UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 2nd Jun 2022, 3:04 pm   #1
Linnovice
Hexode

Default Another PR99 Question . . .

Right, this is getting like Tenko!

I am finally there. The heads are perfect, the motors are perfect and it is now calibrated perfectly according to the manual in CAL mode. On the meters what goes in comes out perfectly on tape. On Quantegy 456 it sounds really great.

My questions is this. As I said, in CAL mode, on the signal generator and meters its perfect but, when I connect to a standard integrated amp (a Technic SU3500) being fed by tuner with full signal on Radio 3 the level that is coming out of the 'record out' into the deck is minimal. Minus 18 to 20dB at most. If I take it off CAL and use the record level controls I get it up to where I would expect it bouncing along just under 0dB with the occasional flash of red on the peak lights. I assume this is normal, but why?
Old 2nd Jun 2022, 3:10 pm   #2
TIMTAPE
Octode

Default Re: Another PR99 Question . . .

Maybe your are trying to feed the PR99's professional balanced inputs with consumer unbalanced outputs from your amp.
Old 2nd Jun 2022, 4:41 pm   #3
theredhouseinn
Hexode

Your PR99 line in is set to 775mv, the o/p from the amp is 150mv, 1 fifth.
Old 2nd Jun 2022, 5:20 pm   #4
Linnovice
Hexode

Quote:
Originally Posted by theredhouseinn View Post
Your PR99 line in is set to 775mv, the o/p from the amp is 150mv, 1 fifth.
Why would the output be so low? That does figure though, I've now bought it into my main system with the Linn AV5103 and its fine, a little low but more than acceptable.

I presume then, that anomaly can be addressed by the jumpers on the input board (if necessary)?
Old 2nd Jun 2022, 11:41 pm   #5
Analogue man
Hexode

It's not an anomaly 775mv is the professional studio level, it was never meant for domestic use.
Old 3rd Jun 2022, 12:31 am   #6
Radio Wrangler

775mV RMS into 600 ohms is 1mW and was decided upon as the reference level for telephone signals, and it all expanded form there.

David
Old 3rd Jun 2022, 1:28 pm   #7
Linnovice
Hexode

Ok, perhaps anomaly is the wrong word so apologies. But, there are three jumper settings on the input board to allow for connecting to domestic equipment (I presume). It doesn’t explain whether the deck should be setup at 775mV then move the jumper or, move the jumper and then set up at 775mV though.