UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 31st May 2022, 10:15 am   #1
Linnovice
Hexode

Default Meter Question

Morning all, I have a dumb question but unless you ask, you don't know.

I'm calibrating my PR99. On setting the VU meters it requires the same input as previously set. ie. 775mV 0dB all good so far. Then, to set the peak lights it requires an increase of +6dB on the signal. My signal generator only increases by +3dB. How do I get +6dB from this?

Sorry if its obvious but . . .
Old 31st May 2022, 10:32 am   #2
Ted Kendall
Dekatron

Default Re: Meter Question

6dB increase is a doubling of voltage.
Old 31st May 2022, 10:34 am   #3
Restoration73
Nonode

I assume the sig gen output is unbalanced, have you configured the XLR for unbalanced ?

You could use an audio step up transformer,one from an old transistor radio should work.
Old 31st May 2022, 11:56 am   #4
Linnovice
Hexode

Correct the sig gen is unbalanced (it is a v old Marconi valve job, very solid and steady). The signal comes out to a Philips Attentuator then a Leader mV meter and Frequencey counter then to a splitter into the line in of the deck.

The XLR plugs have hot going to pin 2 and 1 + 3 linked together with the cables terminated in RCA plugs with hot to centre pin and the linked screen and cold going to earth.

I do appreciate that +6dB is doubling the voltage but if the sig gen won't go high enough how do you double the output.

What I've done is set the sig gen Attenuator to +10dB, dialed my mV meters to the 3V range and then wound the trimmer back to -4dB on the meter scale. It seems to work but I've no idea whether it is the right way or not.

The meter on the sig gen is still indicating .775mV 0dB.