UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 26th Jan 2017, 2:31 pm   #1
JimiJimi
Retired Dormant Member

Default Uher 4000 Report Monitor

Hello folks, wonder if any of you can help me?

I bought an old (and fairly sorry-looking) ex-beeb Uher a while ago.
Opened it up gave it good clean and shored up some loose connections, and it worked! for about sixty seconds.

Got the meter out and started looking for bad components, found a dead resistor but can't find any information on it or a replacement, can anyone help me out?

I've attached a picture of the thing, the markings are:
Philips
300p
J250
KP M9

There may well be other problems with the machine, but I'd like to get this sorted first. Appreciate any help anyone can give me!

Cheers
Jimi
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Uher Resistor.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	49.2 KB
ID:	136527  
Old 26th Jan 2017, 4:58 pm   #2
Clydeuk
Hexode

Default Re: Uher 4000 Report Monitor

That looks like a capacitor to me. How do you know it's dead?
Old 26th Jan 2017, 5:29 pm   #3
ms660
Dekatron

Polystyrene capacitor is my guess.

Lawrence.
Old 26th Jan 2017, 7:26 pm   #4
camtechman
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimiJimi View Post
found a dead resistor
It's not a resistor it's a capacitor and it's value is: 300pF 250V

What is your level of electronics knowledge because Uhers need quite a good knowledge of electronics and components, plus a good skill in electro-mechanics to repair.

Last edited by camtechman; 26th Jan 2017 at 7:33 pm.
Old 27th Jan 2017, 12:36 am   #5
Pine Marten
Tetrode

I would download the service manuals and familiarize yourself with the workings of the machine. I got mine from Hi Fi Engine, for free. These are quite complex machines and are capable of remarkably good performance when sorted. Greatly undervalued and under appreciated, they were expensive new in their day, but for some reason, are not seen by most as desirable as a Nagra, for example. When you tried it, was it on batteries or a known good mains adapter? Any funny smells? Is it totally dead or does the transport run but no sound or hiss from the speaker or vica versa?
Closed Thread