UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 31st Mar 2022, 3:48 pm   #1
ben
Dekatron

Default GRUNDIG GDM313 mic disassembly?

I picked this up some time ago at a flea market, but the cable has been abused and sound is intermittent. I want to open it up and replace the lead, but can't for the life of me work out how to get the head off. Anyone know? TIA!
Old 31st Mar 2022, 4:03 pm   #2
Reelman
Octode

Default Re: GRUNDIG GDM313 mic disassembly?

I have wondered the same thing myself for the last 50 years! I reckon either there is a screw under the label or the metal head is glued in. Never had the courage myself to investigate further, nice mics, came included with TK121, 141 etc tape recorders. Dual impedance I believe via internal transformer.
Do let us know how you get on, good luck.

Peter
Old 31st Mar 2022, 8:51 pm   #3
DMcMahon
Dekatron

I had one of these (or maybe the GDM 314 which I think is basically the same) apart a while back because it had stopped working, could not easily find the fault.

Cannot remember it being difficult as such, I need to find it to refresh my memory.

David
Old 1st Apr 2022, 9:18 am   #4
vidjoman
Dekatron

The RM site says 'made of plastic, head glued on'
Old 1st Apr 2022, 9:48 am   #5
ben
Dekatron

Thanks for the responses. So far no joy. I have tried gripping and 'unscrewing' the head from the black body but it won't budge (may try this with a vice). Must be fixed with Garrard Grease or something I also tried 'lifting' the metal mesh over the mic insert by inserting and levering a small hook in some of the holes, but that too wouldn't shift.

The loose connection is either in the lead where it exits the body, or inside on one of the connectors. It's so frustrating, as this would be a 5 minuite fix.

I think the hacksaw may have to come out soon!
Old 1st Apr 2022, 11:14 pm   #6
DMcMahon
Dekatron

I have found my GDM 314 and I now see I previously only got inside the DIN connector to check the wiring and the transformer (which resides in the DIN connector) and like Ben I also cannot remove/get inside the head.

David
Old 28th May 2022, 2:35 am   #7
Reelman
Octode

Any developments?

Peter
Old 28th May 2022, 2:36 pm   #8
ben
Dekatron

It's still sitting on the desk looking at me, daring me

So far I have only tried gripping, twisting, pulling, but will likely end up putting it in a vice and using more force.

I would really love to know what the hell they glued it toghether with.
Old 30th May 2022, 9:39 am   #9
DMcMahon
Dekatron

No progress on my 314 either, like Ben will have to resort to extreme force I think.

David
Old 30th May 2022, 9:51 am   #10
ben
Dekatron

I peeled away the silver trim/model badge and the exposed recess suggests that the metal head extends down into the black body some way, there's a sort of internal collar by the look of it.
Old 30th May 2022, 10:02 pm   #11
DMcMahon
Dekatron

I tried unsuccessfully to remove the silver badge label on my GDM 314 but only managed to scratch the surface.

After eating spinach I tried extra hard and managed to remove the top black piece by twisting the body in one direction and the black top piece in the opposite direction. With the top microphone insert lifted out there is a large circlip visible which I have not tried to remove yet.

David
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	55.4 KB
ID:	258101   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	90.0 KB
ID:	258102  
Old 30th May 2022, 10:16 pm   #12
DMcMahon
Dekatron

Looking at some photos of the GDM 313 I see that although similar to the GDM 314 there are differences so the 313 head fixing method may be different.

On my 314 the head was not glued to the body.

David
Old 31st May 2022, 5:23 pm   #13
DMcMahon
Dekatron

On my 314 removed the circlip which just fits in a groove around the inside of the body, its only purpose appears to be for the microphone capsule assembly to sit down against, the screen of the 2 core screened cable from the DIN connector is also soldered to the circlip.

I think the capsule flat wire screen may also have been soldered to the circlip, this broke off when removing the head.

The microphone capsule is shown on the schematic as 200 Ohms impedance, my one is totally open circuit so looks like this microphone will be heading for the bin.

David
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	78.7 KB
ID:	258143  
Old 1st Jun 2022, 6:52 pm   #14
DMcMahon
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMcMahon View Post

After eating spinach I tried extra hard and managed to remove the top black piece by twisting the body in one direction and the black top piece in the opposite direction.

David
This was achieved by holding the microphone body in left hand with the head pointing to the right, then using right hand strongly trying to rotate the head clockwise while keeping the body either stationary or trying to rotate the body anti-clockwise. This feels like it is the incorrect direction to loosen the head.

If the head moves then after around 45 degrees rotation it can then be pulled away from the body.

David
Closed Thread