UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 30th Jan 2017, 12:44 am   #21
michamoo
Hexode

Default Re: Sticky Cassette Tapes

One pre-recorded cassette that gave me problems was Kajagoogoos Islands album. Just checked and you guessed it EMI..
Old 30th Jan 2017, 1:14 am   #22
Grubhead
Heptode

I have currently 18 EMI Super C90 tapes that have it.
Plus a Captain and Tennile 20 Greatest Hits tape. MFP 50492. But it also carries the EMI logo.

The cover of the blank cassettes is shown below
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	EMI tape cover.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	90.6 KB
ID:	136679  
Old 30th Jan 2017, 3:56 pm   #23
Timvintage
Pentode

I have found similar results too, I find the worst tapes to be many pre-recorded ones from the late 70s and early 80s. I usually just chuck these ones out as they're not worth saving in my opinion.
I have found Philips and earlier basf tapes to shed a lot of oxide, meaning you have to clean the heads every few minutes! However if you wind the tape all the way through a couple times, I have found this will get most of the loose oxide stuff off, and then there are few problems afterwords.
I recently got hold of some cassettes of the top 40 from the late 70s and early 80s that someone was going to chuck out! They are recorded from vhf too! They are recorded on Racal Zonal cassettes, and they were getting very jammed up, but I obviously wasn't going to give up with these tapes, so I eventually got them to fastforward all the way through, very, very slowly, but once I had got them to do that once, they seam to have freed up, for now at any rate!
Closed Thread