UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 19th Mar 2023, 2:22 pm   #1
Chris55000
Nonode

Default Label Printer with True Type font Support?

Can anyone recommend a labelling machine kit with easy–to–use software and True Type Font support so I can make UNO Stencil Labels for our Component Drawers at home?

Chris Williams
Old 19th Mar 2023, 4:55 pm   #2
Stuart R
Heptode

Default Re: Label Printer with True Type font Support?

We have a pile of hand-held labelling machines at work, with built-in keyboards. Some not QWERTY, which really slows me down! Usually throw the first print attempt away as it looks nothing like you hoped for!

Best thing we did was buy a Brother P-Touch P700, it's a desk-top printer that plugs into your computer's USB. Simple software (Brother P-touch Editor) for MAC or PC that can be downloaded from Brother and it appears to me that all my regular computer fonts are listed - does that make it True-Type? It appears you can insert graphics from clip-art or external files, but I've only ever printed text.

Accurate previews and no guessing. As usual, the label cartridges are pricey.

Regards,

SR
Old 19th Mar 2023, 5:16 pm   #3
Jimbo
Pentode

Like Stuart R, I have been using a Brother P-Touch labelling machine for a while, and while it is not really suitable for 'Front Panel' quality labelling it is certainly excellent for component drawers, lever arch file spine labels, and many other applications.

I have a very simple machine, the P-Touch 1230PC which was a find 'In the middle at Lidl' a few years ago and at that time it was about £25.00. The software that is available allows for very simple labelling tasks, [P-Touch Lite], but if the full blown P-Touch Editor software is used, many true type fonts are available together with other facilities such as two-line or vertical text, plus simple 'emoji' type images and a library of standard applications such as CD jewel case labelling.

Updated versions of machines with comparable features appear to be widely available at not much more than I paid.

It is worth researching the details of different machines before you buy. At the lower end of the market some machines will only take the narrowest tape width, but the better machines can accommodate tape cartridges for the 6mm, 9mm and 12mm widths.

Hope this helps

Jim M0GJD
Old 19th Mar 2023, 5:19 pm   #4
wave solder
Hexode

I use an old Brother PT-2420PC and according to the sales info. it does enable you to use TrueType fonts with the Ptouch Editing software.

https://docs.rs-online.com/5249/0900766b801507d1.pdf

I use 3rd party label cartridges from Amazon with no problems that are significantly cheaper than the OEM ones.
Old 19th Mar 2023, 11:33 pm   #5
dglcomp
Heptode

Brother P-Touch D700 user here, nice machine, can be used without a PC and can print on up to 24mm labels so will do their printable heat shrink. Auto cuts the tape so great for doing multiple copies or running from a mail merge.

As others have said the compatible tape is fine and a lot cheaper than the genuine stuff.
Text will not be laser quality as the resolution is relatively low, but in reality it's not an issue.

If you need something cheaper go for one of the PC only machines, interestingly for basic label making no installation is required if the machine is set to editor lite mode, it just appears as an external storage drive and the basic software is in the machine and runs directly from it with no installation.
Closed Thread