UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 28th Mar 2023, 11:05 pm   #1
Doghouse Riley
No Longer a Member

Default Play it Again Sam

Humphrey Bogart made about forty-seven films. Some memorable, some not so.
Among the best was Casablanca, where he played Rick, the owner of Rick's bar.
Where he hears Dooly Wilson sing, “As Time Goes By” (the jury's out, as to whether it was he who actually played the piano).

Among the “not so,” one might say, is this, perhaps someone had a, “Play it again Sam,” moment, maybe Bogart himself, as he is listed as co-producer, with a totally different production team.

Tokyo Joe.

In 1949, he played, Joe, the owner of "Tokyo Joe's bar," where on his return to Japan after the war, he hears, “These FoolishThings,” played on a phonograph in the bar's apartment, sung by his presumed dead wife, played by Florence Marly (she sang it).

Sounding familiar?

This film was recently shown on TV and as an admirer of Bogart, I found it embarrassing.

But I discovered from where this photograph I've had for a few decades came. I've always been curious as to the make of the machine. It's obviously a real phonograph and not a prop, as later in the film you see him play the same record on it.
Anyone have any ideas?

[img]********************X5rtF4J/Record-Man-Humphrey-Bogart-zps2403a27b.jpg[/img]
Old 28th Mar 2023, 11:20 pm   #2
Ted Kendall
Dekatron

Default Re: Play it Again Sam

Intriguing - it's acoustic, having a soundbox, and it is aligned for hill and dale rather than lateral cut. Two concerns made vertical cut discs for the domestic market - Edison and Pathe, both had abandoned them by 1930, and the disc doesn't look like either. The arm has the same diameter as the soundbox diaphragm, so there is no amplification effect. In short, I think it's a prop, a practical one in the sense that the record goes round and the pickup stays in the groove, but the rest is from the set designer's imagination.

As regards Casablanca, I recall the comment made when a domestic recorder over-performed - "a series of variations from the mediocre norm resulted in that subtle fault - perfection."
Old 28th Mar 2023, 11:42 pm   #3
Doghouse Riley
No Longer a Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Kendall View Post
Intriguing - it's acoustic, having a soundbox, and it is aligned for hill and dale rather than lateral cut. Two concerns made vertical cut discs for the domestic market - Edison and Pathe, both had abandoned them by 1930, and the disc doesn't look like either. The arm has the same diameter as the soundbox diaphragm, so there is no amplification effect. In short, I think it's a prop, a practical one in the sense that the record goes round and the pickup stays in the groove, but the rest is from the set designer's imagination.

As regards Casablanca, I recall the comment made when a domestic recorder over-performed - "a series of variations from the mediocre norm resulted in that subtle fault - perfection."
I suspected it was a prop, but they went to a lot of trouble to make it, if it were one.

This one always amuses me, a phonograph with a mica diaphragm and a sound box, that can play a track on a LP. The system has switchable extension speakers outside. It's from my favourite Christmas Film.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QGaZM1smU3M
Old 29th Mar 2023, 4:20 pm   #4
PaulR
Dekatron

I wonder why they didn't just use a normal player. There must have been plenty around at the time.

Of course he never said "Play it again Sam"
Old 29th Mar 2023, 7:27 pm   #5
dave walsh
Dekatron

Location: Ramsbottom (Nr Bury) Lancs or Bexhill (Nr Hastings) Sussex.

I suppose it's possible the "prop" person didn't know what it was. The same thing happens to this day! Whatever the merits of the film, it's well known that the Companies have often tried to repeat the same formula which can work but often doesn't It's a great photograph though, whatever the explanation. Thanks for bringing it to our attention Doghouse

Dave W
Closed Thread