferit
Triode

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitaudio View Post
I think the fault is probably due to dry solder joints on the SCART socket or something on the same board.

Myself I'd try re-flowing all the solder joints on the SCART board.
Like for example go through all the scart pins, remove the old solder and put some new one? Or just "warm" the existing solder?

(Or did you literally mean "remove the board and put it in a re-flow bath")?
Old 21st Nov 2019, 6:53 pm   #7
Maarten
Dekatron

If the set indeed switches to standby mode, it probably isn't something around the SCART socket.

@TS: if you got a good deal on the set, it might be worth to have someone (maybe from the forum) look at it instead of getting a refund. I'm 99.9% sure it will be repairable, and 80% sure it's relatively easy.
Old 21st Nov 2019, 7:34 pm   #8
Atmosferit
Triode

@maarten: Considering the external appearance (lack of scratches and other obvious body issues), I got it at about half the price (delivered in hand) of some equivalent models I saw on either ebay or some websites that sell "vintage items". Assuming it is fixable, that was a very good price, and since I'm restricted to norway anyway, anything else would have to come from some other country, and CRTs in the post look like the kind of thing I'd like to avoid.

Could just be something like what unitaudio said on a connection lead (weak connection, bad solder, ...) after all it was a portable TV with a handle, so it may have been moved around from room to room, etc...

I guess an easy first step would be to just open it, and see if it's possible to unscrew some of the parts to see if everything is connected solidly together.

I guess I could try to see if anyone on the forum is in the Oslo area, I can deal with a 80% odds or "easy to repair"
Old 21st Nov 2019, 8:53 pm   #9
AC/HL
Dekatron

PM sent
Old 22nd Nov 2019, 1:26 pm   #10
Maarten
Dekatron

I hadn't seen you're from Norway but I think forum member Hans9001 (or similar name) is also from there.
Old 22nd Nov 2019, 5:57 pm   #11
Atmosferit
Triode

@maarten: I've been given the information yesterday in a private message, but thanks for the information as well

Since every person who saw the TV (in photo or on the video) thought either that it was awesome looking and a perfect match for the computer, or that it was most probably very repairable, I decided to keep it and get it fixed on way or another.

I wish I could find a copy of the service manual or the schematics, I tried contacting the company who currently owns the brand (apparently it's been through multiple owners) but so far no answer.
Old 25th Nov 2019, 10:02 pm   #12
Atmosferit
Triode

The TV is repaired and working well.

The issue was actually that the main board was slightly bent, and the shielding of the tv tuner was almost in contact with some elements on the main board.. and actually touched when the case was moved.

I took many photos, if people are interested, not sure how it's generally done, I could put them all in a big zip on my site, I can also make a blog post describing how to open the case, and the various parts, and highlight was the problem was, that could be eventually used as a reference if needed
Old 25th Nov 2019, 10:25 pm   #13
Red to black
Nonode

Yes, I would be interested to see the photos
Be interested to see the chassis too
Old 26th Nov 2019, 10:04 pm   #14
Atmosferit
Triode

Ok, the photos are at the end of the article, you can click on them to see them in fullscreen in a new tab:

http://blog.defence-force.org/index....cles&ref=ART64

It's my own blog, so you can skip the introduction, it's mostly for non technical people who are not necessarily technician, and apologies for any misformulation or bad choice of words to describe things, I'm not quite a TV expert, if there's anything wrong or missing, just signal them and I will fix.
Old 26th Nov 2019, 10:41 pm   #15
Red to black
Nonode

Thanks

Although the heavily customised panel layouts to suit the shape of the set the chassis itself still resembles Seleco/Formenti chassis in style even though their former owner had since sold the Brand on by the time this set was made, and it had possibly changed hands twice.

The ribbon connectors, lopt etc. and chassis style still resembles a family likeness to some of the larger Formenti made sets that were sold here in the uk during the late 90's early 2000's ie. a few Goodmans and the odd Bush branded set, I think there was also a few 16:9 models branded Schneider too.

Thanks for the interesting write up on your blog too
Old 27th Nov 2019, 1:22 am   #16
hans
Heptode

It looks like the solder connections on the LOPT cracking.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	brion.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	44.1 KB
ID:	194438  
Old 27th Nov 2019, 2:59 am   #17
Maarten
Dekatron

Good to hear it was indeed an easy fix! Nice pictures! Thanks
Old 27th Nov 2019, 7:57 am   #18
Atmosferit
Triode

Quote:
Originally Posted by hans View Post
It looks like the solder connections on the LOPT cracking.
At least it's a part that is trivial to access without having to reopen everything.

What would you suggest: Suck the existing solder out and resolder with some new solder each of the pins?
Closed Thread