UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 25th May 2022, 8:16 pm   #1
n.kelly3613
Triode

Default Tape playback sounds muffled on JVC 3060UK. Do I need a new tape head?

Hello, I have a JVC 3060UK radio, cassette and TV combo set. It is a very well built and very good value set in my opinion.

Every feature works on it perfectly except for one thing; tape playback. The tapes play to the correct speed as I have adjusted the governor in the motor (comparing a known good tape with a song on it to a digital recording until they stayed in sync.) but I have noticed that only one side of one tape I have will play on it. I have tried 5 other tapes that are known good, I have tried them in another deck and they sound crystal clear but in this deck they all sound muffled and it is so bad that you cannot understand words.

The one tape that works is a simple re-recordable tape (yes I have tried other re recordable tapes) but only one side sounds okay. It doesn't sound great, lacking in treble even with the bass turned all the way down and treble turned all the way up. The tape heads do have some very shiny faces and have about a groove that I can catch with my fingernail very noticeably. The playback head has a vertical rectangular hole in the middle which spans the width of the tape [IMAGE ATTATCHED] and the record head has a little vertical white line but no hole.

If I try to record onto tape (I use brand new old stock tapes) then the recording is very very quiet even when played back on another tape deck. Increasing the input volume causes the recording to distort. If I press record with no tape inside (bypassing the write protect mechanism) and play sound into the input jack at standard headphones volumes, the sound coming out of the speaker is at a good volume with plenty more volume to give when turning up the radio's volume dial. The issue seems to be within the playback and recording of tapes which is why I believe my heads could be junk. Can anyone offer me any advice? If I need to replace my heads, how can I find new compatible heads?

EXTRA INFO

Input audio for recording has been tested using output from a known good Hi-Fi system and also from my mobile phone. (Same results)

I have no access to any remotely advanced meters such as volt meters, ammeters etc.

I can take the set apart and reassemble it confidently and I know my electrical safety.

There are no loose connections inside of the set and everything inside besides the heads looks to be in perfect condition, hardly any dust at all.

Thank you reading and helping, Have a nice day .
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tape heads.png
Views:	83
Size:	152.9 KB
ID:	257776  
Old 25th May 2022, 8:28 pm   #2
TIMTAPE
Octode

Default Re: Tape playback sounds muffled on JVC 3060UK. Do I need a new tape head?

From your description and photo it looks as if the head gap has "opened out", meaning the head needs to be replaced.
Old 25th May 2022, 8:30 pm   #3
n.kelly3613
Triode

Default Re: Tape playback sounds muffled on JVC 3060UK. Do I need a new tape head?

Thank you for responding so fast, How would I be able to find one that I know will be compatible with my deck?
Old 26th May 2022, 6:37 am   #4
TIMTAPE
Octode

That could be tricky these days.

The head in your JVC looks to be a combination record/play type making it easier. Obviously the replacement needs to be physically identical for screw holes, contact with the tape, and tape guide on the same side of the head. Then reasonably electrically similar. If you're only playing back tapes that may not be so critical.

I'm in OZ. Others might be better placed to advise on possible sources/companies still supplying new "universal" cassette head replacements in your neck of the woods. Sometimes the physical dimensions are listed with the product.
Old 26th May 2022, 9:27 am   #5
Analogue man
Hexode

A certain well known auction site has brand new heads available for £12 that may well solve your problem.