UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Telephony and Telecomms

Notices

Vintage Telephony and Telecomms Vintage Telephones, Telephony and Telecomms Equipment

Closed Thread

Old 17th Mar 2023, 11:33 pm   #1
Wishiknewmore
Hexode

Default Ericsson N1168 Telephone (I think)

Hello, I have just acquired what I believe is an Ericsson N1168 Railway Telephone from the 1930's, it is in a dirty worn condition, but appears to be complete and fairly untouched.

My immediate questions are what do the labels mean? "CHALLENGE BEFORE CALLING" and "FOR CODE RINGING". How and for what would it have been used?

My plan would be to clean it up and find a home for it on the hall wall, but as I can't think of a simple way to use it as a house phone so are there any thoughts to give it some meaningful or even meaningless function?

No, I am not suggesting putting a bulb holder on the top! something more like using the contacts to activate a zigbee switch or as a telephone ringer, doorbell extension?

Any ideas but something reversible?

Thanks in anticipation

Philip
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5277.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	66.0 KB
ID:	275221   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5281.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	114.5 KB
ID:	275222   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5285.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	135.5 KB
ID:	275223   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5287.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	144.0 KB
ID:	275224   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5288.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	79.9 KB
ID:	275225  

Old 19th Mar 2023, 12:31 am   #2
Graham G3ZVT
Dekatron

Default Re: Ericsson N1168 Telephone (I think)

My guess would be the "challenge" would be to use the telegraph bell system between signal boxes to indicate you want the other signalman on the phone rather than just ringing the phone.

If the key switch is spring loaded in the bottom position then you can manually key a particular cadence to indicate which party you are calling when there are thee or more phones sharing the line. Again, a guess on my part.
Old 19th Mar 2023, 1:22 am   #3
AC/HL
Dekatron

Challenge may just be to take the receiver off hook and check for a call in progress. If not, either call the exchange or use a ringing code to alert one of the other extensions. Seems an odd indication, not much help from the diagram: https://www.britishtelephones.com/ericsson/n1168.htm
Old 19th Mar 2023, 11:22 am   #4
Wishiknewmore
Hexode

Graham,
The switch is spring loaded so it rests in the middle, but against the up position, I also thought it could have been for tapping out some form of code but then would have been loaded again the bottom?

Bill, thanks for the link, that is where I found what it was

Although I initially dismissed using it with the land line, If I found a suitable AC bell box could it be used to receive calls?

Thanks Philip
Old 21st Mar 2023, 1:43 am   #5
ThePillenwerfer
Octode

It depends how bothered you are about keeping it original. You could fit an Induction Coil No 27 and wire it up like a 332CB. You could even go as far as replacing the switch with a dial.

If you don't mind having a battery in it you can make a thing that would use the incoming ringing signal to trigger it's original bell. Just fitting that and using it purely as an extension bell would be easily reversible so no vandalisum would be involved.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Ringing Adapter CCT.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	46.2 KB
ID:	275454  
Old 22nd Mar 2023, 12:05 pm   #6
Wishiknewmore
Hexode

Thank you for that suggestion about rectifying the bell signal, so obvious when someone else says it!
I will gather up the parts and have a go at that bit, the fitting the alternative induction coils would be a stage two

Thanks again Philip
Old 22nd Mar 2023, 5:53 pm   #7
ThePillenwerfer
Octode

The circuit above specifies a DC input of 12V but experiment first to see what the bell needs to work. If it'll ring on 6V or 9V it'll obviously make things easier battery-wise. If it's near a mains socket, and you don't mind an extra wire, you could, of course, use a wall-wart.

In case you can make PCBs details are attached.
Attached Files
File Type: zip Ringing Adapter.zip (54.4 KB, 15 views)
Old 23rd Mar 2023, 9:53 am   #8
Wishiknewmore
Hexode

Thanks for the PCB files, so far this has been beyond my competency levels, but there is always something else to try
Had a very quick try of the bell and no response at three volts , but checking the coils arn't open ( or shorted ) so hope , just a question of time and opportunity
I think I will be taking a cat 5e cable to to box, so should be able to supply some power remotely ( Not PoE)

Thanks again
Philip
Closed Thread