UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 17th Jan 2017, 2:06 am   #1
sun209union
Retired Dormant Member

Question Panasonic CW200 speed issues any help out there please,,

Hi all, new on here. I'm trying to get around the site, good to be a part of this great site, so much information.

Well, please can anyone help with some advice. I recently bought a Panasonic CW 200. Most of my little collection are Sharp, as they've always been my favourite, but I bought this as it's said to be an icon of the boombox world, although in my opinion that's going a little too far.

Problems started with deck 1. I found it started to play a little too fast, so I kept playing it trying other cassettes. After a while it was fine, back to normal speed. I then left it a day, turned it on, and the tape deck was playing fast but this time faster than before. Same thing, after say 20 minutes it's fine. This time it's been left 5 days, I turned it on and the tape deck is playing at I'd say 5 time the speed, well fast and even RW & FF is so very fast it's unbelievable. Left it playing though, in Auto reverse mode. Went back some 40 minutes later. The speed is now slower than it should be. Start stop it, rewind and fast forward, starts playing at the right speed then starts playing slightly slow, seems to be up and down.

Tape deck 2 currently is fine, it's so frustrating as it's a nice looking box and cost me way to much. Can anyone help me with advice, or is it past it's sell by date and heading for boombox hell?
Old 17th Jan 2017, 1:00 pm   #2
Grubhead
Heptode

Default Re: Panasonic CW200 speed issues any help out there please,,

Sounds to me like some form of transistor acting up connected to the motor control circuit of deck one. Possibly a voltage control or stabilising circuit. Since it is changing the speed erratically. If deck two is separately driven, then you have a good working circuit to compare the bad one too, since they will be the same circuit, just duplicated.
I would suspect any transistor or semi-conductor that has a heat sink on it. To find the motor power supply section follow the leads from each motor.
Old 17th Jan 2017, 1:01 pm   #3
sylar2a
Triode

Wild guess: Power supply circut capacitor gone wild?
Old 17th Jan 2017, 6:16 pm   #4
sun209union
Retired Dormant Member

Thanks guys. Oh dear my worst nightmare, as I'm okay with mechanical taking apart putting it back & changing belts etc, but lost with electrics
Old 19th Jan 2017, 6:03 am   #5
camtechman
Nonode

sun209union,

The first thing you'll need to obtain is the Service Manual which will provide you with the Circuit Diagram, Component Identification and Disassembly Instructions.

Without one you'll get nowhere.

Fortunately (as these SM's are not always obtainable) but you can buy and download one from here and it seems to be a reasonable price:

http://www.panasonic.owner-manuals.c...PANASONIC.html

Once you have it, you can scan it and upload the relevant page/s on here and we can advise you better where to look for the fault.

Last edited by camtechman; 19th Jan 2017 at 6:08 am.
Closed Thread