UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 28th Mar 2023, 8:03 pm   #1
martin.m
Hexode

Default Cartridge for 78rpm records

I have been using a 1950s radiogram fitted with a Garrard SP25 Mk4 and Sonotone 3559 cartridge for playing my 78s. The cartridge is now faulty so I've been looking for a replacement. Where have all the crystal and ceramic cartridges gone? Checking on Ebay, some are going for over £40. The best I can find is a used Sonotone without a stylus for around £20. Would I be better off going magnetic and fitting a suitable preamp? I like to play the records on the period radiogram and am not interested in using computer software to enhance the sound. Any advice would be appreciated. I bought a cheap unbranded turnover cartridge but it was absolute rubbish.
Old 28th Mar 2023, 8:27 pm   #2
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Default Re: Cartridge for 78rpm records

I would look out for a good used BSR SC11 or SC12.
Old 28th Mar 2023, 10:57 pm   #3
ben
Dekatron

The Banpa and Chuo Denshi clones (metal shank stylus type) are perfectly respectable carts if you can't get an SC 11/12.
Don't throw away the Sonotone, either - they can be fixed, as I have shown in an old thread on here!
Old 29th Mar 2023, 8:59 am   #4
Chiltern
Heptode

I have used this type in the past with good results in Hackers. Turn under type.

PM if any interest

Alan
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ASIDSCN1269.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	109.5 KB
ID:	275968  
Old 29th Mar 2023, 11:52 am   #5
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

It reads like the Garrard SP25 MK4 is a later replacement for what was originally fitted to your 1950's Radiogram. At best you will need a replacement cartridge that gives c.250mV output. Search out BSR X5M, SC11M or SC12H. If not, then buy one of the low-price Chinese cartridges that Ben has recommended. These sell for up to £14.00, but do ensure it is fitted with a 1/2" standard mount. Remember any true stereo cartridge you buy will need its LH and RH channels bridging on the tag card under the SP25. All the cartridges above are stereo except for the desirable X5M stereo-compatible type.
Old 29th Mar 2023, 7:34 pm   #6
Chris R
Pentode

Re. Ben and Edward's comment on using the Chinese cartridges, there is a 1/2"mount advertised on a certain auction website. Search for : P188D CZ800 to half inch mount cartridge adapter (£3.99). This would appear to solve the problem of fitting these to many T/T's.

Chris R
Old 17th Apr 2023, 10:17 pm   #7
martin.m
Hexode

Thanks for your replies and information. Being retired, there aren't enough hours in the day, but I finally found a little time for audio repairs. Ben, I read your post on repairing Sonotones. Unfortunately the support for the stylus has disintegrated on mine so probably can't be repaired. I thought of using one of the Chinese cartridges with a suitable mount, but really needed a turnover stylus for LPs and 78s. Edward, you are correct, the original Collaro auto changer has been replaced with an SP25 Mk4. I have the two stereo channels connected in parallel for mono operation and there is enough output to drive the two stage valve amplifier circuit in the radiogram.

Looking through my boxes of old parts produced an Acos GP93-1 with a broken stylus. I found an Ebay seller with a large collection of new old stock vintage stylii, and was able to buy a new LP/78 stylus. All fitted now and playing 78s happily again. Finding a new crystal cartridge would have been a simple job 50 years ago. Alan, I may contact you regarding those cartridges in your picture. I bought a similar looking one from a seller based in China. It works but I don't think either of the stylus tips are suitable for 78s.
Old 18th Apr 2023, 9:29 am   #8
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

That Acos GP93-1 gives c.250mv output so it will be ideal for loading the 2 stage amplifier. Now I have read on other Threads (somewhere on here?) that those generic Chinese flip-under LP/78 styli don't have the correct tip for 78s.
Old 18th Apr 2023, 12:10 pm   #9
Chris R
Pentode

I have used a number of these flip under cartridges and have fitted a BSR ST 16 (LPS-78)
stylus .
Seem to work on a par with the SC12M.

Chris R
Old 18th Apr 2023, 12:44 pm   #10
wd40addict
Octode

https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...27&postcount=3
Old 18th Apr 2023, 4:15 pm   #11
Hartley118
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Huggins View Post
That Acos GP93-1 gives c.250mv output so it will be ideal for loading the 2 stage amplifier. Now I have read on other Threads (somewhere on here?) that those generic Chinese flip-under LP/78 styli don't have the correct tip for 78s.
Certainly the Chinese one which I examined under the microscope had two identical LP styli despite the 'flip lever' being labelled '78'.

Martin