UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Telephony and Telecomms

Notices

Vintage Telephony and Telecomms Vintage Telephones, Telephony and Telecomms Equipment

Closed Thread

Old 29th Aug 2020, 11:38 pm   #21
GlenTyan
Triode

Default Re: International Direct Dialling (IDD) provision throughout the UK

Yes, Yarnfield, Stone, Staffs ... and worthy of a thread on its own.
Old 30th Aug 2020, 12:20 am   #22
Dai Corner
Hexode

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadgage View Post
I recall reading about a public house in Northern Ireland, but very close to the border, that had a phone in the bar connected to a number in the Irish republic.
The saving in call costs was significant if using this phone to call an Irish number.
If calling from Great Britain, a call to the Irish republic was "international" and very expensive, whereas by use of a phone that was already "in" the republic only a local charge was payable.

The increase in trade was said to be substantial. I presume that the pub also had another telephone with a northern Irish number.
I believe that all landline calls within the island of Ireland are now charged at 'domestic' rates even if they are cross-border so the arrangement described would have no advantage.

Maybe an Irish forum member can give some more detail?
Old 30th Aug 2020, 11:45 am   #23
Pellseinydd
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadgage View Post
I recall reading about a public house in Northern Ireland, but very close to the border, that had a phone in the bar connected to a number in the Irish republic.
The saving in call costs was significant if using this phone to call an Irish number.
If calling from Great Britain, a call to the Irish republic was "international" and very expensive, whereas by use of a phone that was already "in" the republic only a local charge was payable.

The increase in trade was said to be substantial. I presume that the pub also had another telephone with a northern Irish number.
Calls from Northern Ireland have never been charged at International Rates.

See attached which shows them charged at the 'b' rate - for dialling Dublin using the 0001 STD code was the same as dialling Director areas in Great Britain - taken from a Ballymena (Northern Ireland) STD Code book in 1980.

For exchanges in Great Britain, calls to the Irish Republic were not listed in the 'International Calls' pages. They appear in the 'Inland Call Charges' section, shown at the 'IR' rate barely any more than calling the Channel Islands which had a special rate slight more than the 'more than 56 km' rate.

From the Irish Republic, there was a special prefix for calling Northern Ireland. This was initially 08 followed by the UK STD Code and number in full except for Belfast which was 084 followed by the Belfast number.

The rest of Great Britain was accessed by dialling 03 followed by the STD code and number except for Director areas which were accessed by dialling 034 the STD Code minus the initial '0' i.e London was 0341 followed by the seven digit number, Birmingham 03421, through to Manchester with 03461 plus the seven digit number.

However it has since been changed to 048 followed by the remainder of the number after the 028 National Dialling code for Northern Ireland ad 00 44 plus National Code less initial '0' followed by the number.

Northern Ireland Geographic Numbers from the Republic, using either the “048” or “00 44 28” access code are charged at a Republic's National rate.

Current Irish call charges can be found here

BT customers in Northern Ireland can also make local and national calls on their calling plan to landlines throughout Ireland - see here . So the 'pub' story doesn't seem that convincing
Old 30th Aug 2020, 1:39 pm   #24
broadgage
Nonode

I recall reading about the pub telephone many years ago.
I appreciate that calls between Northern Ireland and the Irish Republic are not charged at international rates these days, but suspect that the position was different decades ago, when phone calls in general and international calls in particular were far more expensive.
Old 30th Aug 2020, 4:52 pm   #25
Pellseinydd
Heptode

Approx fifty years ago, calls to the Irish Republic weren't charged at a higher rate from Northern Ireland as I previously pointed out but forgot to attach the scan of the prices.

From the early days of being able to into the Irish Republic, the call charges were the same as calling a number in the UK.

For instance to call a Dublin number from Northern Ireland, when the 0001 code was first introduced, the call was charge at the then STD 'b' rate for calls over 56km which was the same rate for dialling any of the UK Director areas. And as can be seen for the 1973 prices when more 000X codes had been introduced in the UK, the calls to the Republic were the same rate as dialling the rest of the UK.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1973-UK-Call-Charges.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	79.5 KB
ID:	214637   Click image for larger version

Name:	IrishRepublic-fm-N-Ireland-charges.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	83.4 KB
ID:	214638   Click image for larger version

Name:	IrishRepublic-fm-UK.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	104.3 KB
ID:	214639  
Old 5th Sep 2020, 6:53 am   #26
Dai Corner
Hexode

When the first telephones and exchanges appeared in Ireland in the 1880s and up until 1922 no calls within the island or to/from Great Britain would have been international, of course. I suspect that that only calls between the Republic and Great Britain have ever been treated as such and the story was originally about a pub near a different international border but has been adapted by someone without knowledge of the history of Ireland or its telephone service.

I found this piece about the history of the Irish telephone system, by the way.
http://www.tara.tcd.ie/bitstream/han...=1&isAllowed=y
Closed Thread