UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Offered and Wanted Messages > Sets, Parts and Service Information Wanted (private buyers only, no swaps)

Notices

Sets, Parts and Service Information Wanted (private buyers only, no swaps) If you need help obtaining components, sets or equipment, post a message here. Private buyers only - no traders. No swaps.

Closed Thread

Old 19th Nov 2019, 4:52 pm   #1
electronwilly
Hexode

Location: Westerhope, Newcastle Upon Tyne, Tyne and Wear, UK.
Default Eurosonic PP-1205GS CB power supply

Looking for a circuit diagram for the above 5 amp regulated power supply, they were usually used to power CB radios, many thanks Billy G7LER.
Old 19th Nov 2019, 5:00 pm   #2
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Default Re: Eurosonic PP-1205GS CB power supply

The internals to these were pretty-much 'generic' - same thing was sold under loads of different brands so it may be worth doing some much more-general searches and see if you can find something that looks close?

[the brands I remember were Tarren and Altai].
Old 19th Nov 2019, 6:07 pm   #3
Diabolical Artificer
Dekatron

"The internals to these were pretty-much 'generic' 2 indeed, I have an Altai which as you say is 4 big diodes, a big-ish cap, a 723 or similar voltage regulator chip and a series pass tranny, usually a 2N3055 and a handful of resistors. A look at a 723 (or whatever voltage reg IC is in yours) datasheet/application note should give you a good idea of what's what.

With the Altai I have, the IC kept dying but I was mis-using it as a battery charger, charging it turns out duff motorbike batteries.

Andy.
Old 19th Nov 2019, 7:17 pm   #4
Techman
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diabolical Artificer View Post
With the Altai I have, the IC kept dying but I was mis-using it as a battery charger, charging it turns out duff motorbike batteries.
You have to be careful not to let the battery feed back into some of these power supplies when using them as battery chargers. The rule is to switch the power supply on first with nothing connected to it and make sure the output voltage is more than the battery is likely to be - hard luck if there's a power cut during charging!
Old 19th Nov 2019, 8:16 pm   #5
SiriusHardware
Dekatron

The primary failure mode with these when used for their actual purpose was always the 2N3055 or similar power transistor failing short-circuit from collector to emitter, causing the full unregulated voltage - often +18V or much more - to emerge from the output.

If there's anything unfortunate enough to be running on it when this happens the main initial warning is that the meter backlight on the set will be VERY bright.
Closed Thread