UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Other Discussions > Forum Announcements and Comments

Notices

Forum Announcements and Comments Announcements about forum changes will be made in this section. All new threads here now require moderator approval.

Closed Thread

Old 6th Mar 2023, 9:21 pm   #1
Cathovisor
Banned

Default Inserting images in PMs

I just tried to place an image in a PM using the icon which asks for an image URL, so I uploaded an image to Postimage.

When I previewed the message, all I got was a redacted URL - why?
Old 6th Mar 2023, 10:46 pm   #2
Red to black
Nonode

Default Re: Inserting images in PMs

As far as I am aware you cannot post images in PMs for obvious reasons, namely because the staff would have no control over what was sent which could well be illegal and/or offensive images if you catch my drift.
Old 6th Mar 2023, 11:01 pm   #3
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Best to put the photo in your "album" and link to that
Old 6th Mar 2023, 11:07 pm   #4
Cathovisor
Banned

Seems a bit daft to have a function available that's disabled... but what do I know?

Would placing an image in an "album" allow placing in a PM?
Old 6th Mar 2023, 11:13 pm   #5
Red to black
Nonode

Hi Catho because as I said the forum could/would be liable in the case of any illegal images exchanged via PM, whereas they could remove them in a timely manner if posted in an album or thread, not that I am suggesting you or I or the many upstanding forum members would do this, however you get spammers and other unscrupulous members signed up however briefly whom might.
Old 6th Mar 2023, 11:46 pm   #6
paulsherwin

The mods are currently discussing this.
Old 7th Mar 2023, 2:11 am   #7
Paul Stenning
Administrator

URLs are redacted or censored (by replacing with **** characters) if they are deemed unacceptable for posting on the forum. This may be remote image hosting services, service data websites that compete with the one up top, known to contain malicious or illegal content, and various other things. URLs are added to the list when discovered.

Remote image services are blocked because the images may disappear or be replaced, making the threads they are in useless or confusing. The reasons for other blocks should be obvious.

The PM system uses the same list and works in the same way, because that’s how the forum software works.

Attachments are not allowed in PMs due to server space usage and because the moderators can’t check and remove any unsuitable ones.

If you want to send images to someone privately then send a PM asking for their email address or WhatsApp or something. Or use one of the big file sharing services such as Dropbox, Google Drive or Microsoft OneDrive and send that URL (those aren’t blocked).

The PM system is intended for brief individual discussions such as addresses and payment information for things you are buying or selling. It is not intended to be an alternative to email or messaging services.

Paul Stenning
Forum Admin/Owner and BVWS Webmaster
Old 7th Mar 2023, 11:24 am   #8
Cathovisor
Banned

I could have added the image to the thread, except threads get closed with rapid zeal on here.

Fair enough. Your forum, your rules.
Old 7th Mar 2023, 11:25 am   #9
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathovisor View Post
Well said, you'll go far here

But don't forget you can ask a moderator to re-open a thread. They nearly always oblige, unless it's been closed for good reason, e.g. for being too off-topic, argumentative, etc.

Most simply get closed automatically because they've been dormant for a while.
Old 7th Mar 2023, 12:41 pm   #10
Paul Stenning
Administrator

Quote:
I could have added the image to the thread, except threads get closed with rapid zeal on here.
Threads close automatically after 6 months of inactivity but can be reopened on request. This is to reduce the likelihood of new discussions being tacked onto the end of long-dormant threads.

Threads are also closed manually if they are off-topic (either initially or drifted and reminders haven't worked), argumentative, break the forum rules in some way, requested for a good reason, or have reached a natural conclusion. A reason will be added if it's not obvious.

Quote:
Two decades of experience, trial-and-error and adjustments to ensure the smooth running of the forum.

Paul Stenning
Forum Admin/Owner and BVWS Webmaster
Old 7th Mar 2023, 1:05 pm   #11
Cobaltblue

As the question has been comprehensively covered it's time to close this thread.

Cheers

Mike T
Closed Thread