UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 2nd Mar 2021, 12:24 pm   #1
nigelr2000
Heptode

Default Sony EV-S550 8mm VCR service diagrams

I have one of these what were really expensive when new 8mm full size video recorders, I aquired it in about 1999 really cheaply (for the time). It boasted Nicam Hi Fi sound and was designed to be used as a normal VCR with timers and tuner but I mainly used it for viewing camcorder tapes.

I tried to use it about 15 years ago and a tape jammed and would neither eject or load. I had a quick look but with no manual I had to leave it in case a fudged something in the extremely complex and small mechanism. Fast forward to now and I find myself without an 8mm to copy my tapes to DVD so thought I would have a look at it.

I removed the deck, unplugged the loading and eject carriage motors and powered them from an external supply allowing me to remove the tape even though the mech was part loaded. This showed what was an extremely easy to cure fault. The load arm that yanks the tape out and takes it to the pinch roller has jumped of it's pin and ended up the wrong side of the load arm. With that sorted I stupidly plugged it in. There was a nasty fizzing noise from the PSU so out it came. Inside I found a whole load of the leakiest caps I have ever seen. They had leaked all over the board and dripped out the bottom of the supply screening covers.

So after changing all the caps and cleaning the board I plugged in to get an impressive fireworks display between 2 tracks on the input side. It had arced over between 2 really close tracks and carbonised the board. Well there was a nice big PCB land off the track so I drilled another hole for the resistor that was in the arced over hole, relocated it, cleaned the board and drilled out the carbonised hole. I then plugged it in and was rewarded with a clock and the mech shuffled into position. Great I thought. Unplugged it. popped the supply back into position then plugged in again. ****** nothing but the 2 leds over the standby button and sod all else. Now the problem. There is a downloadable manual but it has a completely different power supply so none of the plugs match up so I am unable to see what supplies are where.
A search using the power supply number just found lots of posts from other people also looking for this power supply circuit (PS196).
So that's it then without more info I am stuck.

Pictures here in case it jogs anyone's memory as to what could be wrong or even a manual.

******************************PYVfC384Mpw3oABb6

Nigel
Closed Thread