UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 3rd Feb 2023, 6:41 pm   #41
sourbiscuits
Pentode

Default Re: Uher Royal Stereo 784

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesperrett View Post
I bought a few of these

https://www.kenable.co.uk/en/audio-/...383488582.html

so that I could connect my DIN based gear to the rest of my setup. At least one of your connectors will have both input and output signals on it so you may need to use all 4 of the phono connectors on that cable.
I want to clarify the way this works before ordering. So if I understand correctly, there are 5 pins where 1 is ground, 2 are inputs L and R and the other 2 are outputs L and R?

I am not entirely sure what the speaker labled output types are (line level for ex.). I know the Radio input should be close to e line level input. I have tested it already and it works quite well. But then what is my line out? I find it strage to have inputs and outpus in one single socket.
Old 3rd Feb 2023, 10:20 pm   #42
DMcMahon
Dekatron

Part 1 of scanned User Manual. Have only included non English pages when there is either images on those pages or some English text.

David
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 1.pdf (2.75 MB, 20 views)
Old 3rd Feb 2023, 10:23 pm   #43
DMcMahon
Dekatron

Part 2 of scanned User Manual.

David
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 2.pdf (2.01 MB, 77 views)
Old 4th Feb 2023, 5:03 pm   #44
DMcMahon
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourbiscuits View Post

The unit is model 784E.
I do not know what the subtle differences are between a 784, 784E & 784S.

David
Old 4th Feb 2023, 6:14 pm   #45
DMcMahon
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourbiscuits View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesperrett View Post
I bought a few of these

https://www.kenable.co.uk/en/audio-/...383488582.html

so that I could connect my DIN based gear to the rest of my setup. At least one of your connectors will have both input and output signals on it so you may need to use all 4 of the phono connectors on that cable.
I want to clarify the way this works before ordering. So if I understand correctly, there are 5 pins where 1 is ground, 2 are inputs L and R and the other 2 are outputs L and R?

I am not entirely sure what the speaker labled output types are (line level for ex.). I know the Radio input should be close to e line level input. I have tested it already and it works quite well. But then what is my line out? I find it strage to have inputs and outpus in one single socket.
Yes you are correct (ref there are 5 pins where 1 is ground, 2 are inputs L and R and the other 2 are outputs L and R).

Yes DIN connector pinouts can be very confusing.

There is no 100% standard pinout but there are common pinout conventions, but there are many exceptions where the pinout can be different.

The common convention is that for tape recorders the inputs are pin 1 (left) & pin 4 (right) and outputs are pin 5 (right) & pin 3 (left).

For amplifiers the common convention is the opposite of tape recorders, i.e. inputs are pin 5 (right) & pin 3 (left) and outputs are pin 1 (left) & pin 4 (right).

It is quite common to have inputs and outputs on the same DIN connector.

Uher microphones are wired different from common convention, i.e. they are wired pin 3 (mono) and pins 3 & 5 (stereo), whereas most other microphones are wired to pins 1 and 4.

Another example of Uher differing from standard convention (at least for the 784) is the Phono DIN inputs being pins 3 & 5.

From schematic examination the line outputs for the 784 must be pins 3 and 5 of the Radio DIN, the Service manual list the output as 0.75V/4.7kOhms (but does not state it is the Radio DIN).

The adaptor cable information is not as helpful as it could be because it does not identify the DIN pin numbers or which side (i.e. front of rear) of the DIN connector it shows the Phono cable connections going to.

The speaker DINs are not line outputs, they are specified as 3V/4Ohms.

As discussed earlier in the Thread the speaker DIN connectors on the 784 are 3 pin and it depends which way round the 2 pin DIN connectors on the loudspeaker cables are plugged in, one way the external speaker will be connected & internal speakers will be disconnected, the other way around the internal speakers will be left connected together with connecting the external speakers.

David

Last edited by DMcMahon; 4th Feb 2023 at 6:23 pm. Reason: Update
Old 5th Feb 2023, 10:51 am   #46
sourbiscuits
Pentode

Hi David. Many thanks for providing the user manual. It really helps understand basic approach towards the functionality of my new recorder. I am also very thankful for the elaborate response on the 5 DIN socket. This is some really useful information for me as it helps me a lot in understanding these old standard input/output types.
Closed Thread