UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 2nd Mar 2023, 11:07 am   #61
Richardgr
Heptode

Default Re: Demise of the TV aerial.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamid_1 View Post
... Even better, there's no need to pay for a TV licence as long as you don't stream a programme while it's being broadcast and you don't use BBC iPlayer at any time. More and more people are discovering this loophole.
Is that really the case in the UK? Surely owning a device capable of receiving a program is all that is required to be eligible for the licence fee?

You mentioned Switzerland. I was in an AirBnB there for 15 months until last year, and was horrified when I got my TV licence demand - around £350 a year and I never watched TV once! It had been more than twice that a few years before. But that is for another thread ...
Old 2nd Mar 2023, 11:45 am   #62
Dave Moll
Dekatron

In the UK you only require a licence if you use a service, though it seems the onus on you is to prove you don't if you have the capability to do so!
Old 2nd Mar 2023, 12:12 pm   #63
Aub
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electronpusher0 View Post
The one thing we no longer use is the HDD recorder.

Peter
That's something we couldn't do without to avoid sitting through adverts while not having to pay to get rid of them.

Aub
Old 2nd Mar 2023, 12:26 pm   #64
Station X

No more discussion about the TV Licence fee please.

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 2nd Mar 2023, 1:31 pm   #65
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

I have seen some of the 'fake chimneys' in the local builders' merchants; they are entirely cosmetic [intended so a new-build fits in with the existing vernacular architecture]; no way would I go fitting a satellite-dish, or a mitre-clamp/strapping-wire, 10-foot mast and a pair of UHF/FM-band antennas to one, though I suspect it's been done by cowboy antenna-riggers in the past...

On this morning's dog-walk I spent some time looking skywards, and yes there are a significant number of obviously-disused antennas on show - some tilting at crazy angles due to failed chimney-brackets/lashing-wires, some with the coax dangling freely in the breeze, 1980s 'contract' types with the stamped-aluminium reflector missing, and several FM types where the folded dipole has come detached from the boom and tipped so it's now almost vertical, or some of the directors missing.

You just don't see shiny new TV antennas any more.
Old 2nd Mar 2023, 2:10 pm   #66
turretslug
Dekatron

I was slightly gobsmacked when I saw a row of fibreglass(?) fake chimneys strapped to pallets among the general materiel at a site where a row of new houses were being put up- I suppose that it's in better taste than the much-maligned stone cladding of a few decades back but I've never been a fan of pretentious fakery generally.

Still, looking on the bright side, one could hide a variety of aerial types (active HF whip, MF/LF loop, various VHF and up types....?) within such a structure, making good use of the height without too much muttering from the neighbours. I wonder if any of these "chimneys" are characterised for low RF loss, in the manner of radome material!
Old 2nd Mar 2023, 3:10 pm   #67
DrStrangelove
Banned

Around here most of the "new" "digital" aerials seem to be comparatively tiny log periodic types with elements barely thicker than wire.

My father used to relate the story from the early to mid 50s, just after Wenvoe had opened, of him installing a double H channel 5 aerial on top of a 70 foot pole made of steel pipes from the local colliery (remember them? there were a lot around here) for one of the big shots who was rich enough to buy a tv.

Direction was achieved by a chap with a large stilson rotating the entire pole assembly until they got a decent signal.
Old 2nd Mar 2023, 6:09 pm   #68
newlite4
Octode

I had to replace my outdoor kitchen TV aerial a few years ago, the one I fitted 31 years ago dated from the '60s! so was old when it went up. I replaced it with a new 18 element group C/D aerial from the car boot which was OK, but I got better results replacing this a few months ago with a new group K aerial from Screwfix. Mendip mast went over to group K in June 2019.
This improvement came in handy in January when the aerial on the roof that feeds the TV in the front room fell apart. I decided to install a Labgear 4way amp and run a co-ax cable from the kitchen across the flat to the front room TV. Results are very good except in strong wind and rain when the trees in the park opposite blow around or are wet.
I plan to carry out an aerial "cull" on the roof during the summer. Six of the ten that are up there are no longer connected since they have met the same demise as my existing one. I can then replace any defective ones as required.
Neil
Old 2nd Mar 2023, 7:42 pm   #69
HamishBoxer
Dekatron

ITV on CH7 was Belmont that used at one time to relay Anglia tv?
Old 2nd Mar 2023, 8:22 pm   #70
CambridgeWorks
Nonode

Correct Hamish. In the early days, the link was from Norwich/Mendlesham or wherever. North to Massingham, then Hameringham then Belmont. This provided for a while Anglia tv but on Lincs/Yorks coverage areas via Belmont.
When it was discontinued, a gentleman I first met at Pye Cambridge in 1968, (when he was working for the Home Office) named Colin Jamieson. He bought both these sites and tidied them up then developed them as commercial comm. Sites for pmr use.
I occasionally meet him at radio rallies locally.
Rob
Old 2nd Mar 2023, 8:54 pm   #71
duncanlowe
Nonode

The demise of already fitted aerials these days isn't helped by the lack of attention to UV proof plastics. Two neighbours have Televes aerials that the plastic has started to fall off. So far no bits of aluminium. One neighbour has already said they don't actually use it and plan to remove it.

From that conversation, is an interesting point. Birds. They like sitting on them, and doing what birds do. Our side path is constantly mucky. Given we watch most stuff via the dish, it's tempting to get it gone. Our next door neighbour has already said theirs is going for the same reason, but for now it's still there if falling apart.
Old 3rd Mar 2023, 8:42 pm   #72
Jon_G4MDC
Nonode

Ah yes Colin Jamieson. Is he still around?
Old 4th Mar 2023, 1:38 pm   #73
CambridgeWorks
Nonode

Hi Jon, I last met him at a rally (Spalding?) pre-covid. He lives down Norwich way I think.
I don't know if he was still involved in the comms business though.
I only went to the Northern "hop" mast site of the Belmont to Norwich link, at Hameringham.
He restored it from an almost derelict building to one of a high standard.
You even wiped your feet on the mat when entering!
Rob
Old 4th Mar 2023, 7:50 pm   #74
Jon_G4MDC
Nonode

Good to know that. He was a frequent visitor where I worked and it was always nice to see him.

More on topic there are very many scrap aerials on the rooftops around here. Most of those massive plastic and aluminium multi boom contraptions that people were convinced to buy because of Digital TV have fallen apart. No or else half backscreens and the lashing kit has probably given up because of the weight and its looking at the ground.

The local installers are installing log periodics for anyone who wants Terrestrial these days. Over an obstructed path at 26 miles from Crystal Palace they must work by the skin of their teeth in flat conditions. When things perk up they should be blocked by crud from everything which is co-channel with CP.

That was the original selling point of the multi boom jobs with huge backscreens. Oh and you needed foil under the co-ax braid otherwise it just wouldn't work... More snake oil.

When CB went from AM to FM only a black DV27 was said to be suitable.
Old 7th Mar 2023, 10:48 am   #75
Hybrid tellies
Nonode

Location: 1966-1976 Coverack in Cornwall and Helston Cornwall. 1976-present Bristol/Bath area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by newlite4 View Post
I had to replace my outdoor kitchen TV aerial a few years ago, the one I fitted 31 years ago dated from the '60s! so was old when it went up. I replaced it with a new 18 element group C/D aerial from the car boot which was OK, but I got better results replacing this a few months ago with a new group K aerial from Screwfix. Mendip mast went over to group K in June 2019.
This improvement came in handy in January when the aerial on the roof that feeds the TV in the front room fell apart. I decided to install a Labgear 4way amp and run a co-ax cable from the kitchen across the flat to the front room TV. Results are very good except in strong wind and rain when the trees in the park opposite blow around or are wet.
I plan to carry out an aerial "cull" on the roof during the summer. Six of the ten that are up there are no longer connected since they have met the same demise as my existing one. I can then replace any defective ones as required.
Neil
You are doing well to get Mendip where you are. I am still using our rooftop grp C/D aerial for Mendip and I think the aerial is at least 40 years old. When Mendip changed to grp K channels we started to get break up and loss of signal in windy wet weather due to a rather large fir tree a few gardens away. Since most of this has been cut down reception has improved. I know I will have to replace the aerial with a newer grp K aerial sometime but its quite satisfying to use such an old vintage TV aerial especially as it works well most of the time.
Like you I have fitted a 4 way distribution amp in the loft feeding various points around the house including the main TV in the lounge and my workshop where my real tellies live.

As more people are switching away from cable, satellite and terrestrial to on line services we will all sadly see the demise or thinning out of TV aerials from our skylines.
Old 10th Mar 2023, 4:54 pm   #76
Graham G3ZVT
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon_G4MDC View Post

When CB went from AM to FM only a black DV27 was said to be suitable.
Those that said it could probably have justified the claim, as the 27/81 band extended to almost 28MHz, but I'll go with the snake oil theory nonetheless
Old 10th Mar 2023, 5:04 pm   #77
Jon_G4MDC
Nonode

It's true that for use on the FM end of 10m the threaded bit could be pretty much thrown away!
Old 10th Mar 2023, 8:50 pm   #78
newlite4
Octode

I tend to agree with you Simon regards signal break up problems with group K aerials, they do appear to be more vulnerable. Fortunately I had a letter from planning today to say that my neighbour is planning to fell the large sycamore tree next door. This is directly in line with the aerial so I have no objections. Here's hoping for better reception.
Neil
Old 10th Mar 2023, 11:45 pm   #79
Rhgbristol
Triode

Quote:
Originally Posted by dglcomp View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathovisor View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevehertz View Post
Oh? I (and millions of others) always thought that there was such a thing as a digital aerial - at least, an aerial designed for use with digital televisions.
Nope - definitely no such thing. The only thing about so-called "digital" aerials is they may differ in their channel grouping away from the traditional likes of A and C/D for example.
Yes, the old Telefield? antenna in my Grans loft must have been from the 70's but got perfect digital reception (even no issues when the recorder was in standby and the loop through connection was unpowered), it would even pick up the BBC Muxes from Wenvoe (~25mi to Mendip, ~45mi to Wenvoe) despite being in a different direction (though that's where BBC national radio came from).
Interestingly even using an indoor aerial pointed in roughly the right direction I don't think I ever got Stockland Hill despite it being only ~15mi away, though it isn't as powerful as Mendip.

Also as a test before DSO I managed to get a usable Freeview on a Fidelity portable (https://www.***********/photos/richard16378/49945083197/) simply using the TV's built in loop antenna!, I used a Freeview STB combined with a Ferguson VCR as a modulator (something it was made to do as you could enable the tuner/modulator it's own) and I was amazed that it worked. The location was quite high up in Crewkerne so had a somewhat Good line if sight to Mendip.

Telefield were a manufacturer of TV and radio aerials based in St Philips, Bristol.

Their aerials were well made, and many dating from the 1960s and 70s can still be seen on many of the rooftops in Bristol and surrounding areas. Obviously good quality aerials used by decent installers.

I remember buying parts and aerials directly from the factory into the early 2000s, but even then they were struggling financially due to the rise of the cheap contract type aerials and stuff from abroad.

The company is now defunct as far as I can make out, although the building still remains, almost derelict looking from the outside.

159 Kingsland Road, St Philips, not far from the back of Temple Meads Station.

See my posts back in 2014 on 405 aerials thread….

Post 329, dated 28 December 2015.

Last edited by Rhgbristol; 10th Mar 2023 at 11:56 pm.
Old 11th Mar 2023, 5:42 pm   #80
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

I've alwaysd been fascinated by the smaller manufacturers of TV antennas; Telerection, Telefield, Teleng [who also did a range of frequency-translating gear and distribution amplifiers for 'wired' TV] and, a few miles from me there was "Fringevision" who produced some interesting antennas etc. as well as running a wired signal-distribution network.

https://www.gazetteandherald.co.uk/n...ary-alan-wise/

https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...ad.php?t=32524

and see attached ad.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fringe.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	36.6 KB
ID:	274748